S4 handling Vs s3 8l handling

Goubo1

Reaction score
Hi guys,I have been thinking on a b6 s4 and was wondering how the handling would compair to my s3 8l with standard suspension ? also how would a s4 compair to a s3 8p remapped ?

Can't say I have driven a 8L S3, but I would imagine they would be pretty different to drive, what with the S4 having permanent 4wd, rather than using the Haldex system, and being a bigger car with it.

Also, a NA car drives completely different to a boosted car.

Personally, I love the driving characteristics of my S4, it handles well, and feels proper solid. It is very quick too, with no turbo lag obviously. However, it will probably feel slower than a mapped 8P S3, since its a bigger car, permanent 4wd, and boosted cars do tend to feel faster anyway, regardless of whether they actually are or not.

You certainly wont likely be disappointed with either car if thats your choices, but they are vastly different choices, and at different price brackets too. Only you will be able to tell which you prefer, so you should try test driving both, and see what fits your driving style better.

Can't say I have driven a 8L S3, but I would imagine they would be pretty different to drive, what with the S4 having permanent 4wd, rather than using the Haldex system, and being a bigger car with it.

Also, a NA car drives completely different to a boosted car.

Personally, I love the driving characteristics of my S4, it handles well, and feels proper solid. It is very quick too, with no turbo lag obviously. However, it will probably feel slower than a mapped 8P S3, since its a bigger car, permanent 4wd, and boosted cars do tend to feel faster anyway, regardless of whether they actually are or not.

You certainly wont likely be disappointed with either car if thats your choices, but they are vastly different choices, and at different price brackets too. Only you will be able to tell which you prefer, so you should try test driving both, and see what fits your driving style better.

My 8l s3 is a joy to drive because it handles like a dream but soon I will be after a bigger car with 5 doors for practicality but the performance and handling for a Sunday morning hoon around the b roads so the s4 sprung to mind.i don't like the shape of the 8p s3 so I ain't going for one of them.how would the s4 stack up to a 8p s3 remapped in a straight line ?

No real idea to be honest. Pretty close I would imagine though. Assuming conditions were dry, the S3 would engage 2wd as soon as it had reasonable traction. A stage 1 remap on a 8P is what? Around 305 BHP? The standard S4 is 344 BHP, but presumably a heavier car. So I would imagine there would be little in it.

I would assume your pretty far away, but if not your welcome to come for a drive in my S4 to see.

Hi guys,I have been thinking on a b6 s4 and was wondering how the handling would compair to my s3 8l with standard suspension ?
I went from a chipped 8L S3 (265bhp) to a B6 S4 Avant.

The handling wasn't greatly different IMHO, the S4 suspension is surprisingly hard and the roll is pretty similar to the 8L S3. Having said that the extra size of the S4 did make going fast down small country lanes more intimidating, but I did usually arrive at my destinations earlier once I got the S4.

No real idea to be honest. Pretty close I would imagine though. Assuming conditions were dry, the S3 would engage 2wd as soon as it had reasonable traction. A stage 1 remap on a 8P is what? Around 305 BHP? The standard S4 is 344 BHP, but presumably a heavier car. So I would imagine there would be little in it.
I would assume your pretty far away, but if not your welcome to come for a drive in my S4 to see.

I am in Ayrshire,my mate has a 8p s3 remapped so I don't want to be down on straight line speed.plus it's the noise of that v8 and milltek exhaust I want :)

I went from a chipped 8L S3 (265bhp) to a B6 S4 Avant.

The handling wasn't greatly different IMHO, the S4 suspension is surprisingly hard and the roll is pretty similar to the 8L S3. Having said that the extra size of the S4 did make going fast down small country lanes more intimidating, but I did usually arrive at my destinations earlier once I got the S4.
If the handling is near the same then I would be happy,I know exactly what you mean about the country lanes lol

Ayrshire aint so far away really, I'm up in Angus though, and my S4 is for sale in the classifieds if your wanting a look at it ;)

Ayrshire aint so far away really, I'm up in Angus though, and my S4 is for sale in the classifieds if your wanting a look at it ;)

Yeah I have had a look nice car mate,will hopefully be mid to late July I will be buying

I had a remapped 8L S3 and went to an S4 b6. Personally I've found the s4 a better car in handling terms, it seems to sit more steady and flat in the corners despite the extra weight -I was never that impressed with the S3's after coming from a phase 1 RS Clio 172.

Straight line, I'd say there is little in it up to 40-50 after a standing start, however the 1.8T seems a little lifeless after that when compared to the v8. The urge to gain speed when in 3rd and above (50-90) beats the the s3 hands down, however due to size and the well built nature of the s4 you don't ever feel the swiftness of the acceleration as you do in a smaller car -but trust me it's there, unfortunately without the thrill. -The power delivery is incredibly linear with no real kick across the band like a V-TEC system or turbo whoosh.

A lot of reviews comment on the s4's muted v8 gurgle, it's there enough to enjoy but not intrusive in the cabin and not loud enough to make people look at you and say W@^ker.

Yeah I have had a look nice car mate,will hopefully be mid to late July I will be buying

ping me a message around then. a new house and a wife reluctant to return to work after maternity leave may force my hand around then!

ping me a message around then. a new house and a wife reluctant to return to work after maternity leave may force my hand around then!

Thanks for the reply mate,well I should be happy with the handling then :),I ain't to botherd about the feel of the acceleration and such just as long as its there as I like a b road grand prix as much as anyone :)

I will ping you a message near the time mate

I would suspect not that different on average. Although I never had a mapped 8L, I did have a stage 2 AGU, and was averaging around 27-28 mpg. I would expect the S3 to be a little worse? Maybe 26-28 on average? My S3 averaged 23 mpg when I had it.

The main difference will be when you are taking it canny though. I'm sure if you drove miss daisy about you should break 30 mpg in an S3. My best, over 50 miles of A roads was 28. But that was quite a hilly road. Then again, I never tried to see how good a consumption I could get in the S4. That wasn't what it was bought for.

Yes mate a very clean car :) can't really afford till July and got to tax and get tyres for the s3 for mot

What are the s4 like for mpg compared to the 8l mapped.
My mapped 8L S3 averaged around 23mpg, but if I drove it like a saint I could get 28mpg.

My B6 S4 averaged about only 20mpg, but if I drove it like a saint I could only get it to 23mpg - but my drive was either in commuter queues or country blasts.

My current B7 RS4 averages about 21mpg, but if I drive it like a saint I can get it to 26mpg - same type of commute, shows that FSI does work.