S4 Downpipe options

Boosted_Six

Reaction score
http://millteksport.com/exhaust.products.cfm?variantid=1554

For the B9 S4 / S5 it looks like Milltek have three options:

• Cat bypass / Test pipe
  • Milltek downpipe using 200 cell HJS core
  • HJS EC Approved 200 cell downpipe
Its obvious the cat bypass is illegal for use on the road so I will skip to the other two. The question is... Is the Milltek 200 cell cat still UK road legal if it isn't EC approved? Will it trigger a C.E.L? Will it invalidate insurance even if declared, as it's a non compliant part of the emissions system?

If the answer to any of the previous questions is yes, what is the point of it even being developed and sold, as the only sensible option is to buy the HJS EC approved version for driving on the street? I'm confused as both the Milltek own brand and HJS item seem to be using the same 200 cell core, one has some heat insulation and the other not. So is the 600 quid difference purely down to the HJS own brand one having undergone the rigor of approval?

Reactions: Daggerit
http://millteksport.com/exhaust.products.cfm?variantid=1554

For the B9 S4 / S5 it looks like Milltek have three options:

• Cat bypass / Test pipe
  • Milltek downpipe using 200 cell HJS core
  • HJS EC Approved 200 cell downpipe
Its obvious the cat bypass is illegal for use on the road so I will skip to the other two. The question is... Is the Milltek 200 cell cat still UK road legal if it isn't EC approved? Will it trigger a C.E.L? Will it invalidate insurance even if declared, as it's a non compliant part of the emissions system?

If the answer to any of the previous questions is yes, what is the point of it even being developed and sold, as the only sensible option is to buy the HJS EC approved version for driving on the street? I'm confused as both the Milltek own brand and HJS item seem to be using the same 200 cell core, one has some heat insulation and the other not. So is the 600 quid difference purely down to the HJS own brand one having undergone the rigor of approval?

I don’t know the technicalities in terms of the law regarding it to be honest. I’d imagine so long as it can pass it’s MOT then I imagine it would be considered legal?

In terms of price, how much is the HJS one? If it’s more than the Milltek then you’re talking £1,500+ surely? That’s a lot for a downpipe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've emailed both the UK disti and the US disti for comment. The UK is completely non committal on CEL for either item, but says both with pass emissions testing.

The US chap says hes been running the Milltek item on his personal B9 S4 for 8-9 months with no CEL.

The Milltek branded item is 1200 - 1400 pounds and the HJS one is 2000 - 2200!

Holy ****!

Sorry mate, can not resist.
The HJS, is that English pounds or Scottish pounds? :wink new:
http://www.hjs-motorsport.de/products/tuning/ece-downpipes.html
With that cost, no surprise one of their 'partners' is ABT!
A European outlet does have them for Euro 2088 = GBP 1840.

Closer to the Highland budget:-
http://www.all-stars-motorsport.com...cts-turbo-decat-downpipe-cts-exh-tp-0009.html
"FREE SHIPPING TO EUROPE OVER 250€" - so, are you people 'in' or 'out', at this point in time?

Sorry mate, can not resist.
The HJS, is that English pounds or Scottish pounds? :wink new:
http://www.hjs-motorsport.de/products/tuning/ece-downpipes.html
With that cost, no surprise one of their 'partners' is ABT!
A European outlet does have them for Euro 2088 = GBP 1840.

Closer to the Highland budget:-
http://www.all-stars-motorsport.com...cts-turbo-decat-downpipe-cts-exh-tp-0009.html
"FREE SHIPPING TO EUROPE OVER 250€" - so, are you people 'in' or 'out', at this point in time?

Didn’t realise that CTS had an option but I wouldn’t want to go decat because the CEL would **** me off...

I’ll maybe just save for the Milltek 200 cell version.

The Chap in the US saw a 10th of a second drop from the 0-60 time with a catback, once he added the 200cell downpipe, he dropped another 0.4 of a second. Thats got to be close to 3/4 of a second off the quarter mile from a downpipe alone, no tuning!

Quick update: bought the Miltek 200 Cell non EC item. This choice was based on the logic that its a OEM quality HJS core and anecdotal evidence that this doesn't trigger a CEL. Will find out soon enough...

Reactions: A12RNX and Daggerit
Quick update: bought the Miltek 200 Cell non EC item. This choice was based on the logic that its a OEM quality HJS core and anecdotal evidence that this doesn't trigger a CEL. Will find out soon enough...
Any update on the DP? Tempted to get it as a Christmas present to myself!

1650 miles sans CEL

Looking good so far...

Best the ******* triggers when I least expect it now.

Reactions: A12RNX
Hi, I had a Miltek cat back fitted to my S4 B9 last year. The guys that fitted it told me they wouldn't advise putting the Miltek Sports Cat and down pipe on as it can throw up fault codes so the engine needs a remap at the same time. Is this true or a lot of cods whallop?
Thanks.

Hi, I had a Miltek cat back fitted to my S4 B9 last year. The guys that fitted it told me they wouldn't advise putting the Miltek Sports Cat and down pipe on as it can throw up fault codes so the engine needs a remap at the same time. Is this true or a lot of cods whallop?
Thanks.

Well since there’s no remap it would make that part pretty difficult... Haha.

Reactions: Kondax
Well since there’s no remap it would make that part pretty difficult... Haha.

Yep That's true. I did a ring round last week still no joy on anyone releasing one soon. Anyone heard anything?

Yep That's true. I did a ring round last week still no joy on anyone releasing one soon. Anyone heard anything?

Nah. I’d expect big tuning places like Revo and APR to be amongst the first and they haven’t managed. I did hear they’d managed to tune it but the ECU wiped it as soon as the car was restarted, I don’t know how true that is and I’d love to know what power they managed doing that...

Nah. I’d expect big tuning places like Revo and APR to be amongst the first and they haven’t managed. I did hear they’d managed to tune it but the ECU wiped it as soon as the car was restarted, I don’t know how true that is and I’d love to know what power they managed doing that...

Ive been checking the APR website periodically still nothing on there. I would imagine the figures would be up in RS4 territory that's probably the main reason Audi have made it so difficult and so only gives you one option is parting with the extra £30k + to buy one. Its only a matter of time before someone cracks it.

I wouldn't be so confident, the best ECU tuners have been at it for years, and not just with Audi's either as the same unit is fitted to other manufacturer's vehicles as well. Audi are spreading tamper proof ECU's across the range also....

Thanks.

I've covered 12k miles with no warning lights and no error codes. As already stated, a remap does not exist for this car so those statements are wrong on all counts...

Reactions: Kondax