S4 security upgrade

Sharrison14

Reaction score
Right, following the theft of my mates S4 last week all im thinking about now is mine going missing and need to do something to prevent it....

Ive considered the following, however not convinced and would like other opinions please;

Tracker - not sure if i would want it back if it went missing....

OBD port lock - definately a consideration however they would have already done damage getting i to the car to find that it is locked? Also not sure where to get one from....

OBD relocation - again same as above, they will already be in the car to find that it isnt there.....

Steering locks - damage the steering wheel so a definate no no

Proximity sensors - Go off if someone is too close but may be a problem in car parks.... Also can be linked to cameras (dash can) etc? Dont know a lot about them but would like some advise?

Cameras with text / photo msg alerts - heard about them but dont know a lot about them either....

Any other ideas, especially short term ideas which would help as i feel this is going to take up some cash to find a suitable solution....

Thanks in advance

I moved my OBD port & had a second alarm/immobilizer fitted.

Wont stop them breaking the glass,but will stop them stealing the car
Also popped these stickers on the window

2_2550_e.jpg

http://www.dmb.uk.com/prod/2786/obd-port-disabled-decal

Reactions: TahirS
Believe it or not our local police have said that the best thing to user is the old Crock lock

In line kill switch on the battery was something a mate did on an old car. However no idea how that would work with central locking etc (wasn't in existence on his) . Possibly could adapt a similar thing for the ignition power line tho. No power = no start

Yeh you'd have to do it on something like the starter motor feed rather than the battery itself, like you say without it central locking etc wouldn't work but you also wouldn't have a functioning alarm / immobiliser. With the amount of electronics and system monitoring in modern cars though I don't think doing stuff like this with any main power feed is a good idea though.
In line kill switch on the battery was something a mate did on an old car. However no idea how that would work with central locking etc (wasn't in existence on his) . Possibly could adapt a similar thing for the ignition power line tho. No power = no start

Or disconnect the main earth strap on top of the gearbox (or high current switch it).
Starter will not work without that, but everything does.

Right, following the theft of my mates S4 last week all im thinking about now is mine going missing and need to do something to prevent it....

Ive considered the following, however not convinced and would like other opinions please;

Tracker - not sure if i would want it back if it went missing....

OBD port lock - definately a consideration however they would have already done damage getting i to the car to find that it is locked? Also not sure where to get one from....

OBD relocation - again same as above, they will already be in the car to find that it isnt there.....

Steering locks - damage the steering wheel so a definate no no

Proximity sensors - Go off if someone is too close but may be a problem in car parks.... Also can be linked to cameras (dash can) etc? Dont know a lot about them but would like some advise?

Cameras with text / photo msg alerts - heard about them but dont know a lot about them either....

Any other ideas, especially short term ideas which would help as i feel this is going to take up some cash to find a suitable solution....

Thanks in advance
Like you, if my S4 goes I DO NOT want it back. I've seen first hand too many times in my last job what they do with stolen cars and what the scum bags leave in in the car as surprises

Me ? Disklok & GAP insurance & garaged every night.

I have 2 Disklok steering wheel covers, like these -
http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/shop/steering-wheel-cover-for-disklok/
& have lined the Disklok with foam rubber to stop it damaging the steering wheel when I fit it. So far so good ...

One of my neighbours has a F10 BMW M5 which he never garages & seems ok at the mo, but I never get complacent. The moment complacency creeps in the bastids will have your car

I have 2 parking spaces where I live, one in front of the other, and the S4 is always at the back with the steering lock on. They'll have to get the Passat out of the way before they get the S4.

Reactions: voorhees
Thieves do not like inconvenience so the more the better

Reactions: TahirS and benjie
I thought about the obd immobiliser and a sticker on the window as an initial fix, a mate of mine could install the switch so it would be a free short term fix but does it need to be engaged everytime i want to use the car or just when the obd needs to be used???

Also, the sticker would need to be more attractive..... Im a stickler for things like that....

Reactions: xpoweruk
http://www.clifford.co.uk have some great systems these days.

They can be set to work independently of the Audi key,so even if the Audi key gets cloned the car is still alarmed & immobilized

Like you, if my S4 goes I DO NOT want it back. I've seen first hand too many times in my last job what they do with stolen cars and what the scum bags leave in in the car as surprises

Me ? Disklok & GAP insurance & garaged every night.

I have 2 Disklok steering wheel covers, like these -
http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/shop/steering-wheel-cover-for-disklok/
& have lined the Disklok with foam rubber to stop it damaging the steering wheel when I fit it. So far so good ...

One of my neighbours has a F10 BMW M5 which he never garages & seems ok at the mo, but I never get complacent. The moment complacency creeps in the bastids will have your car

+1.

Although I garage the car it is the GAP that counts: 5 years vehicle replacement. I can't even be bothered to use my disklok. I guess my only risk is if its stolen during the 'blackout' after the S5 is out of production and the B9 S4 hasn't launched.

Reactions: TahirS and benjie
Whats peoples thoughts on the alarm systems that can be linked to your phone?

I like the idea just seems a bit too good to be true and hackable very easy???

+1.

Although I garage the car it is the GAP that counts: 5 years vehicle replacement. I can't even be bothered to use my disklok. I guess my only risk is if its stolen during the 'blackout' after the S5 is out of production and the B9 S4 hasn't launched.
I think I could find another car to spend my £42k + on after the insurance and GAP claim TBH

Like you @Dippy I also have a 5 year vehicle replacement GAP policy
Whats peoples thoughts on the alarm systems that can be linked to your phone?

I like the idea just seems a bit too good to be true and hackable very easy???
@Sharrison14 - Do you really want to know if you're possibly going to be confronted by this situation

Steering lock is so easy. Steering wheel might get a tiny mark or two but that's really minor in my sight compared with losing your car. The sight of it should be enough to put the numpties off.