S4 oil temp

Stevieuk2003

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Only had the S4 a few weeks and has been in (under Audi warranty) for rattle at idle. I also thought i had been losing boost so suspected turbu wastegate actuator spring. Boost has come back with clean bill of health and rattle attributed to knackered water pump which was replaced under warranty. They asked if i wanted to do the timing belts and tensioners at the same time for cost of parts only which i took them up on. I only got it back last night and the rattle has certainly gone. I took it for a long fast run and noticed the oil temp gauge was showing over 160. Redline for this gauge is 180 this sees ridiculously high to me. It came down slightly to 120-140 after 10 minutes steady driving. What do other S4 owners get when driven normal.ly and also driven hard?

Should sit at 12 oclock position approx 115-120 degrees, with coolant the same at 90 degrees. My 2.8Q never moves from these positions but appreciate the turbo's in an S4 will need the oil to work harder so it may creep up when driven hard.

Sounds incredibly high, even for the hardest of road use in a heat wave summer.

Basically, something wrong there.

The highest oil temp I have seen was ~120deg. That was driving in 30+ deg
heat on a long motorway run and late for a funeral (i.e. on certain sections of
track I was going quite fast).

It may not have been clear from my last post. 160 deg is WAY too high, your
oil cannot take those temps for very long. Did they fill it back up with coolant
when they changed your water pump? My guess is there is no coolant in it
or they fubar'd the water pump changed.

I have only had the car about 3 weeks. I suspect the gauge is the problem as i complained to Audi when it went in for the rattle that the gauge was varying wildly. The car was serviced by Audi 3 weeks ago as well. I will ring them now to explain the problem.

good idea i would call them.. you should never see over 120 really and if i did i would pull over and turn it off.
this is when you will do the most dammage!!!

i've never seen over 120 in mine and thats with running gas too?

be safe.. get it looked at....:icon_thumright:

I often drive mine very, very hard at extreme speeds ( on private roads, of course ) and both temp gauges never leave the 12 O'Clock position.

I would much rather spend some money investigating whats up, than assume its the gauge...

Do you have access to VAG-COM? That should let you know if you have any problems that are causing it to run high.

thanks for the input guys. I took it back to audi today and they checked it said it read 120 deg C which is fine. I told them i had only come a short distance from work and had definitely seen over 160 for 15 mins or so last night. The service said there was nothing they could do but at least my concern was registered. I still suspect the gauge because on the way home from Audi i gave it some welly and it actually went down to a little above 80 from the 100-120 it had been earlier in the day. (I checked the oil level before doing this and it was spot on)

I ordered a VAG-COM cable last night off Ebay (sorry Ross) but will go the licenced route when i have recoivered from cost of buying the car. I do hope it is possible to check the relevent parameters using the older 409.1 version though?

Something is going to go bang at those temps. You may have actually damaged the oil that is in there now. I would suggest an oil change. Other possibility of course is you have a dodgy sensor? Given Audi had just worked on the car I think they have cocked something up. How is the water temp?

I think there is a thermostat in the watercooling unit by the filter. Possible that stuck now allowing the oil to be cooled as it got to temperature.