S4 dipstick length...

youngsyp

Reaction score
Hi,

I changed the engine oil on the car at the weekend and what's been (mildly) troubling me for a while, prior to this, is that the dipstick and MMI oil level don't seem to agree by some margin. I checked the oil level again on Monday and the MMI was reading bang on maximum (filled with 6.4l). Sure enough, when I checked the dipstick, the level was only at half way between min and max, which would suggest a 0.5l difference, which is a lot to be possibly over filled by.

At the moment, I'm much more inclined to use the MMI level as the reference as the sensor that gives that information, is and always has been part of the car. Whereas the dipstick, is suspected to be the correct part for the car, but as it never came with one and as Audi don't list one for this particular engine, who knows if it's actually giving a correct level. I'm also not 100% sure, the dipstick I have, is the correct one as it has no part number on it but, I ordered the 'correct' part when I bought it (part no: 06E115611H)

So to my question, could those with the above dipstick please measure it and post up this measurement?Measuring from the 'stop' part, that sits on the dipstick tube, to the tip, so we all have the same measurement. I'll do the same and post up my measurement.
This will atleast clarify whether I have the 'correct' part or not.

Also, any observations of your own on the relationship between the MMI level and the dipstick level, on your cars, would be useful.

Cheers,

Paul

Any difference in oil capacity between the B8 and B8.5?
That could explain it?

Any difference in oil capacity between the B8 and B8.5?
That could explain it?
Nope. The engines are the same. Or at least the parts that would dictate oil capacity.

Just found this.

That's 44cm (or 43.97cm) in new money.

Mine's yellow, not orange though. If that makes a difference?!

Paul

I've got an A4, 58 plate, 3.2 Quattro, without dip stick. I very much dislike the engine not having the dip stick.
My local Audi centre will not sell me a dip stick, unless I provide them the part number.

I had my engine oil changed, yesterday and the guys said it took about 6.7 Ltrs.

Word to the wise. I once bought an A5, 14 plate convertible, 3.0 V6 TDi, ex-demo.
Collected and drove it home, next day checked oil in the MMi, which showed oil at minimum.
Took it to my local Audi centre. They had to drain the engine oil, measure what they had extacted.
They discovered the engine had the correct amout of oil in it. The oil level system needed re-calibration and I paid for new oil to be put into the engine, at my cost.

Now it's difficult to trust the MMi system in my A4. The garage has filled the engine to the maximum indicated in the MMI, but who's to say the max is topped out correctly?

I really hate this about Audi, not sure if other OEMs are deleting engine oil dip sticks also, but it makes me want to move away from the brand.

That is just an adjustable dip stick, so if Laser Tools did not get the correct measurement then you are still in the "unknown" area are you not?

I tend to trust Laser Tools products, saw that one but then found that people were buying a suitable dipstick, so until I end up with a car that there is no basic dipstick available to use, I'll stick with using a suitable dipstick.

That is just an adjustable dip stick, so if Laser Tools did not get the correct measurement then you are still in the "unknown" area are you not?
I'm not sure I follow. But it's not "just an adjustable dipstick". The linked item is Laser's version of the VAG T40178 tool that is used to measure oil capacity and calibrate the on-board, digital oil level gauge. As such, you set the applicable length, as per the instructions, and measure your oil level, getting a perfectly accurate result.

I tend to trust Laser Tools products, saw that one but then found that people were buying a suitable dipstick, so until I end up with a car that there is no basic dipstick available to use, I'll stick with using a suitable dipstick.
That's my point - the "suitable dipstick" doesn't tally up with the on-board oil level gauge. However, the Laser tool will clarify which measuring tool is the accurate one.

Paul

I suppose that you will then have 3 measuring devices when you buy that Laser Tools "calibration stick", so will be then check which 2 out of the 3 agree and go with that, or, total accept the Laser Tool "calibration stick" and adjust your MMI oil level indictor to agree with that.

It does get a bit messy when you can't/don't believe which is correct in this sort of situation, I do understand that, I'd prefer to end up working out what a correct range of oil levels looks like on the dip stick that lots of us have bought as you can check that weekly as we were meant to do years ago when cars came with a dip stick that we believed to give correct oil level indications.

I've been down that route with something that most people would ignore or take for granted - and that was coolant freezing point and corrosion protection, and run that topic into the ground - well in as much as I accepted the readings that I was getting!

Nope. The engines are the same. Or at least the parts that would dictate oil capacity.

Just found this.

That's 44cm (or 43.97cm) in new money.

Mine's yellow, not orange though. If that makes a difference?!

Paul

I have just taken some measurements from my dip stick which is the "H" variant, and for down to the top of MAX is 42.3cm, down to the top of MIN is 43.5cm and down to the bottom of the dip stick is 44.5cm.
My car's sump oil level seems a bit too high right now but I will have loaded new oil into it back June this year and checked it after topping up to the top of MAX after the engine has been stopped for what ever the handbook suggests - and now it has been unused for a couple of days so is a bit higher.

I suppose that you will then have 3 measuring devices when you buy that Laser Tools "calibration stick", so will be then check which 2 out of the 3 agree and go with that, or, total accept the Laser Tool "calibration stick" and adjust your MMI oil level indictor to agree with that.
I'll use the Laser tool as the benchmark and check the level against that.
It does get a bit messy when you can't/don't believe which is correct in this sort of situation, I do understand that, I'd prefer to end up working out what a correct range of oil levels looks like on the dip stick that lots of us have bought as you can check that weekly as we were meant to do years ago when cars came with a dip stick that we believed to give correct oil level indications.
Yes, exactly. Once I figure out which method is giving the correct reading, I can either 'adjust' the dipstick to match the new max reading, or use the dipstick as is, if its MAX is correct.
I've been down that route with something that most people would ignore or take for granted - and that was coolant freezing point and corrosion protection, and run that topic into the ground - well in as much as I accepted the readings that I was getting!
If you want the car to last, it's important to get these things right. So I completely empathise with your approach there.
I have just taken some measurements from my dip stick which is the "H" variant, and for down to the top of MAX is 42.3cm, down to the top of MIN is 43.5cm and down to the bottom of the dip stick is 44.5cm.
My car's sump oil level seems a bit too high right now but I will have loaded new oil into it back June this year and checked it after topping up to the top of MAX after the engine has been stopped for what ever the handbook suggests - and now it has been unused for a couple of days so is a bit higher.
Thanks for this, very useful.

I must admit that I've (still) not measured the dipstick yet with a tape measure but have deployed the calibration dipstick to check levels and it agrees with the MMI. Which would suggest the dipstick I was supplied by Audi is too short, as with the Max reading on the MMI and calibration agreeing, the oil level on the dipstick is around midway between MIN and MAX. I'm glad I followed my gut now and believed the MMI, as it would have had 500ml of oil in it over what it should have done.

The next time I have the bonnet open, I'll make sure to measure the dipstick as @rum4mo has above.

Paul