S4 supercharger cooling mods

xpoweruk

TTTS 8J Smile Machine
Reaction score
As you know forced induction = heated air = bad :)

So to address this (without spending £1000+ on a ready made kit) I did the following

I bought a 97-06 Jaguar XJR XKR uprated chargecooler radiator as the measurements were about perfect.
Some hose,clamps,coolant etc
The grand total for the rad/hoses/bolts/alloy U channel for mounting bracket/hose clamps was £184 :)

A few pics during fitting :)

wp_20160706_001-jpg.96261
wp_20160706_002-jpg.96262
wp_20160706_004-jpg.96263

S4 B8 OE coolant pump 100% duty cycle

I did this mod a a week or so ago,very easy if you don't want it switched as it only requires the cutting of 1 wire.
The wire is Yellow/blue on my 2010 & according to the below it is the same on a 14

c25ef1cb-95c6-4f67-8500-de0ab86c32c1.jpg

The wire is located in the wiring shown being held in the below pic

image3.jpg

With the mod the pump runs at 100% constantly once the the engine is running(compared to around 50% when ECU controlled) ,but slows to a very much slower rate when the engine is off & ignition is on.(pump stops completely when ECU controlled)
The pump stops completely about 20 seconds after removing the key from the ignition

2 logs 2nd through 4th gear (dyno)

Pump mod first on log,then OE PWM controlled 2nd

The pump mod brings temps down by around 2* (2.25* on the log)

Plenty cool down between logs (as you'll see from the time stamps)
You may also notice that by the 2nd run the ambient temps had started to drop by 2* or so

So it would seem to me that the pump mod lowers the stacked chargecoolers IAT's by a couple of degrees compared to stock PWM activation/control.

I made a little graph to illustrate the difference :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chop., Bristle Hound and AudiLeon
I'm watching mate, getting close to a map finally so this could be a winner nice work

Reactions: xpoweruk
The extra heat exchanger is well worth the effort for much cooler IAT's
The pump mod was the cherry on the top lol :)

Next on the list is an extra coolant reservoir in the supercharger coolant loop :)