S5 Coupe Fuel Consumption falling :-(

Chimp

Reaction score
Hi

I have nearly covered 5000 miles since the beginning of March and at first I was getting around 20-21 mpg on my typical commute of 30 miles with a mixture of dual carriageway and country roads ranging from 50mph to 30mph in parts.

I know new cars take a little of time to settle down etc so up until a few weeks ago I was up to around 30mpg on the same route and have seen 36mph on a cruise on the motorway a few times.

I bought ODB11 to see if I can enable to g-meter and the traffic sign recognition (both failed....) and since then for some reason my mpg has dropped to around 23-24mpg even in econ mode!!

The real time consumption gauge seems to be very sensitive even when pulling away goes to around 5 mpg and drops the average sharply.

I didn't change any other settings and put back the ones I tested.... anyone have any ideas why? what I can check etc?

Looking at other forums mpg isn't the V6 30's best characteristic ... my S3 used to get 36-38 and my 400BHP TTRS around the same..

Hi

I have nearly covered 5000 miles since the beginning of March and at first I was getting around 20-21 mpg on my typical commute of 30 miles with a mixture of dual carriageway and country roads ranging from 50mph to 30mph in parts.

I know new cars take a little of time to settle down etc so up until a few weeks ago I was up to around 30mpg on the same route and have seen 36mph on a cruise on the motorway a few times.

I bought ODB11 to see if I can enable to g-meter and the traffic sign recognition (both failed....) and since then for some reason my mpg has dropped to around 23-24mpg even in econ mode!!

The real time consumption gauge seems to be very sensitive even when pulling away goes to around 5 mpg and drops the average sharply.

I didn't change any other settings and put back the ones I tested.... anyone have any ideas why? what I can check etc?

Looking at other forums mpg isn't the V6 30's best characteristic ... my S3 used to get 36-38 and my 400BHP TTRS around the same..

A couple of considerations:

Are you comparing apples for apples with respect to the fuel you're running it on, higher octane better quality fuels generally yield higher MPG?

Secondly it's been rather warm lately so the additional load from your aircon could be sapping a fair few MPG's?

I find if I really nurse my car I can get mid 30's on a motorway run, generally seeing about 25 in mixed driving enjoying the car in Dynamic.

Only done 1k miles so far so would like to think this will improve at some point in the next 10k. I try to ignore MPG in new cars until after the first service, you kind of know what your dealing with then.

I'd say it very unlikely you have inadvertently altered something related to the MPG reading/calculation in OBDeleven, although there are settings in it for this if you go looking for them.

I have thought about things and its the same petrol ie Tesco 99 ron mostly if not shell vmax, no aircon normally so is the same route, same petrol etc so should be near enough the same, if not a little better due to not so much "cold weather starts" and taking longer to warm up. Just a bit puzzled in such a drop especially as I have been conscious about it a trying really hard to be efficient to see if it helps, but it doesn't.

I don't think I have changed anything either but you never know lol (been a VCDS user for many years). I have noticed over a couple of days the oil indicator was full and now 3/4 full... I will keep an eye on it.

I usually drive in dynamic or individual mode with everything dynamic apart from suspension as the country roads are a little bumpy sometimes.

I have noticed over a couple of days the oil indicator was full and now 3/4 full... I will keep an eyee on it.

You must be wearing shorts and T Shirts if you don't have your aircon blasting on days like today lol!

Ref your point above with the oil level, I've noticed the same a couple of times, each time it's dropped it's corrected itself after the next journey, I thought it might be measuring it sporadically when the car wasn't on a level surface, or when the oil hadn't completely drained back to the sump. I should point out this has been when I've viewed it on the MMI Connect app, so I haven't physically requested the measurement in the car, I'm guessing the app uses the last recorded measurement that the car must run itself on some kind of schedule, I doubt the app is running a live measurement request each time it updates.

Be interesting if anyone else has experienced the same.