S4 not starting. Please help guys...

S4DJB

Reaction score
Hi guys

My b5 S4 cut out last night and would not restart.

I called the AA and the guy reckoned the cambelt had gone so towed me home. Today I had another look and I can see through the oil filler hole that the camshaft is not turning. However, the engine still turns over and today actually started again, but ran very badly and sounded nasty, a bit of a metallic sound.

Having spoken to a guy at MRC, he reckons that there is a cam chain at the back of the engine which links the inlet camshaft (attached directly to the cambelt) to the exhaust camshaft (viewable from the oil filler hole).

I know there is no way that the engine will run if the belt had snapped so I suspect that the cam chain must have gone.

Here is a video of the engine cranking:
Audi S4 not starting - YouTube

I've been quoted around 18 hours labour for the repair job including removal the cylinder head etc but obviously there will be other costs involved in repairing the cylinder head / bent exhaust valves / new cam belt + tensioners etc.

I want to get it repaired because I really like the car but the repair prices are getting to the point where it would be cheaper to sell the car as it is / get a whole new engine etc. Also, I have contemplated repairing it myself over a period of weeks but it's a scary job and beyond my experience.

Just looking for some advice really. Is there anyone out there who knows these engines or can confirm my diagnosis?
Can anyone recommend a good garage or mechanic in or around surrey who could do this repair work?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be really appreciated. I'm already missing the car :(

Thanks in advance guys

Take the rocker covers off and have a look.

Maybe the front timing belt cover too.

Shouldnt be too challenging to remove the two rocker covers and see whats going on.

Get a compression test done be easy to see what's going on and you only have to remove 6 coils and 6 plugs. i can here some compression on the vid but it may be from the o/s of the v6 you will be able to see which side of the V6 the problem lies so you can start stripping it further just by doing a simple compression test.

Sorry to hear this. Not much help here but I've just replaced my cam chain tensioner and was shocked to see the state of the old one. It had worn right through on the bottom runner and the chain was running on the metal bracket! It was literally only miles off a total fail. I have pics of it but cant get them off my ****** phone coz I was going to do a write up. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility that your garage guy maybe right I'm afraid.
Hope its all fixable for you pal