S4 grille into s-line valance

Reaction score
I know this has been done plenty of times but i'm bggered if I can find a thread. I have my S4 grille and want to fit it into my s-line valance. the grille is slightly too large (its "fatter" at the bottom edges than the s-line grille) so I have the option of finding an s-line grille surround and cutting the mesh part of the S4 grille to fit in... or cutting the valance slightly to make the grille fit. I'm more inclined to go for option B but I could do with pictures of someone else doing it first to make sure I don't take too much off.
Does anyone have a link or photos?
cheers
nj

Why not just buy an s4 front bumper then your grill will fit

Is this for a B7 or B6? If its B7 it should straight swap. Assuming by your sig its probably B6?

Gordy - I was going to (actually I bought one but then sold it on) but I'd have the option of painting in the UK and risking a slight mismatch.. or having it painted in Finland paying crazy money. In either case I don't want to spend that much when I've just bought a 1990 2.3 20v coupe quattro as a play thing and had to put a bit of money into it.

Av4nt - Yeah it's a B6 so it requires a bit of modding, which I'm happy to do but it's always good to learn from someone else's mistakes first :)

Hi Fourcircle,

To be honest this looks like a super fiddly job. Not sure if it can be done by the way the grills are designed. I took all 4 front grills on my B6 cab, as I wanted to DIY an RS style mesh, but it doesn't look like the OEM S line or S4 grill can be cut to fit etc.

Im not sure if anyone has ever done this on a B6.

Different story on the B7 i believe.

I trimmed my S4 grill to fit my original Sline bumper,
Main reason for going this way was I will put the car back to standard upon sale/px/ scrappy and sell on all my mods ( if there's any B6's left by then):D

I trimmed my S4 grill to fit my original Sline bumper,
Main reason for going this way was I will put the car back to standard upon sale/px/ scrappy and sell on all my mods ( if there's any B6's left by then):D

That's actually a good idea. Surprised it could be done.:audibash:
Any photos lying around?

Thanks. It looks a lot better than I expected!

I wouldn't have Donne it if it was going to look crap!
The surround needs a repaint but this was one of the early mods so it's long overdue.

True, but you never know how its going to come out until its all finished and back on the car. You then need to take a step back and either admire or clutch your head in hands! haha.

good stuff mate. exactly what I was looking for. So did you trim the back part of the surround? erm.. how do I explain this.. I'm assuming you left the part of the surround that is visible from the front and trimmed off parts of the surround that are meant to fit into the space in the valance? so the lower left and right corners of the surround sit flat on top of the valance?

I think I might just have to start dremeling a bit at a time and if I don't make a complete b0ll0cks of it I'll take a few photos to post here :)

:D
good stuff mate. exactly what I was looking for. So did you trim the back part of the surround? erm.. how do I explain this.. I'm assuming you left the part of the surround that is visible from the front and trimmed off parts of the surround that are meant to fit into the space in the valance? so the lower left and right corners of the surround sit flat on top of the valance?

I think I might just have to start dremeling a bit at a time and if I don't make a complete b0ll0cks of it I'll take a few photos to post here :)

No no your making it harder than it needs to be:D , I didn't trim anything off the original surround so my original sline grill will still fit in the surround.
All I did was remove the sline inner from the surround, lay the S4 inner on top of the sline inner and marked round it as best I could with masking tape then trimmed and kept trimming untill it fitted, I think I may have had to use a couple of small came ties to secure it but nothing noticeable, I try not to cut or trim any of my original parts for my mods so I can put all back to standard.
I will be removing the grill in the near future to repaint the surround so can photo what I have done if required.

Last edited: