S4 Real World Mpg. What You All Getting?

S

Simonb1975

I'm currently weighing up my options for my next car. I have a ton of decisions to make.
So far, something with a good bit of go and 4 wheel drive heads the list. I like the S3 saloon but a larger boot is really needed so the S4 is now on the radar.

I've never gone over a 2.5 litre engine yet so was wondering what sort of real world Mpg you S4 owners are getting.

Thanks

Average about 30 worst low 20s best (motorway with 60 limits everywhere!) about 33. Drive carefully you should see around 30 use the performance and it will be nearer 25.

Might depend on the year you are looking to buy. The current model is (on paper only I suspect) more economical that the S3 8P. It definately has lower road tax. There was obviously a tweak to something about the engines as the older S4's are not as economical as the current model (again on paper).

I'm waiting for delivery of mine, but on the test drive I did see 30 without trying too hard and it only had 400 ish miles on the clock. I also saw 15...

I'll be posting a 1000 mile review of mine soon but over that first 1000 I've averaged 24.7mpg. On my commute to work in the mornings I do regularly see 31-33mpg so it is possible. Obviously the fun times are taking a bite out of the average but I really don't mind. :)

As an aside on the 8V forum I've seen people posting up prices for their S3s that are more than I paid for my S4.

Welcome to ASN!

If you are worried about mpg and the cost don't buy one. If you're happy to keep filling her up, then buy one.

They are great!

Reactions: S3-Chris, WOLF, scotty76 and 1 other person
I'm getting 29mpg from a focus ST now, so anything roundabout is nether here nor there I suppose.

If you are worried about mpg and the cost don't buy one. If you're happy to keep filling her up, then buy one.

They are great!

That's the answer, though during my commute I find that driving too slowly means increased fuel usage, also during my commute which is only 15 miles, I can't expect to have much fun, so aim for best economy. Luckily now I seem to have the use of an Ibiza 1.4 SC while is really more the car that suits short commutes - though with that I'm still trying to get maximum economy, ie hi "40s"! S4 hides in garage and only gets out to play when longer trips are planned.

Its the wrong answer to any one asking 'whats the real life mpg'. Everyone has a budget, would you be happy with 5 mpg? 10mpg? 15 mpg? I'm sure the OP realises its not a 80 mpg hybrid, but he probably doesn't want to remortgage the house to fuel it either - so he's asking the question.

Reactions: voorhees
Maybe, but a few answers with "round about 30MPG" have been posted with the disclaimer that you can play and end up with 20MPG - or less. Really, I can't criticise the OP for posting that question, but with a car with a bit of performance, the "best" to "worst" MPG range will be quite big. These are not the type of car to buy is £ per week in fuel costs are a serious consideration.

I've heard that there are some cars out there, that can be driven gently or briskly and end up with roughly the same MPG - so a "real world" average fuel consumption figure can be offered for them, cars like the S4 is not one of them, so any figures quoted will only be achievable if the OP uses the car in exactly the same way as the person answering the posting.

Last edited:
All correct to a point but the answers provided are a lot more useful than the 'official figures'
I enquire on these matters everytime I change cars and the info proves valuable each time.

Usually without exception, several replies with real world Mpg will give the answer i'm looking for as a general guide.

My driving is a general mix so I guess i'd be looking at mid - late 20's on average. Not too far from what i'm getting now (Certainly worth it with the increased performance and four wheel drive)

I find statements like 'if you're worried about mpg don't buy one' really quite patronising. I worried about mpg before I bought one, I worried about mpg before I bought my S3 and I worried about mpg before I bought my GTI before that. But I did my homework and found that all cars sit below what I considered to be my acceptable monthly spend on fuel. As time has gone on my 'acceptable spend' on fuel has gone up. That doesn't mean I can afford to run anything I like though. For others who genuinely have no budget concerns then I envy you - but I suspect the majority have a certain cost threshold driven by both the miles they do and the mpg their car gets where they decide what they can and can't afford. And what you can and can't afford is very much a function of personal circumstances and personal priorities - but you'd be incredibly foolish to jump in and buy something with little idea of what it will cost you to own.

Its not an exact science, but asking those who actually own the car you're looking to buy has to be one of the best ways to understand the real world costs, qualified against individual driving styles or not.

Reactions: voorhees and elpeterol
As others have stated, the real world mpg of a car is down to a number of variables. The following is a snapshot of my experience thus far with my S4 (MY14 Avant S-tronic)

Over 11k miles, it has averaged 23.7mpg (Interestingly, my 8P S3 averaged 25.8mpg over 30k miles) Same driving style and commute to work, which is mostly 30-50mph over 10 miles of A-road.

Motorway runs of 70-75mph will return 31-33mpg, whilst a B-road blast will give me late teens.

Overall, the 64 litre tank gives me a range of 270-300 miles of mixed driving. A long distance run will return almost 340miles, but have only achieved this on continental jaunts made up of long stretches of motorway.

Hope this helps.

As others have stated, the real world mpg of a car is down to a number of variables. The following is a snapshot of my experience thus far with my S4 (MY14 Avant S-tronic)

Over 11k miles, it has averaged 23.7mpg (Interestingly, my 8P S3 averaged 25.8mpg over 30k miles) Same driving style and commute to work, which is mostly 30-50mph over 10 miles of A-road.

Motorway runs of 70-75mph will return 31-33mpg, whilst a B-road blast will give me late teens.

Overall, the 64 litre tank gives me a range of 270-300 miles of mixed driving. A long distance run will return almost 340miles, but have only achieved this on continental jaunts made up of long stretches of motorway.

Hope this helps.

This pretty much echoes my experience of 2 years ownership but the reserve fuel in the tank must be about 10 litres as the most I've managed to put into the tank (even after driving as far as I dared with zero miles to go on the trip computer) is 55 litres.
Great car, perfect for my requirements and I'll only be "upgrading" to an RS4 when the V8 is retired.

Some figures I've had for my Pre-Facelift S4 with S-Tronic gearbox:

Short drives/commute in heavy traffic - 17 to 20mpg.

Motorway longer runs - As high as 32mpg at around 70mph.

My average over 4k miles has been 21.5mpg!

B8.5 avant, s-tonic.

Getting 30ish on the motorway at, er, motorway speeds.

Average on a 15 mile mixed run commute with A roads is around 26-28 depending on traffic and keenness of driving.

Went for a good spin/proper drive the other day on the twisties and still got 18, given the fun factor I'm happy with that.

Did a long run up the motorway a few months back with the car fully loaded with cases, travel cots and everything else you need and hit 33. Seems very reasonable to me.

In avant form its probably the most all round car out there. Loads of space, goes like stink, looks the nuts and is still reasonable on overall running costs (apart from tyres! On 19s).

I've owned mine (Saloon Stronic) for a couple of weeks now and I'm gettting circa 23mpg. Coming from a 330d which returned around 37mpg its a bit of a killer when filling up, but in saying that I bought the car with eyes wide open! Man math says that because you can put 95 ron, which is 15p a litre cheaper than the Diesel Nitro+ i was using for the 330d, there's a saving there!!

True enough. My stage 1 remapped B7 needed Super Unleaded. The S4 takes standard. B7 cost £75-80 to fill up. S4 costs £65-70.

I think I would be more annoyed with getting only 37mpg from an oil burner....

I think I would be more annoyed with getting only 37mpg from an oil burner....

Thats the norm for a 330d auto, it was remapped too, but that wouldnt have affected the mpg that much. The S3 I had before was only getting 27mpg, so 37 was awesome!

I can wholeheartedly recommend one. have had my b8 S4 avant with Revo stage 1 remap for over a year now, it has averaged 25.5 over that period. I travel from Sutherland down to Aberdeen and back once a month to go offshore. If I take the A96 sitting between 50-70 depending on traffic, it averages 30-33. Even taking the A939 Lecht (Amazing driving road for car or bike) this drops to around 21-23.
But that engine is an absolute peach, supercharging gives it useful pull from as low as 1000rpm and another kick from 3000 right through to 6000.
Do it. you wont be disappointed.:):nogarors4::kissmyrings:

Reactions: voorhees
I can wholeheartedly recommend one. have had my b8 S4 avant with Revo stage 1 remap for over a year now, it has averaged 25.5 over that period. I travel from Sutherland down to Aberdeen and back once a month to go offshore. If I take the A96 sitting between 50-70 depending on traffic, it averages 30-33. Even taking the A939 Lecht (Amazing driving road for car or bike) this drops to around 21-23.
But that engine is an absolute peach, supercharging gives it useful pull from as low as 1000rpm and another kick from 3000 right through to 6000.
Do it. you wont be disappointed.:):nogarors4::kissmyrings:

I'm running the stage 1 too, what fuel do you use?

Some excellent info on here,good to read.

I'm running the stage 1 too, what fuel do you use?
Not many super unleaded station's around here. So mostly run it on normal unleaded. But when I get the chance she gets treated to V power. When its on the second tank of super you notice a big difference in response and drive. That's when you really feel the difference of the remap.
Yeah, it's pretty much ticks every box for me, as a car.

Not many super unleaded station's around here. So mostly run it on normal unleaded. But when I get the chance she gets treated to V power. When its on the second tank of super you notice a big difference in response and drive. That's when you really feel the difference of the remap.
Yeah, it's pretty much ticks every box for me, as a car.

Do you keep it on the same remap program when running 95 Ron?

jerrygttdi, "But that engine is an absolute peach, supercharging gives it useful pull from as low as 1000rpm and another kick from 3000 right through to 6000." - are you sure about that - does the Revo stage 1 map bring in the supercharger at 1000rpm, normal operation is supercharger on bypass until 3000rpm.

Hi Rum4mo. I did not realise that it was on bypass until 3000. I just presumed by the way I could leave it 3rd gear around an uphill hairpin bend and it still pulls from 1000rpm.
Trick971. I don't have the sps module yet, so it stays on the revo map all the time. Through all that time have never had any detonation. Yet!
SPS module, next purchase.

Hi Rum4mo. I did not realise that it was on bypass until 3000. I just presumed by the way I could leave it 3rd gear around an uphill hairpin bend and it still pulls from 1000rpm.

Yes, a bit of a strange one that, supercharging was meant to get applied all the way through the rev range, so, at least at lower revs, a better solution than turbo charging - so why did Audi leave it on bypass until 3000 RPM - I'm sure that there will be a good reason!