• S5 3.0 Cabrio

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

S3quatt

Flat Oot like a ducks Foot
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on an S5.

Unlike Snake, I don't want to go down the route of ordering a new S5. I almost went for an S3, but the total build came to over 40k so turned my attention back to a second hand S5.

Now, looking at them. It comes down to three choices.
4.2 V8 Coupe / Sportback
3.0 V6 Convertible
3.0 V6 Coupe / Sportback

Personally I don't want a V8. I test drove one & found it a bit disappointing & gutsy, so have narrowed it down to the V6 of some type.
Looking at the figures, it seems that the latest model from '12 onwards must have had some pretty serious changes.
0-62 down, kerb weight down, emissions down etc.
All in all, I'm swaying towards the latest model based on running costs.
Is it just the engine making the difference? Or is it the same engine with lowered weight making all the difference?
Can anyone tell me if there is that much of a difference between '11 & '12 models?

Any must haves to look out for?
I had my heart set on a Coupe, but starting to wonder if a convertible is a viable option?
I do plan on keeping it for a long time, & it is a big decision for me.
My planned cap is £35k, give or take.

Any pro's & cons for either model are welcome to help me make my mind up.
EG. What is the road noise like in a cabrio compared to coupe?
As a bit of back ground.
I do approx 6k miles a year (So I guess running costs not that much of an issue)
Partner has a 4 door, & no kids, so doors not a big deal.
Mostly A & B roads, Not many M-way miles.

Not many in my area, so I'm going to have to travel to even test drive one.

Sorry if I've bored you all yet, but really struggling to make my mind up here...

Thanks in advance.

Oh. & for future reference, does anyone know what basic tuning options are available on the V6?
I assume a pulley switch & map to suit?

Last edited:
V6 all day long, I've had the 4.2 V8 in my S4 B6 years back & it was lacklustre power wise, lovely car but man weighed down by heavy damn front end man, S3's & TT's used to take it & I had an S3 at the same time, so imho coupe V6 all day long given you have no kids :)

Facelift with the better front end/headlights, looks mean on the road :)

Reactions: S3quatt
V6 all day long, I've had the 4.2 V8 in my S4 B6 years back & it was lacklustre power wise, lovely car but man weighed down by heavy damn front end man, S3's & TT's used to take it & I had an S3 at the same time, so imho coupe V6 all day long given you have no kids :)

Facelift with the better front end/headlights, looks mean on the road :)

Seeing as you are here, are there any functions on these that are already there which only need coding?
The likes of cruise control I'm sure would be a pretty simple stalk & code it in..

V6 is a fantastic engine with over 400 bhp v.easily available with just software changes ( and more with pulleys etc ). Also made the whole car much lighter, and the sports diff ( which is an extra ) makes the handling a joy.

Nice choice to have, especially with no kids, but I would go S/Back for practicality....you would soon get fed up of having no back doors..!

My personal preference would be coupe or cabrio, if that floats your boat, but not the sportback.

The 3 door variants look fantastic but I just do not gel with the looks of the 'stretched' sportback A5 and 5 door profile.

That said, I can appreciate those opting for the 5 door who have people in and out the back all the time, although I would still opt for the 3 door regardless on looks alone.

Coupe looks great, cabrio looks great - but suspect cabrio will cost more and you need to decide IF you really are a roof down person or would it be a fad for a few weeks and you then wish you had gone for a coupe ?

No Kids

2 door

Coupe or Cab, Cab looks like an A4

No brainer
Any more?

Is that your opinion or lyrics? :yahoo:

Ok, so I'm narrowing down to Coupe or Cab.
TBH I kept the Sportback in there more for options on autotrader...
Always prefer the coupé look.

It does come across all in the hood doesnt it ? (or not if you get the coupe)

Seriously how many times will you get time to put the roof down ? You are after all in Scotland !!

If its like the A4 cab it always looks like its ratlling itself to bits in the rear view mirrors whilst travelling along

True, the only realistic reasons for even suggesting a cab is
1: It widens the scope a little.
2: The other half likes the idea.

My cousin has had a 3 series cab from new in 1997 & think he's had the roof down about a dozen times over the years.

Yes. I bought the A4 cab for Mrs B because she wanted one, Then never had the roof down because it ruined her hair & freaked out when i booted it with the roof down.
Glad its gone now, It was very good once the sun was out but was a pain to clean (had to use the sticky clothes roller to remove dust & pollen), Shook like a sh1tt1ng dog due to the lack of roof strength & was slower because of the extra metal to strengthen it.

Its a shame they dont do a Nagaro blue A5. That would be super nice

Pretty sure they would if you pay enough.
I never thought I'd see a Noggy Blue R8, & a year or so ago I spotted two of them at the same dealer.

Found an A6. Looks pants with those tiddly wheels on. Wheels totally transform a car

Audi-A6-C7-Sline-nogaro-blue-Audi-Exclusive1-960x639.jpg

Reactions: S3quatt