S4 Owners - Your Best & Worst Average MPG Figures (According To Your DIS)

BH, Can you explain the "playing with the blue BMW"? :shrug:
Nope !
no.gif

laughing.gif
laughing.gif
laughing.gif

Reactions: Blackwhite
Ohhhh Darn! ^
That sounded very interesting.
(If you change your mind I won't tell anybody). :bye:

Reactions: Bristle Hound
The 8.5s must be a little better than the 8s. I do 16k miles a year and my best is 27. And worst is around 14.

Meant to add my long term average since ownership is 23.

Its a thirsty little fella. Loves drinking 98Ron. I'm lucky, I walk to work.

My Average has been stuck on 24 mpg since collection (using Road trip app)
But I’m just over a year in, gone past the 10K mark and the mpg seems to be increasing marginally (but I am running it on the good stuff at the mo)

Mine is on 9k miles now, long term average on the DIS is still 27mpg. It almost never sees town traffic or queues for that matter - most journeys will be 10 miles or longer and 80% of the time is piloted by the better half with the kids in the back (So I would hope driven sedately).

Edit: Just realised I'm repeating myself from an earlier post but since the mileage has increased maybe still of value.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keef
I got a record 36.2mpg average recently due to average speed camera on the motorway!

Closely followed by 25mpg average at long trip at an average speed just over 100mph on the autobahn.

Managed this for the 18 mile journey to work today on rural A roads, a couple of slower town sections but mostly at 45-55mph behind other cars moving along decently but with no real opportunities to overtake. I'd have struggled to get that from my old 130i and I always thought that was very good on fuel considering it was a 270bhp 3L straight 6 so I'm very impressed, although the S4 certainly drinks more than the 130 when opened up. First tank with the car was around 25mpg, second one just under 28mpg measured from filling up rather than OBC whereas the 130 could easily average 30mpg+ over a tankful.

One of the great things about the S4 is the different characteristics you can get with the ADS, including mpg.

Just recently I had a 290 mile trip coming up and not being in any great rush I thought I would try and see if I could improve on the 39.7mpg picture I posted a while ago. So in efficiency mode, on a mixture of motorways with some 50mph sections and some boring A roads, not breaking speed limits, only a few overtakes, after starting with a full tank I arrived with slightly less than half a tank left. Near the end the DIS trip average was showing 41.something but unfortunately dropped to 39.7 by the time I got a bit lost and parked up. So a car that is very economical when in old fart mode and not ridiculously thirsty when hooning around, like on my return trip!

One thing I've noticed is the average doesn't change by 0.1mpg increments but jumps every so often, eg from 39.7 to 40.3 to 40.9, and never showing an intermediate figure, so likely not totally accurate.

Reactions: Locoblade
One of the great things about the S4 is the different characteristics you can get with the ADS, including mpg.

Just recently I had a 290 mile trip coming up and not being in any great rush I thought I would try and see if I could improve on the 39.7mpg picture I posted a while ago. So in efficiency mode, on a mixture of motorways with some 50mph sections and some boring A roads, not breaking speed limits, only a few overtakes, after starting with a full tank I arrived with slightly less than half a tank left. Near the end the DIS trip average was showing 41.something but unfortunately dropped to 39.7 by the time I got a bit lost and parked up. So a car that is very economical when in old fart mode and not ridiculously thirsty when hooning around, like on my return trip!

One thing I've noticed is the average doesn't change by 0.1mpg increments but jumps every so often, eg from 39.7 to 40.3 to 40.9, and never showing an intermediate figure, so likely not totally accurate.
That's good info. It's easy to fall in to the trap of thinking, "hey this is a sporty car, and I didn't buy an S4 to worry about economy". This is a timely reminder that it's a multi-faceted car, and doesn't always need to be sporty. I might try something similar next month when I, Mrs Grumpy Old and the dog are cruising up ther A1 to Northumberland.

Reactions: Hear-Vier
Managed this for the 18 mile journey to work today on rural A roads, a couple of slower town sections but mostly at 45-55mph behind other cars moving along decently but with no real opportunities to overtake. I'd have struggled to get that from my old 130i and I always thought that was very good on fuel considering it was a 270bhp 3L straight 6 so I'm very impressed, although the S4 certainly drinks more than the 130 when opened up. First tank with the car was around 25mpg, second one just under 28mpg measured from filling up rather than OBC whereas the 130 could easily average 30mpg+ over a tankful.
View attachment 65840

35.3 mpg would have been helped by the fact you were listening to Radio 2, relaxing music allowing you to chill and let the world go by!

Reactions: Locoblade and Hear-Vier
Haha, only listen to it in the mornings with Chris Evans having suddenly felt about 10 years too old for Radio 1 when Chris Moyles left and it was re-aimed squarely at teenagers, the rest of the R2 shows aren't really my cup of tea.

Other day on holiday I managed 35.2mpg. Car loaded to the brim with kids, cases, pram, toys, travel cot, footwells filled, spare gaps next to seats filled. 130mile trip down motorways and A roads with a large part of it in horrendous traffic. Well chuffed.

Haha, only listen to it in the mornings with Chris Evans having suddenly felt about 10 years too old for Radio 1 when Chris Moyles left and it was re-aimed squarely at teenagers, the rest of the R2 shows aren't really my cup of tea.
I'll be on Planet Rock, so about 20mpg then. :)

32.9mpg on a run up to Telford from the South Coast.
1st hour was 45 miles on a poor A road, the rest was 60-75mph (M25/M40/M6).
Upon reaching Wales the mpg went to rats.......but it was fun !!!!!

My average since collecting it is 18.2 according to the dis. Having said that, I have been having a lot of fun and it's all been either B roads or town work. :)

Reactions: pez81 and Hear-Vier
My average since collecting it is 18.2 according to the dis. Having said that, I have been having a lot of fun and it's all been either B roads or town work. :)
Nice to see you've been running your new S4 in the 'right way' :D

Reactions: Chiefbadger
On a heafty run I've managed 8mpg and then a family 600miles to France I got about 38-42. I actually saw 375 out of a tank. Average is about 22-23mpg and 220-250miles

Reactions: scotty76
On a heafty run I've managed 8mpg and then a family 600miles to France I got about 38-42. I actually saw 375 out of a tank. Average is about 22-23mpg and 220-250miles
Wow, good effort. 295 is the most I've ever had from a tank.

Since passing the 10K mark ive noticed my MPG is creeping up and starting to improve!
always use to be under 300 miles on a tank, now over! getting at least 306 oooh

Reactions: jdp1962, Bristle Hound, Phill_ and 1 other person
One slightly odd thing I'm noticing consistently is that the individual trip consumption ("mpg 1") that resets itself from every cold start journey isn't aligned with the longer term ("mpg 2") that I reset at every fill.

My 20 mile each way commute which is 99% of my driving over a tankful hardly ever shows below 31-32mpg by the time I arrive (and as shown above can be up to 35mpg) so logically the long term mpg should also be showing ~31-32mpg. However the long term "mpg 2" taken over the tank always seems to end up settling at no higher than 30mpg which is much closer to the brim to brim at-the-pump measurement of between 28mpg and 29mpg. So with my car at least, the individual trip mpg is around 3-4mpg optimistic whereas the longer term measurement is only 1-2mpg optimistic, but why there's be a discrepancy between the two I don't know because surely they should use the same fuel flow and distance figures from the ECU.

So I have yet to achieve 200 miles to a tank. I think it's actually thirstier than my old TVR! Town driving and plenty of B roads don't seem to encourage frugality!!

Last 65 miles 15.8mpg. 40% of this is probably short town journey's
15 mile spirited run this morning to dealers 17.6mpg
The long term No.2 DIS, which had been running for 3000 mile was reading 22mpg before I reset it earlier in the week.

Reactions: Chiefbadger
So I have yet to achieve 200 miles to a tank. I think it's actually thirstier than my old TVR! Town driving and plenty of B roads don't seem to encourage frugality!!

Jeepers, hopefully it will loosen up and improve for you! My journeys are mostly rural although not quiet B roads with limited opportunity to exercise the loud pedal other than the odd overtake (perhaps 1-2 per journey) and hardly any town driving but I get around 350 miles to a tank! The lowest I've had on a 15 mile blat is around 20mpg but that was driving in a way you couldn't do every day due to traffic and self preservation, so short of a trackday or a syphon I'm not sure how mine could empty the tank in less than 200 miles! Perhaps mine was the one that Audi submitted for the fuel consumption tests :D

Reactions: Keef and scotty76
One slightly odd thing I'm noticing consistently is that the individual trip consumption ("mpg 1") that resets itself from every cold start journey isn't aligned with the longer term ("mpg 2") that I reset at every fill.

My 20 mile each way commute which is 99% of my driving over a tankful hardly ever shows below 31-32mpg by the time I arrive (and as shown above can be up to 35mpg) so logically the long term mpg should also be showing ~31-32mpg. However the long term "mpg 2" taken over the tank always seems to end up settling at no higher than 30mpg which is much closer to the brim to brim at-the-pump measurement of between 28mpg and 29mpg. So with my car at least, the individual trip mpg is around 3-4mpg optimistic whereas the longer term measurement is only 1-2mpg optimistic, but why there's be a discrepancy between the two I don't know because surely they should use the same fuel flow and distance figures from the ECU.

I've previously read somewhere else on here that it's possible to change the DIS fuel economy measurement parameters with VCDS. So guess the factory didn't input the same for both trips 1 and 2. This is something that I'd try checking too but trip 2 is showing stats for the entire time since I picked it up; average speed is disappointingly low!

Official figures from the April 2014 brochure for your entertainment value:

Urban: 28mpg
Extra urban: 45.6mpg
Combined: 36.7mpg

My current, 2015 average is 25.8mpg (measured not DIS).

Official figures from the April 2014 brochure for your entertainment value:

Urban: 28mpg
Extra urban: 45.6mpg
Combined: 36.7mpg
@scotty76 - Now those figures ARE funny!
What have Audi done? Pulled some numbers out of a hat!

Reactions: scotty76
Just covered 340 miles up the M11 and A1 from Kent to Northumberland. Average speed was 63mph but that involved quite a lot of 80mph cruising mixed with slow ambling behind lorries and vans on the two-lane A1 (not remotely amusing!). DIS reads 32.1mpg, but when I filled up at 330 miles, it took 10.88 gal, so real figure was 30.3mpg.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, scotty76 and Keef
They may as well scrap official figures referring to MPG's and make up some other unit of measurement. Nimblybobs....

My S4 does -

Urban: 60 nimblybobs
Extra urban: 100 nimblybobs
Combined: 80 nimblybobs

And everyone else does the same thing, so an M3 does 50 nimblybobs urban.

It's only given as a figure used for comparison and doesn't reflect real world values, at least they are transparent about that bit (unlike other things), although hide it in small print. :)

Nimblybobs.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Hear-Vier, scotty76 and 1 other person
They may as well scrap official figures referring to MPG's and make up some other unit of measurement. Nimblybobs....

My S4 does -

Urban: 60 nimblybobs
Extra urban: 100 nimblybobs
Combined: 80 nimblybobs

And everyone else does the same thing, so an M3 does 50 nimblybobs urban.

It's only given as a figure used for comparison and doesn't reflect real world values, at least they are transparent about that bit (unlike other things), although hide it in small print. :)

Nimblybobs.
Nimblybobs.

Is that metric, imperial or SI unit?