1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S4 flywheel going, solid or dual mass??

S44influence Jul 28, 2018

1. S44influence

S44influence New Member

Evening to everyone

Been searching for advice on changing my flywheel on me b6 S4 but can't find alot.
    What's the advantages and disadvantages of a solid flywheel on a S4?
    Are the kits easy to get as I can't find one?

Also I would like to do it myself but never done a 4wheel drive before so was wondering if any one could give some advice

Cheers

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. joinerman

joinerman Well-Known Member

People on here have gone to solid fly wheels & regretted it, do a search

S44influence likes this.
  4. S44influence

S44influence New Member

I have seen some dont mind it some do
    And tbh most threads I've seen are just for A4 and not S4

5. boffin486

boffin486 Well-Known Member

I believe the dual mass flywheel is employed for its 'roughness dampening' qualities (particularly on diesel engines) to give a smoother less obtrusive idle & dampen noise transfer along with smoother clutch operation. Having a Passat with same identical engine/gearbox (but Solid flywheel) to my B5, The difference is very noticeable, the VW just feeling less refined & indeed noisier overall.

S44influence likes this.
  6. DieselJake

DieselJake Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

If in doubt go dual I'd say but I'm biased as that's what I did :playful: I've known someone to have a car/gearbox killed by going solid... could have just been incorrect installation but from people complaining about the noise and if your not going for more power I'd stick with dual, I know people also say solid doesn't need replacing but I mean the car will be good for about another 100k miles and that's if it lives that long.

S44influence likes this.
  7. S44influence

S44influence New Member

I am thinking of sticking to dual mass now tbh as I might sell the car next year so think I would be a better selling point

Just need to see if I can get any info from anyone about doing it myself
    Rather try and save £500 if I can lol