S4_Lee's S4 Avant Thread

S4_LEE

Reaction score
Hi All, really enjoyed reading @scotty76 thread so I thought I'd jump in and introduce myself as a new s4 owner. After months of agonising i finally made the call to sell my Mk2 RS Focus which I had owned for over 3 years, I loved the RS but at 46 felt that i was getting a little too old for the image and to be totally honest i was sick to death of every man and his dog wanting to race!! My issue was where to go next, but as soon as I sat behind the wheel of the S4 and planted my right foot i new this was the car for me :) I found a 2010 B8 Avant with only 10k on the clock with full audi service history, I just could not walk away and parted with the RS there and then. I generally drove the RS hard, conditions permitting, and averaged 23mpg over the 3 years I owned it. Looking at the S4 figures (30mpg combined) I felt that I should be able to maintain the 23mpg; But 2 weeks into ownership I'm averaging just over 20, I hope that's just me enjoying the car and not the future. I commute 22 miles on the M4 (not rush hour) and have managed 26mpg once, but put it in sport mode and I'm lucky to make 20! I love the gearbox although it takes some getting used to, i prefer sport mode to maintain that level of instant response from the right foot, although i am trying to use drive more and knock down the gears with the paddles. I've not really had the opportunity to put it in manual and have some fun.
Going to drive it to Devon next week so it will be interesting to see what i can manage mpg on a long run. I'll feedback next week.

Anyway I must say i am loving this car, it blows the RS away in every respect, just hope the garage can fix my bluetooth phonebook issues tomorrow, Audi Reading believe it just needs a software update, so fingers crossed.

Wish I'd made the jump to Audi years ago ;)
MyS4

Reactions: MattS5, GjrBartlett, Chop. and 8 others
Welcome @S4_LEE! My car was bought from Reading Audi. :) The S4 can be thirsty when spanked but shouldn't be any worse than the RS from what you've described. My long term average is 24.something. When I get a chance I'll dig out the actual figure. Lately I'm seeing 29-30 mpg on a 25 mile commute.

If we can help with anything just ask! A quick search will turn up most things so give that a go first.

Fingers crossed the bluetooth issue is sorted quickly.

Hi All, really enjoyed reading this thread so I thought I'd jump in and introduce myself as a new s4 owner. After months of agonising i finally made the call to sell my Mk2 RS Focus which I had owned for over 3 years, I loved the RS but at 46 felt that i was getting a little too old for the image and to be totally honest i was sick to death of every man and his dog wanting to race!! My issue was where to go next, but as soon as I sat behind the wheel of the S4 and planted my right foot i new this was the car for me :) I found a 2010 B8 Avant with only 10k on the clock with full audi service history, I just could not walk away and parted with the RS there and then. I generally drove the RS hard, conditions permitting, and averaged 23mpg over the 3 years I owned it. Looking at the S4 figures (30mpg combined) I felt that I should be able to maintain the 23mpg; But 2 weeks into ownership I'm averaging just over 20, I hope that's just me enjoying the car and not the future. I commute 22 miles on the M4 (not rush hour) and have managed 26mpg once, but put it in sport mode and I'm lucky to make 20! I love the gearbox although it takes some getting used to, i prefer sport mode to maintain that level of instant response from the right foot, although i am trying to use drive more and knock down the gears with the paddles. I've not really had the opportunity to put it in manual and have some fun.
Going to drive it to Devon next week so it will be interesting to see what i can manage mpg on a long run. I'll feedback next week.

Anyway I must say i am loving this car, it blows the RS away in every respect, just hope the garage can fix my bluetooth phonebook issues tomorrow, Audi Reading believe it just needs a software update, so fingers crossed.

Wish I'd made the jump to Audi years ago ;)
View attachment 80408
@S4_LEE - Hi & :welcome!: to the B8 section Lee!

S4 Avant looks great. More pics of inside and out as well as spec needed ;)

Reactions: scotty76
Very nice S4 Lee.

Mpg will prob improve once you get out of new car play mode hahaa

I generally return 22-24 on my mixed commute

Sweet looking ride Lee. Really like the Black and Silver seating combo. When you leave sport mode for comfort a bit your figures will be better. Not easy, dynamic is a lot of fun.

Reactions: S4_LEE
Welcome Lee

Made the same move myself as mine was a daily driver and started to get a bit tired of the harsh ride. Loved the car to bits though (Collins stage 2) and it shifted once on the move. If I had the space and money I would have kept it alongside the S4 as a weekend toy.

Anyway the S4 is a great choice for practicality and performance and a move I don't regret

Reactions: S4_LEE
Thanks for the warm welcome

The good news is that the garage managed to diagnose the bluetooth issue the bad is that I now have to wait 10 days for the software to update it, I'm sure I can wait that long :)

Also managed to get 24mpg on the 70 mile round trip:)

Reactions: rabhrab, chucky1, scotty76 and 1 other person
I'll look out for you razza1, I'm just down the road in Winnersh

car looks braw mate, and the right colour too ;-)

haha good luck with the MPG i'm on a steady 18mpg just now and its worth every £

Reactions: xpoweruk
Just covered 400+ miles, most of it in torrential rain on the M4 the rest around North Devon A roads, so not ideal driving conditions. But i did manage to average 24.9mpg over the week so things are improving :).

Reactions: Chop., xpoweruk and scotty76
I've had my S5 3 weeks, done 1,100 miles and have managed an average of 22mpg so far.
I think I might struggle to get north of 25mpg

Reactions: Chop. and xpoweruk
I've had my S4 nearly 2 years and done 16k - I use the road trip app and my average is 24mpg

Reactions: scotty76
It always amuses me to see S-car owners discussing fuel efficiency :)

Reactions: MattS5, Chop. and Keef
Just chipping in with my figures, I gave up worrying about mpg when I had my B6 S4

Reactions: MattS5 and scotty76
Good news, the MMI had a software update today and all Bluetooth issues have been solved, I can now download my iPhone 6 phonebook and store numbers in the cars memory :).

Reactions: scotty76 and jdp1962