S4 spare key cutting

audiv8quattro

Reaction score
hi everyone, as some may know I recently purchased my secound Audi, a s4 and it only came with one key and what makes it worse is it isn't even a flip out key it's just a standard square key, so I went down to my local Audi yesterday and they have quoted me £180 for a new key and £57 to code it to my car so I can start it, unlock and lock the doors and unlock the boot, the thing is I really need a key as having to bend down and find the boot lock is p***ing me of. My question is is it possible for me to get a key anywhere else (needs to be a Audi flip key if possible) I do have a spare Audi key here from a mates b7 tdi he used to have but apparently Audi can't code that to my car even if I change the blade for some reason. I don't mind paying the coding price but £180 for a key I think is a bit steep, maybe it's not I don't know.

That's the going rate. You can get them for about £200 coded from Timpsons, supposedly the same as OEM but I've never seen one to compare. I've had 1 key for 3 years just for this reason.

Just make sure you don't lose it, or leave it in the car (they lock automatically after 60 seconds) if coded to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: audiv8quattro
Yes, that's the cost of remote keys thesedays. Not all Timpsons do the remote keys, have a look on their website. The keys are exactly the same as Audi oe ones. They have furnished me with various different car keys over the years and they are a bit cheaper.

Slightly different take on this..

Firstly, I dont get why the previous owners loose their second key! I was in the same boat. Bought the car with one flip out key.

Here's what I did..

1. Bought a flip out key 'shell' from Ebay for about £3 (no internals, just the shell with non cut blade - solid metal block)
2. Got they key cut for £10 matching my current Audi Key. Currently, it can open and close doors manually but Nothing else at this point.

I need to do these next steps below also

3. Next step I would suggest is purchase a second hand Audi Key fob WITH internals (electronics) and swap them over to your new key shell. Ebay sells loads of these for next to nothing.
4. Purchase a NEW transponder chip. I believe Audi on our B6/B7's use the 'ID48' chip. Ebay sell them for £5-10. This is a one time only chip that assigns a code from the ignition barrel of your car to the new chip in your key fob.
5. Get a reputable 'auto lock smith' to code everything as the guys above suggest. Have seen some in the London area say they can do this for about £60.

More leg work but this is cheaper than the above.

Hope this helps..

Ok cheers guys, thanks dr strange, this could actually work, I've got a spare Audi key here from a 2007 a4 a friend had but someone wrote it of, im wondering then if I can do the above mentioned and just maybe take it to Audi and get them to recode it for £57? I know they've already said they can't code that key to my car but with new internals it will effectively be a new key, obviously I'd have to buy a spare blade and get that cut first.

Pleasure mate.

Whilst im sure Audi could do this, im not sure they will want to. They seem to have an all or nothing policy...as in, everything has to be done by them for insurance reasons etc.

Personally I would talk to an expert who deals with auto electronics as they do this on a daily basis.

These guys below were helpful with me.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AutoKeySquad

Hopefully they can sort you out. Eventually I also need to do the same but have put other mods before this one. (Silly me)

You can buy complete new keys on ebay for about £30 and then buy the software and cable for about £10 to code yourself. I did this and have coded a few now. If you get a new key (make sure it's the correct part number for your car as there are a few and won't all be compatible) and you're near Leeds, I could code it for you ;-)

Reactions: dodsie75
Hi Garth_s3 I really appriciate the offer and I would have quite happily paid you to code me a key mate, but unfortunately I'm in Eastbourne East Sussex lol so a bit to far, but I don't suppose you've got a link to the cable/software have you? Also how will I find out what code key I need please, thanks

You can buy complete new keys on ebay for about £30 and then buy the software and cable for about £10 to code yourself. I did this and have coded a few now. If you get a new key (make sure it's the correct part number for your car as there are a few and won't all be compatible) and you're near Leeds, I could code it for you ;-)

This sounds like a very do-able way of getting another key (as I have only one) do you know if the part number has to be exactly the same as the one I have? Mine is 8e0837220 but not many on ebay, loads of 8p0837220 so just wondered if it would work.