S4 Handling

Austineer

King of cabs ;)
Reaction score
Guys,

After recently taking a E46 M3 out for a test drive I was wondering the handling is like on the S4. I am still waiting for one to come up a little closer to me so that I can take it for a test drive, but they are alot rarer than the BMW so will have to wait. However I have a few questions I have got if any of you S4 owners would care to provide some answers to:-

a) Have any of you driven a E46 M3? And what did you think of the differences in handling?

b) How does the B6 S4 compare to the B5 S4?

c) Is the steering overservo'ed like many of the other audi's? i.e. S3 & other A4 varients.

d) What type of feedback does the S4 give the driver? Is is just turn the wheel and forget? Or do you have to earn some of your corners?

e) Is the S4 prone to understeer? If so are there any good mods to improve things i.e. ARB's, Springs, Shocks etc

f) What is the limiting factor when really giving it some stick on the twisties? Brakes? Suspension?

I really do want the S4 to turn out to be a little more fun than the reports suggest to everyone has driven both the M3 & S4 as I would prefer to get the Audi. However my heart is just saying to get the M3 as it is just a fantastic adernalin rush to drive the thing, plus I hate to say, it does look much better.

I am kind of hoping that the main element of the adrenalin rush come from the raw power and speed steping up to a 343 bhp motor not just the handling. As a family man with a daughter I really want the have the 4 door practical car with the safety of Quattro in the wet. But the dark side is calling me over of which the fact that the M3's are older doesnt help things as they are cheaper also. So a few comments on this would be appreciated. BTW are there any S4 owners in south wales?

a) Suspension on 19" wheels too hard for me on the BMW but handled great (it was dry though);
b) B6 is much better than the B5 (my B5 used to scare me);
c) Yes at low speeds but fine at high speeds. I sold my Impreza WRX to buy a 2nd B6 S4 as the the 'rally car' had such fast turn in that I was always re-carving corners;
d) Little - slower conrnering than my 987S Boxster in the dry, much faster in the wet;
e) Lots of it but easy to live with it - slow in, fast out;
f) Brakes very strong (WRX was crap), corners flat so the answer is understeer.

Overall, much easier to drive fast than the M3 with very, very strong mid-range. The best bet is an M3 for the summer and an S4 for the winter. If £ doesn't permit then....S4. Enjoy

[ QUOTE ]
Guys,

After recently taking a E46 M3 out for a test drive I was wondering the handling is like on the S4. I am still waiting for one to come up a little closer to me so that I can take it for a test drive, but they are alot rarer than the BMW so will have to wait. However I have a few questions I have got if any of you S4 owners would care to provide some answers to:-

a) Have any of you driven a E46 M3? And what did you think of the differences in handling?
<font color="red"> S4 feels more sure footed, M3 a straight line point and squirt car, S4 for straightening out corners and getting there quicker and safer without working up a sweat. Also more rewarding on long journeys where roads aren't always involving </font>

b) How does the B6 S4 compare to the B5 S4?
<font color="red"> Depends on whether you like turbo power or N/A, latter IMO and handling and steering response is improved
</font>

c) Is the steering overservo'ed like many of the other audi's? i.e. S3 & other A4 varients.
<font color="red"> Ditto to Andrew, at speed it falls into line and is as communicative </font>

d) What type of feedback does the S4 give the driver? Is is just turn the wheel and forget? Or do you have to earn some of your corners?
<font color="red"> Can be a little nose heavy, but then you alter your driving style. Grip through corners however is out of this world and car is easy to collect when you do eventually reach the envelope, but you have to be fairly insane to do that.
</font>

e) Is the S4 prone to understeer? If so are there any good mods to improve things i.e. ARB's, Springs, Shocks etc
<font color="red"> If you push it power understeer but not as much as everyone suggests. As a comparison you could go in to a corner in an S4 over M3 10-15mph faster and only a touch of understeer corrected by throttle feathering
</font>

f) What is the limiting factor when really giving it some stick on the twisties? Brakes? Suspension?
<font color="red"> Brakes are excellent and only fade with severe punishment, e.g 90-100+ down to 20 several times in a few minutes. Suspension good as well, still only criticism is S4 nose heavy but I'm not bothered about that any more as you learn to adapt.
</font>

<font color="red"> All in all yes M3 is quicker in a straight line but S4 is a better all round car for all occasions and not common to drug dealers, wannabe premiership footballers and rich kids who never use their cars properly anyway. S4... you know it makes sense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif
</font>

I really do want the S4 to turn out to be a little more fun than the reports suggest to everyone has driven both the M3 & S4 as I would prefer to get the Audi. However my heart is just saying to get the M3 as it is just a fantastic adernalin rush to drive the thing, plus I hate to say, it does look much better.

I am kind of hoping that the main element of the adrenalin rush come from the raw power and speed steping up to a 343 bhp motor not just the handling. As a family man with a daughter I really want the have the 4 door practical car with the safety of Quattro in the wet. But the dark side is calling me over of which the fact that the M3's are older doesnt help things as they are cheaper also. So a few comments on this would be appreciated. BTW are there any S4 owners in south wales?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just think that the B5 RS4 is a very old car now but is still v expensive. Two year old S4 or five year old RS4 for the same money? Easy choice for me as I find the B6 S4 plenty fast enough.

IMHO the estate is the best choice. Lots of room and most people hav'nt got a clue what just flew past.

Sinclairs have about 4 S4's on at the moment (Bridgend, Swansea, Neyland)
IMO its a better all round car than the M3 (I have 2 friends that have M3's) and apparently quicker around the track than the M3 according to top gear,,,,

I don't own an S4 but I do drive one a couple times a week as my brother has one (B6) and he absolutely loves it! I recently drove an M3 and found that yes, it was quicker through the straight but if you're thinking about taking corners quickly the S4 is the car for you. BMW cars also have that more "sporty" feeling to them but if you're looking for luxury, safety AND speed then the S4 is your choice!

In comparing the B5 to the B6, the B6 is all around a better car (suspension, speed, safety, etc.), better looking too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif