S5 Exhaust Valve Mod

I did mine today. Everyone says to press down but actually you need to pull the grey part back to release the clip, them it comes straight off.

And??? What do you think?? Like it?? May get a bit "annoying"??? :D

I've not driven it yet :tearsofjoy:
I washed the car this afternoon and disconnected, taped and cable tied them but I'll have to wait and see what it's like tomorrow!

I washed the car this afternoon and disconnected, taped and cable tied them but I'll have to wait and see what it's like tomorrow!

DONT start it too early if you have neighbours :D I washed mine on Saturday (AGAIN) and its been peeing down all day, so ive been using the Mrs car :D

DONT start it too early if you have neighbours :D I washed mine on Saturday (AGAIN) and its been peeing down all day, so ive been using the Mrs car :D

Oh I'm looking forward annoying the neighbours! I've had years of their crappy ford diesel waking me up.

Reactions: Liddo
Oh I'm looking forward annoying the neighbours! I've had years of their crappy ford diesel waking me up.

What is the start up like, On a cold day for example, impressive?

My last 2 cars have been V8's and they make a nice sound on cold start up but this V6 gives them a run for their money. Nice burble on idle and a lot of induction noise under acceleration which I'm a fan of.

My last 2 cars have been V8's and they make a nice sound on cold start up but this V6 gives them a run for their money. Nice burble on idle and a lot of induction noise under acceleration which I'm a fan of.

Nice! I'm coming from pretty much nothing on start up (Fiesta ST) so I'm looking forward to the small things :worked till 5am:

Is this with everything unplugged or standard?

Mines deep and loud for about 30 seconds at least with the baffles plugged in. Ive also got it in "individual mode" with the engine set to LOUD :D

Is this with everything unplugged or standard?

That's both sides unplugged, I'm not too fussed about hearing a little drone I really only notice it under load so cruising at 70-80 ish on a dual carriageway in 8th gear is pretty quiet compared to previous cars I have had.

Reactions: Lawrence7
That's both sides unplugged, I'm not too fussed about hearing a little drone I really only notice it under load so cruising at 70-80 ish on a dual carriageway in 8th gear is pretty quiet compared to previous cars I have had.

Think I'm going to give this a try. I do a lot of town driving so I'm guessing I should notice a fair difference!

Think i've located them. Are they in completely different places on each exhaust? my driver side is on the exhaust and the passenger side is on the bumper.... Also are the cables protected in a black spring casing? Just want to make sure i'm pulling on the right cable!

Think i've located them. Are they in completely different places on each exhaust? my driver side is on the exhaust and the passenger side is on the bumper.... Also are the cables protected in a black spring casing? Just want to make sure i'm pulling on the right cable!

Yes on the passenger side they are further in on the single pipe, the drivers side they are pretty much on top of the dual tip. Cables are protected yes, there is handy little metal loops already beside the heat shield so I just cable tied them to that and it's secure. I doubt much water would get to that area given the heat of the exhaust but I waterproofed the ends anyway.

Just pull the small grey tab away from the plug (on top of the connector)and they should just release. The reverse is done to plug them back in so push the plug into the socket and then push the grey tab back towards the connector and that's it secure.

Reactions: vinnynall
Guys, what are you using to clear exhaust soot? Got my car cleaned the other day but they struggled to clean the exhaust properly.

Personally I don't use anything. Its an exhaust, it is supposed to be black.

Guys, what are you using to clear exhaust soot? Got my car cleaned the other day but they struggled to clean the exhaust properly.

Clean Regularly, with obvious - Foam, Shampoo and Mitt

Use a Decontamination fallout spray

Protect with yes, Carbon Collective Platinum Wheels (With Dremel if preferred)

Going to buy some and clean my tips. Nothing as nice as shiney tips! :D

Well after a couple of weeks I can see why some people revert back. When the engine is under load there is a noticeable drone which can get annoying on the motorway. It is fine at 60-70mph in 8th gear as the revs are low but once you get up to 80mph it's much louder. I don't plan on plugging them back in though.

Any gentle metal polish is fine for cleaning them. I use Bar Keepers Friend only because I already had some and it works perfectly.

I find the natural noise enough tbh

On individual setting on drive select you can choose level of engine and gear box but change engine sound settings to dynamic which im aure onlynkeeps valves open with economy of other settings, this way there is no need to unplug?

I find the natural noise enough tbh

On individual setting on drive select you can choose level of engine and gear box but change engine sound settings to dynamic which im aure onlynkeeps valves open with economy of other settings, this way there is no need to unplug?

The valves only open under the following condition:
1. Engine sound set to dynamic
2. RPM goes higher than 3k

So just be setting the engine sound in individual you wont get the same result.

Reactions: RichardMMM
Hi there, done this mod today. Put the finger of a nitrile glove over the connector,taped it up with electrical tape and cable tied them up.

My question is what have people done on the valve side? I can’t get good enough access to water proof anything. Was thinking that that side doesn’t really matter?

Reactions: R.A.G
The valves only open under the following condition:
1. Engine sound set to dynamic
2. RPM goes higher than 3k

So just be setting the engine sound in individual you wont get the same result.

Putting the gearbox in Sport in any mode also opens both valves.

Hi there, done this mod today. Put the finger of a nitrile glove over the connector,taped it up with electrical tape and cable tied them up.

My question is what have people done on the valve side? I can’t get good enough access to water proof anything. Was thinking that that side doesn’t really matter?

Good idea with the finger of the glove, hadn’t thought of that!

I used insulating tape on both sides but it’s not impenetrable by any means.

What obd2 scanners are people using? I’m worried i will have thrown a fault code now. I wanted to get one compatible with an iPhone. Has anyone got experience with carista and the s5?

Cheers in advance

What obd2 scanners are people using? I’m worried i will have thrown a fault code now. I wanted to get one compatible with an iPhone. Has anyone got experience with carista and the s5?

Cheers in advance
Lots of discussion in page one of this thread re the fault codes and OBDeleven, which generally offers the most functionality vs cost :sm4:

Lots of discussion in page one of this thread re the fault codes and OBDeleven, which generally offers the most functionality vs cost :sm4:

OBDEleven is only for Android bearing in mind.

Is anyone still driving with the Valve Actuators unplugged, Thoughts? Tempted to do mine this weekend just to see the difference, if any. I mostly drive in Efficiency on my way to work. But weekends and days off it's dynamic and Sport mode all the way!

Yep & intend not reconnecting. Usually have the sunroof ajar to get the full sound. No dash coding problems to date.
With the connectors, didn't waterproof as that will be somebodyelse's problem when its probably auctioned off in the estate.

I would say if you spend a lot of time on motorways at around 80mph you will get bored of it. It's fine at 70mph as the revs are lower.

Last edited:
I would say if you spend a lot of time on motorways at around 80mph you will get bored of it. It's fine as 70mph as the revs are lower.

Mostly town and Country roads, I do go on the motorway to work... but it's always at 30-40mph due to the traffic!

I would say if you spend a lot of time on motorways at around 80mph you will get bored of it. It's fine as 70mph as the revs are lower.
So you don't actually know what the sound @ 80mph is?
I can confirm your 70mph theory. Today I did over 700kms (say 450 miles), with a substantial amount @ 63-69mph (100-110 kmh) with actually wanting more sound. Not sure if we can legally do 80mph on our atrocious roads, so, to me, that is strictly hypothetical. If you do do the 80mph test, I would be most interested in your findings.
Actually, for a couple of seconds today, I did hit 80.6 mph (129kmh) but was not concentrating on the sound, trust me!!!

Reactions: SRB93
So you don't actually know what the sound @ 80mph is?
I can confirm your 70mph theory. Today I did over 700kms (say 450 miles), with a substantial amount @ 63-69mph (100-110 kmh) with actually wanting more sound. Not sure if we can legally do 80mph on our atrocious roads, so, to me, that is strictly hypothetical. If you do do the 80mph test, I would be most interested in your findings.
Actually, for a couple of seconds today, I did hit 80.6 mph (129kmh) but was not concentrating on the sound, trust me!!!

???

80mph is quite typical for a lot of people on UK motorways even though the speed limit is 70mph.

At 80mph with the higher revs there is a pronounced drone with the valves open as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Over a prolonged period it quickly became tiresome.

???

80mph is quite typical for a lot of people on UK motorways even though the speed limit is 70mph.

At 80mph with the higher revs there is a pronounced drone with the valves open as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Over a prolonged period it quickly became tiresome.

Are you of a certain age? :monkeyface:

Is anyone still driving with the Valve Actuators unplugged, Thoughts? Tempted to do mine this weekend just to see the difference, if any. I mostly drive in Efficiency on my way to work. But weekends and days off it's dynamic and Sport mode all the way!

Yup still unplugged and not regretting it, I actually had my car up on ramps and despite being in all sorts of weather recently the bags on the plugs were spotless and the sockets on the actuators looked brand new.

Enjoy the growl....don't hide it...:sunglasses:

Yup still unplugged and not regretting it, I actually had my car up on ramps and despite being in all sorts of weather recently the bags on the plugs were spotless and the sockets on the actuators looked brand new.

Enjoy the growl....don't hide it...:sunglasses:

Did mine over Christmas, I do love the burble and low rev undertone now! Cold starts in the morning are rather fun:

I'll link to a video of a cold startup on my Instagram (Cold Startup - Valve Actuators unplugged)

Reactions: gldy_b, G10AYR and aliwtsnS5