S4?

I'm sure siena has fitted one of these motors to another Audi (a B4 if memory serves) with a manual conversion and bar teh fault code for the missing auto box/ecu it ran perfectly.

That's ok then.

I've fired an email to A8parts enquiring about an ABZ.

If I can get the use of another car for a couple of weeks, ok my insurance and talk my girlfriend into letting me do it.. I think this might be a plan!!! GULP!!!

They've just got back to me and they have 3 S8/AHC engines still in cars waiting for removal. All have different mileage and history.

They don't have any ABZs in at the moment.

I have a contact name and number so will try to talk to them later.

I originally configured the S8 wiring harness to plug directly to my stock B5, before I decided to go stand alone. I also took my time deleting the auto box ECU connector and harness.

As long as you're ok doing the same, you'll be ok.

What's involved in configuring the harness to fit the A4?

Got an insurance quote of £1300 TPFT which is higher than I'd hoped.

Anyone know of any reasonable modified car insurers? I know it'll be high but hopefully under 1K.

Cheers.

I've alwats found Admiral/Elephant to be pretty cheap for me, this years renewal on my S4 should be around 400 quid, I am 28 with 7 ncb though! Sayin that most other places are still above a grand, some last year wouldn't even insure me cos of my age?!

I managed to get a quote for the S4 at £700.. I've only got two years no claims so I didn't think that was too bad.

The £1300 was for my A4 with an S8 4.2 V8 (340 BHP) engine fitted.

Not sure if many of the well known insurers will cover that sort of conversion?

Adrian Flux or Greenlight. They were the only two insures that would touch me due to the conversion to turbo etc etc

Re the loom conversion, it should just be a case of soldering on the appropriate plugs so it will plug into your existing loom, and removing any extra connectors like those for the autobox.

That is quite pricey, who was it that quoted that much? Remember that the V8 conversion would be faster than an S4 too, your up 80hp and down 200kgs over an S4.

Also see if theres any major difference between the S8 and A8 engines on pricing, as they will often base the premium on the donor car, and an S8 will be more expensive to insure than a A8 i'd imagine?

Re the loom conversion, it should just be a case of soldering on the appropriate plugs so it will plug into your existing loom, and removing any extra connectors like those for the autobox.

That is quite pricey, who was it that quoted that much? Remember that the V8 conversion would be faster than an S4 too, your up 80hp and down 200kgs over an S4.

Also see if theres any major difference between the S8 and A8 engines on pricing, as they will often base the premium on the donor car, and an S8 will be more expensive to insure than a A8 i'd imagine?

bought my dream car 2 weeks ago, b5 s4 in nogaro blue. needs new brakes so i thought of gettin some performance ones so checked out a price from gwent vw an they quoted me 495 + vat jus for disks(ceramic EBC) so i thought fuk that and got myself some standard disks with some good pads and even that cost me £200 lol need a rocker cover gasket now which are £31 each and i need two of them. expensive weekend for me then :jump:

LOVIN MY S4 BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you might want to check ALL the vacuum hoses and pipes for splits or fatigue when you've got it apart, if they fail, it can quite often take the turbos with it.

V8 conversion all in sourcing the engine and everything needed from A8 parts, Siena and ebay plus a quote on the 200 cell cats with exhaust fab came to £2000 all in if you do it yourself.

It broke my budget of £1200 so i didnt go ahead but thats not alot of ££ for 340+ bhp

My insurance currently stands at £322 fully comp, with an agreed value policy, and all modifications declared. I sent copies of invoices for all the RS4 body conversion, as well as pictures.

I got a quote last week, for the above, but with S8 motor and 2001 S4 6-ratio tranny, and it came to £463.

There are advantages of being older, and having an unblemished driving history. I passed my test April 1988, and have never had points.

I use HIC (Herts Insurance Consultants).

Adrian Flux gave me such a good rate on mine with all mods declared that I moved my wife's (read:"my other car") Golf GT over to them as well.
they knocked £120 off Admiral on the stock Golf.

mine is around £400 also and the quote for the 2.0l block only added £25 to it.

I think I/we could sort the loom out easy enough then with a bit of research.

It was Adrian Flux.. I'll see what the difference is between the 340hp (S8) engine and the 300hp (A8) engine as I'd imagine it would be cheaper.

If I did need more power!?!?!?!? I could always stick the S8 cams in easy enough I suppose.

V8 conversion all in sourcing the engine and everything needed from A8 parts, Siena and ebay plus a quote on the 200 cell cats with exhaust fab came to £2000 all in if you do it yourself.

It broke my budget of £1200 so i didnt go ahead but thats not alot of ££ for 340+ bhp

I don't suppose you've got any of your prices, parts lists etc that you could share with me?

That's what is swaying me towards a V8.. the amount of power for the money is really good.

A bit scary though as I've never done an engine conversion before!!.. got to start somewhere I suppose.

My insurance currently stands at £322 fully comp, with an agreed value policy, and all modifications declared. I sent copies of invoices for all the RS4 body conversion, as well as pictures.

I got a quote last week, for the above, but with S8 motor and 2001 S4 6-ratio tranny, and it came to £463.

There are advantages of being older, and having an unblemished driving history. I passed my test April 1988, and have never had points.

I was 7 in 1988!! Ha you are old lol.. maybe you could get a Jaguar Auto and I could have your car?? What do you say? :icon_thumright:

If I did need more power!?!?!?!? I could always stick the S8 cams in easy enough I suppose.

Not that easy.

Especially the exhaust camshafts, totally different.

S8 camshafts won't be a direct replacement for the exhaust items in an ABZ.

The S8 has solit tappets, so cam profiles are totally different.
The ABZ cylinder heads will require machinning to accept the S8 lumpy sticks.

Intake is larger on S8, as is the throttle body, pistons are higher CR items too.

Ok I see.. so it's not just a case 'hot cams' then in the S8.

I'd be happy with 300BHP to be honest and with the way the insurance quotes are going that would be the sensible option.

I've just contacted Adrian Flux again to see how using the 300BHP (ABZ) engine in place of the S8 engine affects the premium.

I've been looking into the V8 conversion and been thinking...

If the engine will fit in the bay without beating the sh!t out of the bulkhead?

If I can keep the 5 speed gearbox in the original position?

Is there space to keep the A8 fan etc?

Where to get a flywheel?.. Custom fab?

Price for twin cats and exhaust fabrication?

The engine will fit the 'box, Siena has a contact for the flywheels IIRC And tbh you prob just convert to electric fans to overcome the space problem ( assuming there is one)

Or jus go GT30rs or summat instead :drool:

The engine will fit the 'box, Siena has a contact for the flywheels IIRC And tbh you prob just convert to electric fans to overcome the space problem ( assuming there is one)

Or jus go GT30rs or summat instead :drool:

I'd put a big turbo setup and new ECU on if the engine was lower mileage but it's over 100000 now so I think I'd be pushing my luck.

http://www.backdraftmotorsport.com/performance-upgrades/1.8t-standard-tuned-engines.html

..Liking the sound of the tuned engine but a bit pricey IMO.

Anyone else do anything similar?.. think I recall somebody posting a link on here not too long ago but can't find it.

The V8 will fit the B5 engine bay, without terrorising the firewall too.

I'm going the route Byzan's just mentioned, i.e running twin electric fans.
My stand alone has a dedicated output to power electric fans, purely ECU regulated via ECT sensor.

So I'd need a way of controlling the fans then as I assume the A8 ECU wouldn't be equipped for this?

Siena- Didn't you have an issue with the timing sensor when you fitted the new flywheel.. too many teeth or something? How would I get around this with the standard A8 ECU?

The A4 already has temp controlled electric fans as well as the stupid viscous one. I took mine off a long time agoand now run a shorter belt

The electric fan isn't linked to the ECU then? I would need to add a fan to replace the viscous fan too.

So I'd need a way of controlling the fans then as I assume the A8 ECU wouldn't be equipped for this?

Siena- Didn't you have an issue with the timing sensor when you fitted the new flywheel.. too many teeth or something? How would I get around this with the standard A8 ECU?

Not too many teeth - the teeth were fine, just the timing pulse ring was in a different place to the 6-speed box I'm using.

That's since been rectified.

Not too many teeth - the teeth were fine, just the timing pulse ring was in a different place to the 6-speed box I'm using.

That's since been rectified.

So that wouldn't be an issue with my 5 speed then?

Would you be happy to supply engine mounts and flywheel if I do go for it?

Yes, the current set-up is for the crank sensor position to suit the 01A / 012 box.

Yes, the above can be supplied.

Just had a quote with the ABZ/300HP engine installed in my A4..

£645.00.

Around £650 cheaper than with the S8/340HP engine installed!!!

Happy with that!!