S4 Remap Experiences - Stock to APR to MRC

Spr0cket

Reaction score
Just sharing my experiences as I found limited feedback and genuine owner experiences when I was seeking remap options and guidance (though thanks to those limited few who could advise).

I've owned my S4 for almost a year now. It's a 2009 DSG variant and whilst the original stock platform was good, it wasn't as thrilling as I believed it could be. With the sports diff, adjustable suspension etc. I was sure it was capable of so much more, even for spirited road use.

So after a couple of months ownership I went with a stage 2 APR upgrade, that consisted of remap to ECU (removal from car and hardware interface to apply), then installation of a new pulley to the supercharger. This took the stock car from being good to being great. Service from APR / Awesome GTI was fab.
In terms of the drive ... torque was noticeably increased and the engine would now pull hard to forced upshifts at around 7K, removing the plateau of power delivery that was enforced at just over 5K in stock form. The car now made me smile when pushing on and made it far more engaging, able to extract and use more of what the engine offered.

Stock my car reported around 340ps and 330nm. The APR stage 2 upgrades took it to approx. 425ps and 516nm

Time passed and I grew accustomed to the added oomph... in that time MRC had just also released their own stage 2 upgrade option - consisting of remap and pulley (although they replace the Engine drive pulley rather than the supercharger drive shaft one). So impulse took over one Friday afternoon and after a call to Doug at MRC I was booked in for their attentions the very next morning.

The work took around 3 to 4 hours as expected and the only added hardware was a replacement induction pipe from std. air box to s/c inlet (I'd already replaced the stock filter with a foam upgrade). I should make clear also that I only ever run the car on 95 RON fuel, I know that's not optimal however I only have to pay 40% of the fill up this way due to a fuel card.

That was around 3-4 weeks ago and I have to say, that it's taken what was a great delivery and made it simply fabulous. Torque is increased everywhere, and it's all so progressive and usable with predictable delivery. Top end grunt is simply fantastic compared to stock.

Despite my needing to run it on 95 Ron fuel it still reached 464ps and 575 nm with Dougs stage 2 map. He suspects another 10 to 15 ps could be found on some 99 Ron fuel. While the figures show a further 10% increase in power and torque, it is the delivery that has surprised me the most – it feels smooth as silk. Doug did mention something about secondary throttle valve or something which he uses to flatten some of the delivery, though I wasn't really listening at that point as I wanted to get on the road to try it out.

I just love how versatile this car is, from wife pootling around, to taking our large dog in the back and then occasionally surprising the odd sports car - it really is the best daily driver I think I could imagine presently.

It's all just so linear and useable... Goes from ****** all, to ****** me, to ****** this so deceptively easily.

So for anyone considering a remap to their S, I'd have to heartily recommend looking no further than MRC.

Reactions: Rab.
Spr0cket, this sounds great. I assume the car has Drive Select? Are the various modes all turned up to 11? My car is stock, I think I will leave it like this for at least the rest of the warranty, I still like to pootle in "Comfort" and am surprised every time it gives me whiplash in "Dynamic".
On the 2nd mod did you go back to the standard pulley on the supercharger or have you got a really high revving supercharger now?

Ah sorry didn't clarify that piece. I kept the APR pulley on and skipped the MRC hardware piece. Figured there was little benefit to be had for what would be hassle and cost of refitting stock pulley to charger and then the MRC pulley.

So i'm running stock pulley on engine drive, APR pulley on the charger drive shaft. MRC seemed able to extract similar gains from this as with their own hardware.

Car has the ADS. I tend to run it in auto much of the time around town though do enjoy it turned up when in less urban surroundings.

I wanted to take a minute to thank you for posting this thread spr0cket.

I am based in Guernsey which has a 35mph max speed limit but I still enjoy my cars. I have a B8 S4 Avant with S-tronic DSG gearbox and had looked into the various remaps available and came to the conclusion that MRC offered the best option. But I never really get above 4k revs here. I potter around in auto most of the time on the way to the office and back but occasionally blast in dynamic or individual modes.

We do not have Shell or BP fuels here, we only have Rubis who offer super unleaded at 98RON and regular unleaded at 95RON but here is the juxt, they (Rubis) are removing Super Unleaded from sale at the end of March 2013 due to lack of demand but the downside is those islanders who use Super Unleaded will have no option but to use regular unleaded in future. At the moment I always use Super.

I am very glad that you were able to provide feedback based on 95RON fuel because this gives me an idea of what I can expect if I went ahead with Stage 2 from MRC. Persuading the wife it's a good idea is another story though.

On another note, I've fitted a FBSW and post-facelift gearknob which to my eyes update the interior leaps and bounds beyond stock.

Glad my experiences could be of use FP.
I've done the gear knob, plan to do wheel though struggling with the many different versions.

I want something a little "fatter" to grip than the stock S4 wheel and I've tried a flat bottom in a face lift A4 2.0 and found it to still be a little lacking in girth around the rim. The RS wheels are I'm led to believe a little fatter than the regular options so need to "get a grip" on one to test this and narrow my options.

Good luck getting any customer service from them afterwards. They will ALWAYS blame the car. I have experienced this first hand and seen it second hand a few times. They may be ok oin the newer generic stuff, but custom mapping, I think not.

I tend to have low expectations of Audi's customer service anyway so them claiming a non standard element of the platform is responsible for any failure will not shock. Drive train I'd find it tough to challenge in some ways, however I'll cross that bridge if and when any transaction makes it necessary.

I tend to have low expectations of Audi's customer service anyway so them claiming a non standard element of the platform is responsible for any failure will not shock. Drive train I'd find it tough to challenge in some ways, however I'll cross that bridge if and when any transaction makes it necessary.

Im sure Audi will be fine, I was on about MRC

Ah I see. It was / is my first experience of them so have no real reference.
One of the reasons I chose APR initially was that after care element and the backup they seem to have for their customers.

However MRC seem to have a large following of loyal clients here in the UK and I felt confident with them given their own S4 development car. I've not had reason to find them anything other than helpful, at least thus far so hope that will remain the case.

The R8 wheel is another option, it's definitely thicker than the other FBSW's.

Great post, I'm now thinking about this mod for my S4. Hows it affect you MPG ?

so just to clarify, on remap an pulley you went from 340 to 464ps?!? blimey!

Glad the post was a useful view of my own experiences.

MPG seems largely unaffected, stock I averaged around 20.5, same with APR, that now seems to be around 21.5 with MRC. I assume thats due to added torque meaning less need to use as much throttle to pick up momentum? I should warn you though, when it is so addictive to open it up economy is likely to be a secondary focus with so much fun to be had.

MRC seem to be able to extract 480 on higher RON fuel consistently, while with an exhaust too 500 seems to be achievable.

Do you or anyone else have a graph?

Did you not need the DSG remap with either of them? I've heard you get a lot of slippage with the clutch as its doesn't pull the clutch in quicker to go with the quicker engine pick up when pulling away/ changing gear on higher loads?

I have pulley exhaust and filter fitted on my S5 ready for the remap.... but who to go with? Revo don't support the pulley so out the window. APR cost so much more but you can adjust the map, MRC are cheap but your stuck with one map? I had Revo with the chip on my last S5 V8 and it was great to be able to change when not having 99 Ron or going into audi...

Please convince me to go MRC to save me £5-600 with the DSG remap :)