S4 exhaust valve

JM-S4

Reaction score
my understanding is they open at low rpm and close at higher rpm.

Mine don't move at all, is this likely to cause any problems?

They are supposed to be closed at low and open at high.......but people disconnect them and manually open the valves so they is a slightly deeper exhaust note at lower rpm

And, so I've read, on the cabriolet they don't have them at all. So yeah, just keep them open lol

Who needs exhaust valves anyway when you have a V8 under the bonnet?! :p

Just kidding..i know some of us like to live on the safe side ;-)

I have made a dual 3" exhaust for my s4, it's very loud even with the original back boxes in ! I don't think one could live with a loud, straight trough exhaust on the v8 engines...

I remember you mentioning this. Hopefully making the trip to your garage to hear this beast. Not sure if i can ever get bored of the 4.2 V8.
Even straight through :)

It's well insulated so driving it on a run is fine- i would not live with a loud exhaust on a daily basis- this is no vauxhall nova with a cherry bomb but it's very loud on slow, full throttle run !

Haha true. I guess I wont know until ive had one. Thing is, i usually play music which would hopefully muffle this noise if it got to me.

However the V8 is sweet music to my ears..

You do get used to an exhaust, but tbh, I like not having it really loud. When I bought my car, and drove home on m25, I didn't actually know that you could hear music on motorways lol. Subaru just droned all the way. But the Subaru is supposed to be loud lol. Which is why I want either an exhaust with valves, or a resonated, not too loud zorst

Reactions: DrStrange
Mine is nice on the motorway, absolutely no drone whatsoever ! Also my stereo is in safe mode, misplaced the code so no music for me for a year or so ! I can build you a nice performance exhaust and still retain your valved boxes with a choice of tips, however I don't have much time lately !

Mine is nice on the motorway, absolutely no drone whatsoever ! Also my stereo is in safe mode, misplaced the code so no music for me for a year or so ! I can build you a nice performance exhaust and still retain your valved boxes with a choice of tips, however I don't have much time lately !

The cabriolet didn't come with butterfly valves in the rear box. When I mention valves I want like a valvetronic system, out like what the Audi R8 has. The valves on a button. Quiet when I want, loud when I want. I also want s4 b7 quad tips, eventually, when I get my money sorted

Probably best to get the motors from a R8 then And we ca-n Look if they can be retrofitted to the stock back
Boxes ! To be honest the way they are built is quite nice as they quiet on low revs and loud on high revs- no point IMHO to have them loud without revving the engine ! No problem, whatever you want can be done...

Reactions: rjm180, DrStrange and mattmanwrx
The cabriolet didn't come with butterfly valves in the rear box. When I mention valves I want like a valvetronic system, out like what the Audi R8 has. The valves on a button. Quiet when I want, loud when I want. I also want s4 b7 quad tips, eventually, when I get my money sorted

Yep, love the idea of this. Stupidly expensive though :-(

Armytrix seem to be the leaders of Electronic valve technology.

do the valves only activate under load as I got someone to rev the engine earlier and they didn't do anything.

On my last car the exhaust valve opened about 3/4k rpm

do the valves only activate under load as I got someone to rev the engine earlier and they didn't do anything.

Depends on technology and car manufacturer. The A45 amg opens up past a certain RPM automatically whilst and ArmyTrix after market exhaust for example has an 'open valve' button at any RPM.

Reactions: rjm180
I'm ordering a Milltek catback non res from roadrunner, should hopefully give me what I'm after.

My mate bought a non res Miltek for his RS4 and it was too loud in the car, so he sold it on..........it seriously gave us a headache LOL

Yeah I was looking at miltek and would have got a resonated one. Each to their own. You can change out the non res for res pipes though, and miltek sell them separately.

Not sure I could EVER get bored of the v8 purr. Saying that, ive never had one before.

JM-S4, just for reference, Adamss24 on here is a Master Audi Tech and welder. He'll build you a custom exhaust!

In my humble opinion, thats a better solution as he has an S4 AND is based in London (ish) if you are

Just seen these posts and I'd already ordered it this morning.

Suppose if it's a bit much I can put the res pipes in as mentioned.

Can't wait to be honest, the standard system sounds crap.

Reactions: mattmanwrx
Just seen these posts and I'd already ordered it this morning.

Suppose if it's a bit much I can put the res pipes in as mentioned.

Can't wait to be honest, the standard system sounds ****.

The standard system just doesn't sound like a v8. Need a roar. I'm still undecided. Let us know how it sounds when it goes on, and if it is too loud.

Funny that, because it goes from a non existent V8 to an ABSOLUTE howler potentially.

Case in point..go to Youtube, type in;

'S4 B6 sound of thunder'

Complete and utter eargasm..

The standard system just doesn't sound like a v8. Need a roar. I'm still undecided. Let us know how it sounds when it goes on, and if it is too loud.

Exactly, sounds really muted. Also can't believe how they crush the pipes to the back boxes, not what you'd expect to see.

My S4 with an un-resonated cat back system. It's a powerflow system and has a crossover pipe. It sounds awesome but when you back off and cruise at 70-80mph it's nice and quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rjm180, JM-S4 and DrStrange
Lovely exhaust note Greeny.

I think this would suit the OP very well!

Reactions: Greeny233 and JM-S4
Yeah that sounds great!

Reactions: Greeny233
Milltek fitted, very pleased with it. Sounds even better under load!

Reactions: Greeny233
if you want to unlock the true potential of these
look at doing piggy pipes and getting rid of the pre cats .... this mod opens up the true potential of these engines

Does getting rid of pre cats etc as you say means you still pass the mot?

Im sure dualmono21 wll tell you, but believe so :)

Indeed, agree with dualmono21..also as said by JHM tuners.

Reactions: rjm180
A days work. It's a bitch tbh but worth it.

Reactions: JM-S4
Might just install new DP's

as hooblah says
its a pain in the ***
easier wit the manual gearbox as opposed to the auto as theres a bit more room

yes it will still pass an mot ' but you have to have the car remapped 'if you dont you will be running round with the mil engine light on constantly

if you remove the standard downpipe and gut the inside 'spend a little time smoothing things off inside it makes a big differance to how the car performs the engine no longer feels restrained and when you stamp on the accelerator there is no longer a momentary pause its instantaneously revs
theres not really a lot of room up there so the aftermarket ones tend only to be the same size tubing as the std ones
jhm do a pair of tuned headers where the downtube length has been altered and matched to the engine
i do believe theres a company in scotland that were making these as well
both these were about the best you could get for those engines

Reactions: rjm180, DrStrange and JM-S4