S4 is 'not targeted at the family market'

AndrewRichmond

Reaction score
An interesting story of how I tried (and failed) to buy an S4 cab to supplement my S4 Avant:

On the S4 Avant I have the option to disable the passenger airbag which comes with ISOFIX bars on the front passenger seat to supplement the ISOFIX bars in the back.

Obviously if I am travelling alone with a child in a convertible with the roof down then it makes sense to put the child seat in the front. Indeed the A4 cab allows this with standard fit airbag deactivation and front ISOFIX. The brochure states that the S4 cab has this also but just as I was about to place my deposit over the phone I asked the dealer to check and...guess what...not there!

Anyway, the brochure apparently contains a mistake and whilst regular A4 cabs have this as standard, the S4 does not and, unlike on the Avant and Saloon, it cannot be specified as an option.

Anyway, two letters from Audi UK Customer services tell me that '...the Audi S and RS range are not targeted at the family market...'. So there you have it, to me one of the best attractions of a four wheel drive spacious performance car is that it suits families but Audi don't agree! When will they ever learn?

They are losing an additional sale to me for the sake of a £50 kit, are losing my goodwill to the brand (I had a B5 S4 Avant before hand) and insulting my reasons for liking S series Audi's. If I did'nt wanted a 'family' convertible then I would buy an SL or 911 and not an S4 convertible!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Crazy. Even if it is not targeted at the family market, why exclude themselves from extra sales.

I lent my S4 saloon to my sister a couple of weeks ago. She is looking for a cab and said that the airbag deactivation might sway her towards an S4.

Not any more, it won't.

My CLK cab has airbag deact with the Merc child seats but no ISOFIX in the front. Has ISOFIX in the back though - I got my local dealer to retro it but you can get the same kit fitted at the factory.

Yep Audi appear to be making a mess of things, just sold my S-Line after having a 2003 avant sport. The S-line didnt have child locking seat belts in the rear, among other problems.