S4 V8 buying guide

coullstar

Reaction score
Afternoon folks. Im considering a S4 avant and would like to know if there is anything specific to watch for i.e. is there components thats should have been looked at / replaced in higher mileage cars?

I am budgeting about £10k so mileage will be around 80k+.

On the mpg Im guessing 21mpg average is a rough figure to work from?

Are they particularly hard on tyres, brakes etc?

Also do they run fine on normal unleaded?

Anyone that has one and fancies a swap for a Mk5 Golf Gti let me know.

I would swap, but mine is the Saloon, lol.

MPG wise, mine has averaged 23 over the last 97-odd hours of driving. On Sunday, driving at legal speeds on A and B roads, over about 40 miles, I averaged 25.6 mpg, While coming home from Glenshee a couple months back (50 miles, A and B roads again) I averaged 36 mpg. BUT, I was going rather slow, and was stuck for considerable distances behind tractors and stuff. But when the road opened up, I was travelling at normal speeds.

Mine hasn't been too hard on tyres or brakes over the last 8-9k, so don't think you would have too much to worry about there.

I ran mine on super when I first got it, but as work slowed down and petrol rose, she has been fine on normal unleaded. Haven't noticed any differences at all.

Coil-packs, as with any VAG (or non VAG) car have been a bit of a problem. I replaced 3 a few months ago. However, they are covered with Audi's current coil-pack campaign, and as such, the other 5 were replaced by Audi FOC last week. So presumably whatever one you do go for will be the same. If it hasn't already been done, I'm sure speccy cars will do it for you (assuming you are the same coullstar I have met before).

Apparently, I'm told, that the flywheel on these cars can be a bit suspect. But you have to drive the car hard to notice if it is. Not sure about this, I was told this when enquiring about trading mine in, but mine doesn't suffer from it.

I'm sure there is a buyers guide somewhere on here though. If not, try srs or rs246.

I have had a S4 cab for nearly a year now, dont average anything like 21 on the journeys I make but they tend to be short commuting, others have got nearer that figure.
I have only ever run mine on Optimax, Tesco 99 etc but filler cap says 95 or Super so should be okay on normal unleaded.
Got first service on Thursday, so will know then what the wear & tear over a year adds upto.

I would swap, but mine is the Saloon, lol.

Its your add that got me looking at them. I dont mind the saloons but its just the practicallity of the avants that wins although the boot does look big on them. Im also not a huge fan of light coloured seats. If yours had be an Avant I would have been on the phone already.

I realise I will get raped with fuel but I only live 8miles from work. Will give me a good excuse to start walking more.

Aye, fair enough. Mine is one of the more practical saloons though, having the split fold rear seats, and ski-bag. But I do get your point. The boot is HUGE though, and I can easily get a set of 18's in there (with the seats down), so still not bad.

Only living 8 miles from work though, guessing through Aberdeen traffic, you'll probably be lucky to see the length of 18mpg.

So can the seats fold flat? I am tempted but I think Id be looking at yours + a little cash. Are you working daily in Aberdeen?

They fold like this:
Angus-20110322-00058.jpg

Angus-20110322-00059.jpg

Angus-20110322-00057.jpg

So not too bad. Not really working at the moment, so not in Aberdeen often, but I am on an Airport run tomorrow. Was gonna take the Diesel, but could put in a few quid petrol and pop up in the S4 if you want a look.

Audi : Audi S4 Avant 4.2 V8

Looks pretty good mate, get yer **** over asap!

Paid a little less for mine last summer with 57K and similar spec. Average 27mpg on a run but well below 20 when haring it. Love it to bits, if you don't do high miles for work and can afford the fuel at weekends go for it. Handles better than my old S3, much quicker and more comfortable to drive.

Cheers, yeah Ive looked through pistonheads. Only issue is I need to sell my Golf before I can buy one unless I can swap for one. As for weekend, Ive got a nice little Corrado VR6 to entertain me.

Ive just purchased a 2003 S4 with 87k. It has had all the "weak" parts replaced - S4's with 80 to 90k on can start to suffer with problems from the clutch, flywheel, timing chains, and starter motor. To give you an idea, the chap I bought mine off had all this work done (at 85k) and cost £2600. However this did include an alternator too. Watch for a broken hinge on glovebox a common fault, and perished seals on washer bottle. If long life service schedule has been used, then you will hear timing chain rattle when cold - and could do with a change. I had a MKiv R32 before this, and I have to say, the R was a great car, but this is in a different class - yes fuel is gonna cost ya - I managed 30.6 at 70mph over 100 miles, town, 13 to 15, mixed 25.. but the sound of that V8 makes it worth while...

:sign_pics:

Sounds nice mate. Did it have all that work done for £2600? I had my timing chain guide go a week into ownership so might be worth looking into getting a warranty as it cost around £5k to fix mine and took them 3 months to do it!

Also mine still had the chain rattle even after the work was done so you may still get it. But switching to a 5w40 oil did the trick for me. Just last night I started it after being away on a work trip for 2 weeks and it started on the button with no rattle at all!

Yeah the work was done at Midland VW

OEM Starter Motor + Alternator £680
Chains, Tensioners, Clutch, Flywheel, £2370 (inc service and Aircon regas)

Lots of £££££ - but a credit to the last owner :) Im happy

e0b061b7.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the work was done at Midland VW

OEM Starter Motor + Alternator £680
Chains, Tensioners, Clutch, Flywheel, £2370 (inc service and Aircon regas)

Lots of £££££ - but a credit to the last owner :) Im happy

e0b061b7.jpg
That sounds like great value, I thought tensioners and chain was an engine out job too.

Thanks for the replies. Im a little hesitant now as it seems around 100k is when the clutch is needing done. Is it farily common to have them go around this mileage and how common is the cam chain stretching?
Ive had a shot of one and was quite impressed. You certianly feel the weight compared to my Golf Gti but they do sound good.

Still not made my mind up about Avant or saloon. Ive never owned a saloon car before.

Oh yeah I take it a quattro towbar will fit either?

Audi state neither the S4 or RS4 should used for towing due to cooling limitations. That said a normal towbar will fit and people do it ok with no problems from what I've read.

Im only going to be towing a supermoto and trailer so it wont stress the engine at all. Probably wouldnt even notice it with all that torque.

Thanks for the replies. Im a little hesitant now as it seems around 100k is when the clutch is needing done. Is it farily common to have them go around this mileage and how common is the cam chain stretching?
Ive had a shot of one and was quite impressed. You certianly feel the weight compared to my Golf Gti but they do sound good.

Still not made my mind up about Avant or saloon. Ive never owned a saloon car before.

As with any car, when the clutch needs replacing depends on previous driving, so 100K is probably about right for one which has been driven relatively sensibly. As for the chain I don't think it is too much of an issue, it's the tensioners which can fail and screw the chain up. It's a gamble really, the chain and tensioners could last the life of the car with regular servicing and the right oil used, or cause you a major problem somewhere along the line. Have them done for peace of mind and spend alot, or don't, save some money and (hopefully) have many years of great motoring.

Mines on 64K (2003) and I have no plans to have this (chain and tensioners) done, there is the slight rattle on start up but then it disappears after a few seconds -which is the norm.

[I write thisjust knowing the chain/tensioners will fail first thing tomorrow on the way to work!]

The weight is definitely there, however it is a very sure footed car and grip is in abundance. Good condition and correct tyres -you're laughing and others smile with you!