S4 fuel consumption

Ianbts

Reaction score
I've owned my S4 B8 Stronic for a few weeks now and am very pleased with it, but I'm slightly confused by the fuel consumption.

My same journey to work seems to vary quite a lot, from an average of 20 to 28 mpg. Driving style doesn't seem to be the main factor, in fact spirited driving might be producing slightly better results?

Obviously I didn't buy the car for it's economy so it's not an issue, I'm just not understanding the variation.

20-28 seems pretty good to me, mines doing about 16, unless im on the motorway cruising..

Reactions: Ianbts
I agree 20-28 is pretty good, I'm finding the variation on the same journey slightly run strange.
And I'm starting to think accelerating a little harder and driving faster might be more economical.
I'm not worried about the fuel consumption, just interested to understand it.

I'm at 15.2mpg at the moment just need to go with the flow :)

Reactions: Ianbts and xpoweruk
20-28 sounds about spot on to me.

Reactions: Ianbts
It could be - if your journey is relatively short then the MPG might be quite sensitive to this. If I start the car and let it idle while I scrape the windows it makes quite a dent on the MPG if its a short journey for example as well as being overall lower when its cold. On longer journeys this is averaged out more so not so noticeable.

My journey to work is always lower than the return journey home...

I have put it down to the fact when I leave heading to work, the first 2mins of the journey is up hill, whereas on the way home the first 2mins is flat. If I reset the mpg computer after the hill climb it matches the return journeys average.

It's as if the computer can't recover a real average due to the low mpg at the beginning. May be totally wrong but that's how it seems

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Since going from Stage 1+ back to standard I've seen my fuel consumption improve. Now it's averaging around 23mpg on the commute compared to 19 previsously, and around 27mpg now compared to around 23mpg on a steady run of say 80mph.
I miss the power (sometimes) of the Stage 1+ , but it's still a pretty quick car as standard, so at least the MPG increase is a small plus point.

I've owned my S4 B8 Stronic for a few weeks now and am very pleased with it, but I'm slightly confused by the fuel consumption.

My same journey to work seems to vary quite a lot, from an average of 20 to 28 mpg. Driving style doesn't seem to be the main factor, in fact spirited driving might be producing slightly better results?

Obviously I didn't buy the car for it's economy so it's not an issue, I'm just not understanding the variation.
@Ianbts - More on this topic here :thumbs up:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...age-mpg-figures-according-to-your-dis.242304/

Reactions: Chop. and Ianbts