S4 MPG

Nham68

Reaction score
Hugely impressed by MPG today. Cambridge to Heathrow to Cotswolds .. 150m approx. average of 58 mph.. including 20 mins in traffic . 37.8 mpg average ! That included a few blasts...

Also impressed with the Audi pre-sense. Traveling down dual carriageway, 65mph, looked down for a moment to press recirculate button ... just as I looked up the dashboard pinged and all brakes hammered on as the car in front slowled sharply ... car braked v.hard , probably 0.5s before i had my foot on pedal.
Everything came flying off the seats ... I have it set to medium . Darned good .. easy for anyone to be momentarily distracted in looking away . Maybe / maybe not saved my bacon but really great to have it . I did notice that the car veered slightly , I felt the car was also steering away from the car in front . I think it is designed to do this. The guy behind nearly hit me too.

Attachments

• 8FC103B9-4572-4F61-8342-2FBF24529BC6.jpeg
    8FC103B9-4572-4F61-8342-2FBF24529BC6.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 481
Reactions: Chris S 1245, THQuattro and Keef
Sounds like a new pair of pants may be needed! Do you measure MPG independently of the cars calculations? Nearly 38 mpg is excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Keef
Yep, nearly filled the trousers !

For first 4000 miles I tracked with brim to brim tank filling and Road Trip app.. was about 0.5% off on average .. so pretty accurate .

Good to know, I also used Road Trip! Getting the same twin scroll turbo V6 in a SQ5 in a couple of months. Will be 7/10’s slower to 62 than your S4 with the extra weight and 18 more CO2’s per km and of more relevance over 35 mpg will be challenging!

I also use road trip, I’m just approaching 7k miles and my average is 28.5 mpg in my S4 avant.
I was contemplating a change to an SQ5 and still might go that way in 12 months. Had an SQ5 for the weekend and was lucky to get 22 ish mpg but I wasnt been frugal.

Reactions: mxnrg
Good to know, I also used Road Trip! Getting the same twin scroll turbo V6 in a SQ5 in a couple of months. Will be 7/10’s slower to 62 than your S4 with the extra weight and 18 more CO2’s per km and of more relevance over 35 mpg will be challenging!

I have never seen more than 34mpg in mine no matter how sedately I drive....

I'm usually at 25-28 range, max

Reactions: zippster
I reckon on about 30 to 33mpg, mostly on mixed out-of-town roads including some quite hilly stretches. I'd be happy with better consumption figures - but was expecting worse, TBH.

Reactions: mxnrg
I reckon on about 30 to 33mpg, mostly on mixed out-of-town roads including some quite hilly stretches. I'd be happy with better consumption figures - but was expecting worse, TBH.

Agreed, I didn’t order a SQ5 for its fuel economy! I have a leaden right foot as I rarely got better than 30 mpg on my 2010 A5 Sportback S Line 2.0TFSI 211ps

Reactions: Inked
I’ve found that the s4 really shines in the mpg department when you’re on a long road trip. Was driving from Glasgow to Manchester and set cruise 85mph for most of the way and ended up 36.3 mpg.

On the way back due to road works on the m62 I managed 40.4mpg for the first 25 miles of the trip. First time I’ve had it over 40mpg!

Reactions: SRB93 and mxnrg
I’ve hit some very high numbers for fuel efficiency this week. Coasting with cruise control between 80kmh to 110kmh, I’ve seen 6.5 l/100km, that’s 43mpg!

With the long 8th gear on this car, I think it will be possible to see high 30's / maybe even low 40's on a cruise control run (so long as its kept under 80 mph)

Reactions: Daggerit
I'll also add that using the efficiency mode has consistently given me about 20% better economy. I've seen 39mpg in comfort mode before I realised how much better efficiency mode was, so I'd definitely think over 40 would be easy on a fairly flat section of motorway!

I'm yet to try efficiency mode, I assume its the same as BMW eco mode, where the throttle is numbed off and no turbo boost?

The throttle is numbed for sure, but if you press on it you'll definitely still get boost.

It's maybe not the best for around town (although it definitely makes a noticeable difference to mpg), but since you're not having to accelerate all the time on the dual carriageway / motorway, that's where it makes sense.

It’s much better than BMW eco-pro which cut so much throttle i found it bordering on dangerous!

817a74118ce06a3a154b62404fce8ac4.jpg

32mpg average from SQ5 over first 250 miles of mainly motorway cruising. All done in Comfort mode, better than I thought it would be...

Only done around 130 miles in mine with most of that in dynamic and booting it from time to time and my long term is showing 24 which I’m happy with on town journeys.

Long journeys look promising in this.