S5 Exhaust Valve Mod

My money says you will end up getting one :yum:

2 grand is 2 grand man haha. I'll end up getting the bug and getting Eibach springs and spacers etc. Only to trade the car in in a couple of years. Not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks a pretty neat solution!

It does and the cheapest i've seen yet.... However yesterday i just unplugged the valves to see what its like....

People have mentioned a drone but we have a modified TTRS convertible so this is quiet!

Last edited:
Reactions: Thundercliffe81
It does and the cheapest i've seen yet.... However yesterday i just unplugged the valves to see what its like....

People have mentioned a drone but we have a modified TTRS convertible so this is quiet!

There's little to no drone at all with them unplugged.

There's little to no drone at all with them unplugged.

Personal option. I find there is quite a drone, more noticeable at 80mph than under as the revs are higher. I've still left mine unplugged though :icon thumright:

First time post on this forum. I have been led astray and have ordered a Milltek cat back system for my 2017 S5 coupe will be delivered and fitted within 2-3 weeks. Found it for 1600 inc fitting which is a very good price but still a mad decisio ln when its a lease. Ah well, all be in milk floats in 10 years may as well enjoy engine noise whilat its here.

Has no body looked into the fuse removal option?
I've just picked up a new RS5 and even with the rs sports exhaust it' a bit lame (coming from an m4 comp pack with MPE).
Was going to disconnect the valves, but just can't get to the drivers side.
On the m4 it was just a fuse out job??

Has no body looked into the fuse removal option?
I've just picked up a new RS5 and even with the rs sports exhaust it' a bit lame (coming from an m4 comp pack with MPE).
Was going to disconnect the valves, but just can't get to the drivers side.
On the m4 it was just a fuse out job??

I have an RS5 on the way pick it up next week. also has the sports exhaust. have you had any luck?

Reactions: MagicmanUK
Not with the fuse. I'e unplugged both valves and seem to be getting a few more burbles and woofles.
I have been told by another owner that they sound much better as they bed in and the engine loosens up.
I'l give it a few months before I pursue other options.

OK i may just do the same in that case. wonder if i ask the dealer will do it for me

Reactions: MagicmanUK
Not with the fuse. I'e unplugged both valves and seem to be getting a few more burbles and woofles.
I have been told by another owner that they sound much better as they bed in and the engine loosens up.
I'l give it a few months before I pursue other options.

I do have to agree with that, unplugged mine around 20o miles in. Now at 3000 miles an it sounds good in Efficiency mode too!

I'e had the PCW mod done on my rs5. Need a bit more time to capture all the cracks bangs whumpfs and farts it' unleashed but a couple of quick vids from today

Reactions: sohail579
I have been reliably informed this can be done via coding with no errors.
In touch with someone and will see how much etc....

How have you got on with this option?

Vagcarcoding have told me they can do it.
Has anybody actually got there's coded? Wouldn't want to travel the distance for then to be told ’can't be done’.

I've just come across this thread as I was looking for clues on how to switch to cold start mode on demand.

I have a Capristo exhaust on my RS5 but I do not have the optional manual control box because I want the car to control the exhaust so it is noisy in Dynamic mode but quiet in Comfort mode. And most importantly when left in "AUTO" the car will switch between them depending on how you are driving. The Capristo control box in contrast, decides for itself what it wants to do (although it is programmable) but it does have the option on the remote control to "open the valves fully" and that switches it to cold start mode which was quite tempting I admit! It was also an additional £700 which was not so...

When the car starts from cold the noise is phenomenal and occasionally one has a desire to engage this when cruising town :)

The Capristo must be different to the standard exhaust because in Dynamic mode the valves are actually fully open, yet when the cold start is running it makes a lot MORE noise so there must be some other valves in there somewhere.

Does anyone know what happens in cold start in terms of what signals are sent where in order to make this happen?

There is a two wire plug in my boot next to a vacuum storage bottle thing. If I unplug this wire then the exhaust valves stay where they are no matter what. If you disconnect in Dynamic they stay open if you switch to Comfort and if you disconnect in Comfort mode they stay closed if you switch to Dynamic mode. So that all makes sense.

Now - if you disconnect the wire before starting the engine from cold, it never switches to cold start noise, it just stays the same as in Dynamic mode when the car is warmed up. However, if I start the car from cold and then disconnect the wire during the cold start noise period then it stays at full noisy. That's a bit confusing if the same wire pair controls the normal and cold start valve. Isn't it?

So I could run a wire to a switch on the dash to make or break that connection, but this wouldn't allow me to select cold start mode at will because it only ever happens when the engine starts from cold after it has been parked for a few hours.

Any clues welcome.

Incidentally, although the car does make sweet music when you use Dynamic mode and especially the "BRAP!" you get with any manual or auto change down, it is not intrusive when you are cruising and if you want quiet, you just switch to Comfort mode anyway and then it sounds pretty much standard really. Very useful for overtaking horses!

Read loads of threads about the exhaust flap mod and now I’ve had my car a few months been thinking about it and decided why bother? I love the fact that with the touch of a button I can make the car lovely and quiet and then make it louder again really don’t see why people would want to unplug them?

I have noticed something today. When you first start the car up it is noticeably louder then it quietens down. I normally drive mine in ‘individual’ mode with everything set to ‘Dynamic, except for the engine. It normally just sounds like anything but dynamic. What I have discovered is once you start it up change to dynamic and then after a 5 /10 seconds change it to individual again with the same setting the car is louder. I think there is some software issue there where the car doesn’t store the settings. I have found this with the eco mode as well.

I am thinking now that the cold start sound is purely because of the secondary air but I don't understand it. If you drive off when in cold start it sounds positively raucous but as soon as that is done you are back to "normal" valve flaps fully open sound which is a lot quieter. There is obviously something going on in there that makes it different. It is just that the inner child in me would like to make that noise on purpose sometimes! :)

I have to agree with Kirbz. I get the same sound level whether I am in Dynamic mode or with the valves disconnected and I feel it is important to be able to switch modes. Sometimes you need the car to be quiet. On my car there is no reason to not have the valves connected because like Kirbz, it is quiet in Comfort mode and loud as soon as you switch to Dynamic or Individual as I also have most of that set to Dynamic or Auto. I guess different models work differently or it may be down to my Capristo exhaust doing it differently. They are not terribly forthcoming about it which I suppose is understandable.

Incidentally, I have my steering set to Comfort in the Individual setting because I get almost no feel through the steering anyway and I see little point in just making the steering stiffer when there is no other advantage. Does anyone else find that? I have the 20 inch wheels with 275 tyres.

I have noticed something today. When you first start the car up it is noticeably louder then it quietens down. I normally drive mine in ‘individual’ mode with everything set to ‘Dynamic, except for the engine. It normally just sounds like anything but dynamic. What I have discovered is once you start it up change to dynamic and then after a 5 /10 seconds change it to individual again with the same setting the car is louder. I think there is some software issue there where the car doesn’t store the settings. I have found this with the eco mode as well.
Every ignition cycle Audi take the car out of Dynamic even if Dynamic is showing on the dash. You need to cycle through the driving modes every ignition cycle to get back to "real" Dynamic.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

rather than do this from the exhaust is there a way like the old RS5 to do this from inside the boot? like the below video?

That is exactly what I did the other day to test it but I'm happy to switch on Individual mode each time. It is no louder disconnected than in Dynamic mode. Mine is the V8 not the new V6 though. I would be surprised if the V6 was different but that connector may be somewhere else. Bound to still be close to the vacuum reservoir though.

Just tried this

Literally takes a couple of minutes if you are lying down under the car (behind car for driver side, side of bumper for passenger side)

Will be taking it for a run in a bit to see what this mod is all about

Ok first attempt failed as missed the first instructions of starting car, put in sports/dynamic then car off and unplug

So just tested this out

Engine still goes quieter after 10 seconds or so and if in comfort/efficiency mode then put into dynamic it still sounds louder in dynamic

Also when in s mode sounds deeper also

Not sure but deffinitely bangs and pops ehen revving in neutral

I feel when valves are connected it helps produce deeper sound whilst driving in individual mode with sound set to dynamic

A bit confused now to be honest as thought it wouldnt change note when in dynamic once this mod is done

Ok so after few days of having the connectors unplugged, car dos sound throatier and pops/bangs when revved in dynamic mode alot more

When dynamic is selected the revs increase slightly also which according to other forums increases response on torque converter etc

I will be plugging them back in this week though, i just find the car a bit rougher to drive with them unplugged and as others have said there is no option to go silent in mornings etc

Ok so after few days of having the connectors unplugged, car dos sound throatier and pops/bangs when revved in dynamic mode alot more

When dynamic is selected the revs increase slightly also which according to other forums increases response on torque converter etc

I will be plugging them back in this week though, i just find the car a bit rougher to drive with them unplugged and as others have said there is no option to go silent in mornings etc

The louder start up is welcomed by me but when the car disengages gear (smart coasting thing), it makes a (can't decide whether it's cool) weird blip when you apply throttle for the gear to engage again. It's starting to sound annoying in the cabin. Could turn off that feature but I do like it. I was one of the first people to do this on here in 2016 with my S4 and I've loved it. Certainly makes a difference. But think I'll be plugging back in when I get some time...and a high curb haha.

Looking to take the plugs off my B9 RS5 i cant find them inside the car what is everyone doing with the dangling cable?

Hi,

I have an Audi S5 2013 which I believe is a B8 or B8.5 model. Does anyone know how I can locate the butterfly valve/exhaust valve? Had a look under the car but can’t see anything...

Thanks

Hi,

I have an Audi S5 2013 which I believe is a B8 or B8.5 model. Does anyone know how I can locate the butterfly valve/exhaust valve? Had a look under the car but can’t see anything...

Thanks

Think it just sits on top of the back box or near it. The controller that is.

Gonna be plugging mine back in soon....... but it’ll be on a modified second hand genuine exhaust!

Going to modify the exhaust for a bit more noise and retain the valves to keep it under control.

Looking to remove the mid X over box and pipe it out (maintaining the X). Not really sure how loud this will end up being!