S4 mpg

Dmrqwq

Reaction score
A few of us now have our S4s out on the road now, given its relative newness there is little comparison available for true mpg on the popular sites so I thought it might be interesting to share our actuals.

At just over 350 miles on the clock my last full up of 45.7 litres for 193 miles gave me an average of 19.17mpg. Up from my first fill of 18.2mpg.

Mainly local trips with a few 20/30 mile A road & motorway hops. Mostly driven in efficiency as breaking in but occasionally spurts in dynamic.

What are my fellow S4 owners getting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Engine is still new so a little tight but that doesn't look to be great mpg, compared to the Supercharged 3.0 I would of thought a turbo engine would be better mpg.

A few of us now have our S4s out on the road now, given its relative newness there is little comparison available for true mpg on the popular sites so I thought it might be interesting to share our actuals.

At just over 350 miles on the clock my last full up of 45.7 litres for 193 miles gave me an average of 19.17mpg. Up from my first fill of 18.2mpg.

Mainly local trips with a few 20/30 mile A road & motorway hops. Mostly driven in efficiency as breaking in but occasionally spurts in dynamic.

What are my fellow S4 owners getting?

I'm typically getting 25-30mpg at 900 miles based on the computer. I need to do a fill up and check my mileage for a tank to see what I'm really getting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm typically getting 25-30mpg at 900 miles based on the computer. I need to do a fill up and check my mileage for a tank to see what I'm really getting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My computer shows a long term average of 18.4 so it's not far from computed to reality.

I'm getting about 33mpg between fill ups but I do a lot of A-road commuting where it does well over 40 on cruise. Around town it's abysmal as you spend a lot of time accelerating (I see it drop below 10mpg often when setting off) and idling at lights and queues.

Edit: I also turn off the Stop-Start function that seems overly keen to stop the engine at inappropriate times. I can't think that continually restarting the engine is a good idea either and is just an eco-friendly feature that has no real practical benefit that I can see.

Last edited:
I'm getting about 33mpg between fill ups but I do a lot of A-road commuting where it does well over 40 on cruise. Around town it's abysmal as you spend a lot of time accelerating (I see it drop below 10mpg often when setting off) and idling at lights and queues.

How many miles you got on the clock now? Saw about 45 instantaneous today on the Motorway today but took a while to settle to that and dropped to sub 20 on a gentle incline.

How many miles you got on the clock now? Saw about 45 instantaneous today on the Motorway today but took a while to settle to that and dropped to sub 20 on a gentle incline.

1,700 miles.

Also, there's a post on here somewhere about running an engine in which I mostly adhered too for the first 1000 miles or so and I didn't run it in economy mode either - except for a few miles to see what it felt like (dull).

Morning. First 500 miles were shocking haha. As expected though. About 18-23mpg.

2500 miles in, I'm on 30.6-9mpg long term with 415-30 mile range. Very impressed with it.

Reactions: Dave70 and gbrown
21.8 mpg average after 430 miles.... wasn't expecting more then that honestly, and it doesn't bother me as I didn't buy this car for it's fuel efficiency

Reactions: Brasso, Thundercliffe81 and Dave70
21.3 500 miles in. That's the downside of wanting to hear it fart.

Reactions: duckduck and Thundercliffe81
21.8 mpg average after 430 miles.... wasn't expecting more then that honestly, and it doesn't bother me as I didn't buy this car for it's fuel efficiency

Me neither, far too taken with the pace and the noise.

Interesting to see broadly aligned figures from most, means I've obviously got the level of "spanking it" right!

Reactions: Brasso and Thundercliffe81
I'm on 600 miles and around 20mpg long term. I sit in Eco mode on the way to work and see about 24mpg, but then on the way home I want to hear the noise in Dynamic, where it swiftly retreats to the teens.
Knew it'd be pretty poor on fuel, but wouldn't mind not having to fill up so much!

Reactions: duckduck
Sounds like economy is worse than the outgoing supercharged V6T! :D

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Sounds like economy is worse than the outgoing supercharged V6T! :D

It's really not haha. These are engine break in figures. As I said, I'm getting 36mpg short term and 30mpg long term with quick blasts here and there. Weekend drives bring it down obviously when I'm ummmmm...spirited with my right hoof

Reactions: Keef, Dave70 and duckduck
You might want to hold that statement until we see actual B9 RS4 figures lol.
Still very early days for all the above cars, sure they will improve with time (marginally)
If MPGs a concern then don't buy

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Daggerit
You might want to hold that statement until we see actual B9 RS4 figures lol.
Still very early days for all the above cars, sure they will improve with time (marginally)
If MPGs a concern then don't buy

I don't think any of us are concerned about MPG, just interested. You don't buy an S model if you've got a phobia of petrol pumps!

I was quite impressed to see 28.8 short term on a commute this morning however, it's clear, with 500 miles in, how the engine is loosening up. I expect to see low 30s once broken in.

Reactions: NoParticularPlaceToGo, Keef, Brasso and 1 other person
I meant the v8 rs4

I don't know how the economy is from the B7 to B8 RS4 V8's, but having done the same basic route with the B9 S4 (400 miles on the clock) and a B7 RS4, I can safely say the S4 is significantly more efficient in my experience. Somewhere in the region of 20 mpg vs 13 mpg when measured during fill up.

Reactions: Keef and Thundercliffe81
Yeah that economy sounds similar to what I had in my S5.

RS3 is along the same lines too.

As mentioned, mpg is not top of our list with these cars though is it :)

Considering the performance, they ain't bad figures !

Reactions: Dave70, Daggerit and Thundercliffe81
Having only done short journeys the mpg has been poor, but managed to stretch its legs over the past few days, now done 402 miles and getting 32.2

Reactions: duckduck, Thundercliffe81 and Keef
They sound about the same ball park as the B8 S4/5.Liverpool to Santapod i got 30MPG in my B8

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Keef
3rd fill up and MPG improving, slowly!
6848b5210f836ca13c9164e7d040d576.jpg

Reactions: xpoweruk
adding more miles can improve your average, although not your instant mpg

Well, my long term average is 30.5 mpg according to the trip computer (just shy of 2000 miles now). Computer seems to be a bit optimistic, as on the few occasions I've calculated it myself its been about 10% lower.

It's a welcome, but unexpected bonus, as car wasn't bought for fuel economy.

All these mpg quotes depend upon the driving conditions and the manner is which the car is driven, throwing out numbers I always feel are meaningless. You don't spend this kind of money on a car to save a couple of quid on a tank full. Still, these days it seems it's an obsession.
I stopped worrying about it ages ago, I know I can get very close to manufactures figures if I want, however fun it isn't, both for me and the cars behind me.

Reactions: Wakes, Dmrqwq, duckduck and 3 others
From experience with other new cars - MPG seems to continue to improve right up to 6-7k miles as the motor slackens off. My mpg was pretty shocking for the first 1000 miles, approx 23mpg. After resetting the counters and taking it for a 6 hour round trip yesterday (not hanging around at all) its saying 34mpg now :)

From experience with other new cars - MPG seems to continue to improve right up to 6-7k miles as the motor slackens off. My mpg was pretty shocking for the first 1000 miles, approx 23mpg. After resetting the counters and taking it for a 6 hour round trip yesterday (not hanging around at all) its saying 34mpg now :)
I found it was more likely a change in the driving conditions, or being used to the manner in which the car behaves to be the most likely factor. Mine, at over 8k is still at a similar figure it was when I first got it...

I found it was more likely a change in the driving conditions, or being used to the manner in which the car behaves to be the most likely factor. Mine, at over 8k is still at a similar figure it was when I first got it...

I’m much the same to be honest. Biggest change is that I use efficiency mode as much as possible now as I found it yields a genuine 10-20% extra mpg in almost all driving types.

All these mpg quotes depend upon the driving conditions and the manner is which the car is driven, throwing out numbers I always feel are meaningless. You don't spend this kind of money on a car to save a couple of quid on a tank full. Still, these days it seems it's an obsession.
I stopped worrying about it ages ago, I know I can get very close to manufactures figures if I want, however fun it isn't, both for me and the cars behind me.
Agreed. No idea why people buy a v6 turbo then fascinate over mpg. I'd poeitly suggest perhaps a diesel golf would be better suited for such a fixation.

Agreed. No idea why people buy a v6 turbo then fascinate over mpg. I'd poeitly suggest perhaps a diesel golf would be better suited for such a fixation.

I only worry because I do a decent number of miles commuting in mine so when I’m not driving for fun it’s nice to see decent mpg. Even in a V6T. :)

I only worry because I do a decent number of miles commuting in mine so when I’m not driving for fun it’s nice to see decent mpg. Even in a V6T. :)

That's logic that I can't compute I'm afraid. However for the sake of keeping the balance on the internet I'll accept the fact I'm stupid and ignorant in this instance.

Reactions: Jsmills and Daggerit