S4 tyre wear

AndrewRichmond

Reaction score
Just replaced all the tyres on my S4 Avant. The fronts had done 17k and the rears 12k (earlier puncture). The rears had 4-5mm left but I did'nt want them to be to out wrt the fronts. I thought that 17k was good life from the fronts and wanted fresh rubber for the start of the slippy season but the wear had been very bad on the edges. I thought that the outside front edges were poor but when the tyres came off the insides were shocking (much as said in this month's EVO).

Question is, what have other people found? I have always made sure that the tyres have the recommended 39psi all round but have never understood why a car with so much weight over the front would not have more pressure there compared to the back? I've got the car booked in for 4 wheel alignment and will report back but what are your experiences?

PS Kwik Fit doing 25% disc on Contis (Sport Contact 2's) at the moment - 4 18" OEM tyres fitted for £470.

[ QUOTE ]

PS Kwik Fit doing 25% disc on Contis (Sport Contact 2's) at the moment - 4 18" OEM tyres fitted for £470.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they won't charge a penny for damaging your alloys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Just replaced all the tyres on my S4 Avant. The fronts had done 17k and the rears 12k (earlier puncture). The rears had 4-5mm left but I did'nt want them to be to out wrt the fronts. I thought that 17k was good life from the fronts and wanted fresh rubber for the start of the slippy season but the wear had been very bad on the edges. I thought that the outside front edges were poor but when the tyres came off the insides were shocking (much as said in this month's EVO).

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of interest, do you have many speed humps near you? Specifically the square patches on the road?

We had to get two new tyres on our Lupo recently because the fronts were worn through to the steel on the inside. There was nothing wrong with the tracking (had it checked twice) so I think the wear was cause by us lining up the car so that the tyres went over the edges to soften the bump. I now deliberately put one wheel on the hump and keep the other one on the road so they both have the full contact patch on the road at all times. It means we have to go over them more slowly but better that than throwing away an otherwise good tyre.

When we had our Bora we could line it up and hardly touch the hump but even though the A4 is wider, the tyres are also wider so if you try to line up, the inner edges of the tyres take all the weight.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the speed hump comment - not many round here though.

As for the alloys, I've never had a problem with the branch of KF that I use but I agree you have to be careful.

I replaced my tyres after about 12k IIRC. The outside shoulders on the front two tyres were pretty knackered so I replaced the lot. The insides were worn but not as bad. This may of course reflect driving style.

I replaced my Contis with Michelin Pilot Sport 2s and have found them considerably better in both wet and dry. Of course, they cost a bit more...

My experience is pretty much the same as DocB. Changed at 12K for Michelin Pilot Sport 2s. THe way it's looking at the moment I don't think they will last as long as the conti's however...........

Just a question here... do you guys reverse your tyres once in a while? i.e. front right goes left back etc...? Doesn't that give a longer life span for tyres? BTW, I use Bridgestone SP03's and they are pretty amazing. My friend has a heavily modified S2 and he's been using the new Dunlops and he says that they are really good.

G.

I don't have an S4 for I do have quatro. I got 27K Miles out of my first set and the tyres wore pretty evently all round (Front slightly quicker). The second set I got 25K Miles out of them.

On both occassions I changed all four at the same time. Pirelli P6000's each time although next time I think i'll try somethnig else.

Anyone know where to get the 4 wheel alignment setting for the B6 S4? The place I went to, only had the B5 settings. Still they've adjusted the front to reduce the lousy inside tyre wear.

I'm impressed. 17k on the front? I'm at 9k with an expectation of another 2k before new rubber. I checked with my local dealer about replacement policy. Apparently, unlike earlier Quattro's each axle has its own controller so there is no need to change all 4 tyres at the same time unless there is a big difference in tread depth (not sure how to quantify that but I'd guess at >6-8mm)or a significant difference in tread pattern. So it would seem that you could mix brands as long as they had similar tread patterns. Anyone got a different opinion?

Having said that I'll probably stick with the Contis so I'll report on the best deal I find in a couple of months.

I like to stick with the OEM tyre if I can but the Contis are noisy!

In general with Quattro I read somewhere that you are ok with 2mm of variation, front to rear axle but you should use the same tyres on the two axles.

As for tyre life, perhaps I'm just gentle on the car as its not due its first service until 19k miles.

My car now has more front toe in so hopefully the tyres will wear better.