S4 Launch Control

pierreluigi88

Reaction score
This has been discussed in the Pictures sticky thread, but I didn't want to take that off-topic so I'm starting this post.

So far, we're not sure if the S4 has got launch control as the manual says "applies to vehicles with s-tronic gearbox", and no one has had the nerve to try it yet, and personally the thing is so fast I haven't yet felt the need!

Anyway ladies and gentlemen, I am going to be your test pilot this evening and I'll see if it works.

I have a question though, as I've never used launch control in any vehicle and I'm fairly new to automatic gearboxes: If you've got to put one foot on the brake, floor the accelerator and then let go of the brake (and presumably keep the accelerator floored), how will I know that it's working? Even without launch control surely it will do pretty much the same thing?

Is it about the revs that the engine can achieve while fighting the brake? Any input would be appreciated!

Reactions: Greg Goulding, Thundercliffe81 and Keef
Looking forward to the update later! I can't help as even though my current B8.5 S4 has launch, and my previous 3.0TDi had it, I'm ashamed to say I never tried it as I'm too scared of breaking the car.

Reactions: duckduck
Looking forward to the update later I'm sure it does as I've seen plenty of you tube vids that do it. Seems to hold the revs at like 3k I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and duckduck
Looking forward to the update later I'm sure it does as I've seen plenty of you tube vids that do it. Seems to hold the revs at like 3k I think

It does look like it - especially in that Autogefuhl video where he nearly stacks it into a parked car, hehe.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Nath.S4
It does look like it - especially in that Autogefuhl video where he nearly stacks it into a parked car, hehe.

Holds the revs about 3.5k I think. You can kind of achieve the same thing by just mashing the throttle but don't think the revs will build/hold as high and ESP needs to be set to sport. Which achieves a better launch. I'm pretty sure it works on the tiptronic. As you say, Thomas on Autogefuhl done it. On the initial launch of the S4 in Frankfurt. A misano red saloon.

I watched the one you're referring to haha. The Navarra blue Avant with the car parked on the bend?! Oh my days, that could have been awkward Can't wait to hear the outcome tonight. I simply haven't been in a situation or location where I could use it. Used it loads on my B8.5.

Reactions: pierreluigi88
Had launch control in my S3. Make sure you turn everything off. Foot on brake foot all the way down on throttle and then let go of the brake. Simples!

Yes but the point is, I think, as the gearbox in the s4 is a automatic gearbox, not a dsg, whether it hs launch control. The issue I see is that it has a torque converter and no clutches which means it probably allows the engine to brake torque against the gearbox to preload prior to a launch. Not like the stronic version and similar to this description http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...teresting-launch-control-observation-2894165/

Last edited:
Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Had SQ5 That launched and that had same 8 speed as my a4 3.0 272 and guess wot my a4 has launch and dose just the same.

Put it in dynamic/sport
Turn off traction
Hold foot hard down on brake left foot
Floor throttle
Revs will rise and settle 3000-35000
Let go of the brake within 5 sec

You won't brake nowt apart from you neck ............lol

Reactions: NickGun, Rob_F, syed123 and 2 others
Had SQ5 That launched and that had same 8 speed as my a4 3.0 272 and guess wot my a4 has launch and dose just the same.

Put it in dynamic/sport
Turn off traction
Floor throttle

Put it in dynamic/sport
Turn off traction
Floor throttle

But is that not brake torque, unlike launch control which releases the clutch http://www.audiworld.com/how-tos/a/audi-a3-how-to-perform-launch-control-421098

In the SQ5 manual it told you how to do this and called it launch control !

Interested to hear the results!!

Reactions: A4Ade
It's getting late I hope he hasn't launched it past mr plod

Reactions: pierreluigi88 and Thundercliffe81
No law against 0-30

There is if your recording it on your phone for your Audisport.net friends haha

Reactions: duckduck, Thundercliffe81 and pierreluigi88
It's getting late I hope he hasn't launched it past mr plod

I heard this was him....

Reactions: Nath.S4
Well I can confirm that the S4 has launch control :)

No plod and I didn't put it into a tree! Been out with friends since then so had a few drinks but had to check in with my findings, apologies if no makes sense...

Even with foot firmly on the brakes, you can feel it trying to move, it pushes you right back in the seat when you let go. The most noticeable thing is the gear changes which are noticeably hard, almost violent - in a really good way! I then just tried flooring it without launch control and it's not as full on.

This needs further experimenting, but the bottom line is we have launch in the S4.

I'm back off to my glass of wine!

Last edited:
Reactions: DJBuk, duckduck, TripleD and 2 others
829167e78229d965cdc90c6b9b719788.jpg

Reactions: Rob_F, scotty76, syed123 and 3 others
Well I can confirm that the S4 has launch control :)

No plod and I didn't put it into a tree! Been out with friends since then so had a few drinks but had to check in with my findings, apologies if no makes sense...

Even with foot firmly on the brakes, you can feel it trying to move, it pushes you right back in the seat when you let go. The most noticeable thing is the gear changes which are noticeably hard, almost violent - in a really good way! I then just tried flooring it without launch control and it's not as full on.

This needs further experimenting, but the bottom line is we have launch in the S4.

I'm back off to my glass of wine!

Thank you for your service to our cause

Reactions: duckduck, pierreluigi88 and Nath.S4
It will never be a proper launch in a tip. See if you have the counter in VCDS.

120c94efd6cb323b68c35fcdc2d4b389.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Good work sir!
Nice to know it has it, reminds me of the grand tour, maybe I'll try it at the Starbucks drive through :)

Reactions: pierreluigi88, Thundercliffe81, Greg Goulding and 1 other person
It will never be a proper launch in a tip. See if you have the counter in VCDS.

120c94efd6cb323b68c35fcdc2d4b389.jpg

I agree but don't think anyone would have the balls to say that to someone flying off the line in the RS6 The tip has surprised me tbh. Going from S-tronic, I can see the differences but it's very good. I keep seeing RS4s in Harrogate! Your car is sublime

Reactions: DeanoC
I agree but don't think anyone would have the balls to say that to someone flying off the line in the RS6 The tip has surprised me tbh. Going from S-tronic, I can see the differences but it's very good. I keep seeing RS4s in Harrogate! Your car is sublime

Thanks mate. Yes you're totally right. It's just a terminology thing. A launch is purposely slipping the clutch at a certain rpm that is around the limit of grip when it is dumped. That's why you can only hold it for 3 or 4 seconds because the clutch is not meant to slip.

Any 'launch' in a tip will mechanically be the same process as just flooring it but it may tweak maps and settings if it is in a certain configuration.

The ZF in the B9 is really nice. I had one when mine was in. Better around town than the stronic and not as far off as you would believe from reading online when in dynamic and attacking it. A big part of the change is not actually the speed of the shift but how the older gen ones tend to feel on up and down shifts with the heel toe-eak blips on downshifts and the timing retardation and fuel injection for the farts on the upshifts.

Thanks mate. Yes you're totally right. It's just a terminology thing. A launch is purposely slipping the clutch at a certain rpm that is around the limit of grip when it is dumped. That's why you can only hold it for 3 or 4 seconds because the clutch is not meant to slip.

Any 'launch' in a tip will mechanically be the same process as just flooring it but it may tweak maps and settings if it is in a certain configuration.

The ZF in the B9 is really nice. I had one when mine was in. Better around town than the stronic and not as far off as you would believe from reading online when in dynamic and attacking it. A big part of the change is not actually the speed of the shift but how the older gen ones tend to feel on up and down shifts with the heel toe-eak blips on downshifts and the timing retardation and fuel injection for the farts on the upshifts.

Yeah that's what I was fearful of. In manual, I genuinely couldn't tell the difference at first. Cannot wait to see this new RS4. But that's off topic. I'm going to Geneva next week so fingers crossed for it. I'll do a new thread on here then.

Anyway, glad we can 'launch' our S4

Reactions: duckduck and DeanoC
Reactions: Keef and Thundercliffe81
Today I had the excellent opportunity to really test if the launch works...

I had to pop home from work today, and near my office is a dual carriage way with traffic lights. Having just caught the red, I was soon joined by a grey 65 plate RS6 Avant.
It's a faster car (nearly double the power!), and after a knowing nod, I thought I'd try LC. Long story short, the S4 left the RS6!

I will add that the RS caught up after the initial first few gear changes. It goes without saying that this happened before reaching the speed limit for the road!

Reactions: syed123, pierreluigi88, Thundercliffe81 and 6 others
Not at all. The maximum torque multiplication occurs at the point of stall. Compared to launch control simply flooring it from idle will provide far less torque multiplication.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, DeanoC and Thundercliffe81
Today I had the excellent opportunity to really test if the launch works...

I had to pop home from work today, and near my office is a dual carriage way with traffic lights. Having just caught the red, I was soon joined by a grey 65 plate RS6 Avant.
It's a faster car (nearly double the power!), and after a knowing nod, I thought I'd try LC. Long story short, the S4 left the RS6!

I will add that the RS caught up after the initial first few gear changes. It goes without saying that this happened before reaching the speed limit for the road!

Launch is launch. Always gonna get the jump on most nodding dogs. He probably didn't expect it. I'm ****** envious though. That never happens to me haha. Although I did destroy a V10 R8 Gen 1 last year in my B8.5 S4. Plucky cars these bad boys.

Reactions: syed123 and Bristle Hound
Launch is launch. Always gonna get the jump on most nodding dogs. He probably didn't expect it. I'm ****** envious though. That never happens to me haha. Although I did destroy a V10 R8 Gen 1 last year in my B8.5 S4. Plucky cars these bad boys.

I doubt he expected me to shoot off like I did, but he wasn't far behind, so he was expecting something at least!

It was a one chance situation, so I took it. S4 is properly aggressive when it wants to be, although did look a little wimpy next to a full fat RS6!

Reactions: syed123 and Brasso