S5 2019 onwards - Turbo Diesel

I'm still waiting for the narrator to announce "you have entered the twilight zone" :)

Reactions: cuke2u
S5 will be petrol ... will have a particulate filter like the new s3 though

Was in Liverpool Audi today so asked the question and they seemed confident it will have the same diesel as the S6 and SQ5. Other markets will still get the existing petrol engine 'with a couple of tweaks'. Nobody can be 100% though!
Weird to see a showroom devoid of any S or RS models as well.

Reactions: NevMan
Was in Liverpool Audi today so asked the question and they seemed confident it will have the same diesel as the S6 and SQ5. Other markets will still get the existing petrol engine 'with a couple of tweaks'. Nobody can be 100% though!
Weird to see a showroom devoid of any S or RS models as well.

Exactly what I have heard and read, but we will never know until it is “officially” announced.

Does anyone think that if the S4 and S5 models go diesel that the current petrol residual values will go up? I have a feeling they will due to demand for S petrols.

Agreed, Audi have lost the plot. I would also doubt this car will be released in may of this year, seeing as the facelift is also coming out. Who would buy a car with the devil's engine only for the residuals to bomb once the fl is released.
It's not like the market has confidence when it comes to VAG'S dealing with oil burners anyway...

Seems like a very bizarre move at a time when all of Europe is looking at diesel pollution.

Also a decent price hike over the older version, which isn’t going to help and also the (luxury) tax rules.

I suspect this means the S4 will go diesel too... sadly. :(

Reactions: Simonwhite2000
Agreed, Audi have lost the plot. I would also doubt this car will be released in may of this year, seeing as the facelift is also coming out. Who would buy a car with the devil's engine only for the residuals to bomb once the fl is released.
It's not like the market has confidence when it comes to VAG'S dealing with oil burners anyway...

As per other thread, sounds like May for Europe, but will be sooner rather than later given there has been nothing for almost a year

S6 is already on the German Audi site config so they are not hanging around with them. Plus the S5 is due a facelift soon so they will want to shift as many of the current model as they can before it changes.

Well we were expecting it weren't we?

In some respects it should be a good engine with that electric compressor, so the low down torque should really be noticeable. But I imagine that it will feel weird to drive compared to the previous S5s because of the relative short shifting. And manual shifting will become a bit pointless - from my memory diesel engines always feel "laboured" when rev'd to the redline.

My guess is that Audi is going to lose the "S-appeal", although I guess we are a niche market? It's like BMW only having the M-cars and Merc only having the AMG cars. For a while Audi has both RS and S, which made the S special. Those BMWs and Mercs which were at the same level as the S-cars may have had similar performance, but they were still from the "regular" line. Now the S5 won't be at all special, it will just be the most expensive diesel A5.

I'd like to know the numbers, but I have seen relatively few B9 S4s and S5s in my part of the UK. Perhaps really the UK is no longer considered an important market for Audi, because for sure it isn't a good idea to be pushing diesel here right now. But maybe its not the case in mainland Europe, and especially Germany. After all I recently saw a chart of the biggest CO2 polluters in Europe and most were coal power stations in Germany. If the Germans care so little about climate change then maybe they don't care about poisoning children either?

Last edited:
One more thought: If, like the S6 and S7, the ROW will get a petrol engine. Does that mean that the UK will be the only market for the diesel version in RHD? If so maybe they won't make any for the UK anyway?

Glad I got my B9 S5 when I did. @Dippy I don't see many S5s down my way in the UK. I've seen very few S5s as well and I do a fair amount of driving.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Simonwhite2000
Seems like a very bizarre move at a time when all of Europe is looking at diesel pollution.

Also a decent price hike over the older version, which isn’t going to help and also the (luxury) tax rules.

I suspect this means the S4 will go diesel too... sadly. :(
The Evo article talking about the S5 pretty much confirms the S4 will follow suit.

Madness.

Glad my B9 S4 is a. 3.0TFSI - such a great engine to have only been put in cars for 2years or so!

I can’t understand it - with the UK and Europe going massively anti-diesel, who is going to by a diesel S?. The people who can still justify them due to mileage are already in big diesel A4s, add a load of cash on to that for some S styling and probably the same basic engine, give or take a small bit of hybridisation.

All of the guys like myself who buy S cars as they are superb alternatives to a full on in your face RS, retaining subtlety but still being special.

It may well turn a lot of people away to BMW and Mercedes! That C43 AMG is looking more appealing!

Let just hope they don’t sell and Audi sorts it’s sh*t out for the facelifts!

Reactions: keenu and NevMan
Madness.

Glad my B9 S4 is a. 3.0TFSI - such a great engine to have only been put in cars for 2years or so!

I can’t understand it - with the UK and Europe going massively anti-diesel, who is going to by a diesel S?. The people who can still justify them due to mileage are already in big diesel A4s, add a load of cash on to that for some S styling and probably the same basic engine, give or take a small bit of hybridisation.

All of the guys like myself who buy S cars as they are superb alternatives to a full on in your face RS, retaining subtlety but still being special.

It may well turn a lot of people away to BMW and Mercedes! That C43 AMG is looking more appealing!

Let just hope they don’t sell and Audi sorts it’s sh*t out for the facelifts!

Even if they dont sell easily they will offer cheap leases to shift them and keep the numbers up. They have no choice and cant revert back to the petrol. It will definitely put people off but also appeal to new people. It will likely send me to the new 340 whereas I was considering an S5 SB or the new S6. BMW at least offer a fast diesel and fast petrol under the M3 M4 so it's a shame Audi didn't go that route. Interesting that people who requested lease extensions on S4 S5 are now seeing refreshed quotes over 900 quid whereas prior to announcement they were dropping from their current 300/400. Audi really want the petrols back!

Glad I got my B9 S5 when I did. @Dippy I don't see many S5s down my way in the UK. I've seen very few S5s as well and I do a fair amount of driving.

Did I read you’re around Cambridge area mate? Collecting my new s5 on Tuesday from Huntingdon Audi, haven’t seen many s5s around here either to be honest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So so glad I got my S5 last year before Audi make this huge error. I purposely didn’t get the 440i because it’s not ‘different’ enough from the rest of the 4 series range.

Audi, by having the ‘S’ below the ‘RS’, made a differentiated product for those of us who can’t afford / don’t want to RS models but still a step up from ‘standard’ range. I can’t see many people wanting the new S5 with either the diesel rattle or synthesised sound.

As an aside, my car has gone up nearly £2k according to WBAC in the last week (was valued at £29.1k previously, now £31k).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Adam14 and NevMan
Did I read you’re around Cambridge area mate? Collecting my new s5 on Tuesday from Huntingdon Audi, haven’t seen many s5s around here either to be honest!

That's precisely where I bought my S5 from...you're not getting the black sportback with red leather are you? Which salesman you dealing with? They're very good in there. I'm a mile down the road from them!

Last edited:
That's precisely where I bought my S5 from...you're not getting the black sportback with red leather are you? Which salesman you dealing with? They're very good in there.

Haha yeah that’s the one, it’s a coupe not sportback though! Was yours the ex demo they were using a couple of months back? I’m dealing with Lee, went for a couple of test drives with Adam as well. Nice guys, very helpful and efficient!

Reactions: NevMan and Adam14
Haha yeah that’s the one, it’s a coupe not sportback though! Was yours the ex demo they were using a couple of months back? I’m dealing with Lee, went for a couple of test drives with Adam as well. Nice guys, very helpful and efficient!

Yeah very good! Yes the 18 plate white coupe! What a small world!

Reactions: NevMan and Simonwhite2000
Yeah very good! Yes the 18 plate white coupe! What a small world!

I originally looked at yours, and test drove it! Sure is, I’ll keep my eye out around Huntingdon for yours! I’m over near Cambourne. I’ve got a 15 plate S3 at the moment, how are you finding the S5 compared to your old S3?

I originally looked at yours, and test drove it! Sure is, I’ll keep my eye out around Huntingdon for yours! I’m over near Cambourne. I’ve got a 15 plate S3 at the moment, how are you finding the S5 compared to your old S3?

Will PM you :)

Reactions: JM11EEE
I guess it depends on the horse, as I’ve heard from at least 9 sources that the entire range will be going diesel from S4 and above - and a few of these sources have come direct from meetings with .... Audi UK.

Too true, clearly the horse was talking sh*t. Spot on @audittsquattro

Reactions: Adam14
Even if they dont sell easily they will offer cheap leases to shift them and keep the numbers up. They have no choice and cant revert back to the petrol. It will definitely put people off but also appeal to new people. It will likely send me to the new 340 whereas I was considering an S5 SB or the new S6. BMW at least offer a fast diesel and fast petrol under the M3 M4 so it's a shame Audi didn't go that route. Interesting that people who requested lease extensions on S4 S5 are now seeing refreshed quotes over 900 quid whereas prior to announcement they were dropping from their current 300/400. Audi really want the petrols back!

They will want to sell them on a vastly inflated used prices as people rush to get their hands on a petrol one

Too true, clearly the horse was talking sh*t. Spot on @audittsquattro
On the other hand AudiUK has denied knowing of any S models going diesel and have clearly stated they are not kept informed of future model changes:
" Thank you for your recent email regarding our S models.

I have spoken to our Product Marketing Department on your behalf and they have confirmed there is currently no information that the S4/5/6/7 will be powered by diesel engines. However, as model changes are often kept confidential until officially launched, Audi UK, as the importer, is not always aware of exact details or release dates.

Once any information is announced to the public, all details will be available on our website www.audi.co.uk and via our network of Audi Centres.

I can also advise that we do not usually hear anything regarding model updates until week 28, which approximately 8 July 2019 for the model year vehicles."

On the other hand AudiUK has denied knowing of any S models going diesel and have clearly stated they are not kept informed of future model changes:

I have spoken to our Product Marketing Department on your behalf and they have confirmed there is currently no information that the S4/5/6/7 will be powered by diesel engines. However, as model changes are often kept confidential until officially launched, Audi UK, as the importer, is not always aware of exact details or release dates.

Once any information is announced to the public, all details will be available on our website www.audi.co.uk and via our network of Audi Centres.

I can also advise that we do not usually hear anything regarding model updates until week 28, which approximately 8 July 2019 for the model year vehicles."

Audi UK never know anything. They can’t ever tell when ordered cars are either. So much press about this (S4/5/6/7) they are just playing dumb

SQ5 diesel also on de site

Audi UK never know anything. They can’t ever tell when ordered cars are either. So much press about this (S4/5/6/7) they are just playing dumb

SQ5 diesel also on de site
So I would not believe anything they state to anyone in AS....

S4 has just been announced, also a V6 diesel coming for this.

Good grief. The press release was out several days before you posted this. And today we heard the S4 TDI news!