S4 car tax

how much is a years tax on the new b9

Not sure about before April but after it's £500 showroom tax for the saloon, £800 for the Avant and then £450 a year for both after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Showroom tax !! What the hells that !
The taxing is getting ridiculous.. the rs4 is oniy 500 quid ..I would have thought a 3L would be a lot cheaper to tax than a v8 !

Showroom tax !! What the hells that !
The taxing is getting ridiculous.. the rs4 is oniy 500 quid ..I would have thought a 3L would be a lot cheaper to tax than a v8 !

Its just the term used for the fact that the VED is higher in the first year. Been that way since the VED rates proposed in 2001.
So while the RS4 is £500 every year, it was £885 in its first year. This is just incorporated in the OTR price though.

For the S4 saloon, if it is registered before April 2017, it will be £300 in the first year (showroom tax) and £210 per year thereafter.
If its registered after April 2017, it will be £500 in the first year, then £450 per year for the next 5yrs, then £140 thereafter. The extra £340 for years 2-6 is due to the fact that it is worth >£40k.

So if I bought the same b9 before April you don't pay the £340 for the 5 yrs ?

You wouldn't pay the additional £340 over the basic £140 per month but you'd pay whatever the current rate is. Plus the £885 or whatever for the first registration.

Reactions: DrEskimo
So if I bought the same b9 before April you don't pay the £340 for the 5 yrs ?

Not quite. There are the current VED rates that were introduced in March 2001. Under these rates, you would pay what I outlined in my post above (£300, then £210 per year). They have just announced revision to the VED rates which will apply to all new vehicles registered after April 2017 (where you would pay £500 then £450, then £140).

So its literally just a timing issue. It just happens that the government has revised the VED bands and are introducing it on April 2017. So if your S4 is registered on or before 31/03/2017, you pay the old rates, if its registered on or after 01/04/2017, you pay the new rates.

Reactions: Daggerit
So your obviously better off buying before April 2017 ... it's not very encouraging to buy after that !

Yeah! That said, if you were to order now I think you'd be lucky to get your car before the change...

Reactions: DrEskimo
Yeah! That said, if you were to order now I think you'd be lucky to get your car before the change...

There's a few very well spec'ed cars in this country for immediate delivery if you aren't fussed by an exact spec

From Audi U.K. themselves..

The CO2 emissions for the S4 Avant are 171 g/km. Currently this will cost you £210 per year in road tax. However, this does change for cars registered after 1st April 2017. You will then be taxed £800 per year.

You can read more about the new tax rates on the Government website - https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/vehicles-registered-on-or-after-1-april-2017

Yes the Avant has higher g/CO2 than the Saloon. Saloon = 166; Avant = 171. This pushes the Avant into the next braket, where the first year VED is £800, as apposed to £500 for the saloon.

Audi UK are wrong suggesting 'You will then be taxed £800 per year.'. Quite clear from the government website they link that the first year is £800, the next 5 years are £140 + the £340 because its >£40k (£450 total), and then will be the flat £140 rate thereafter.

And if I was to be particularly pedantic, its not a tax...its a Vehicle Exercise Duty... :p

Everyone pays road tax through their income, regardless if they drive or not.

In theory it will be 2 years from article 50 that we start paying extra import tariffs on Audis but you never know - if the negotiations go bad it might happen sooner. VED will be the least of our worries...

Reactions: Dave70 and DrEskimo
Just for your info, an S4 ( 260 Kw ) in Italy costs £820 per year, road tax, with small differences between italian regions.
My A4 Avant is 90 KW ( a power step of the 2.0 liter which is present only in Italy/France/Spain, to my knowledge ) and it costs me £217 per year
Ciao
A.

Is the £800 per yr only on new cars or does that include pre reg and secondhand cars too

It's only for new cars registered after the 1st April this year. The £800 is just the first year tax, followed by £450 a year for the next five (I believe) years after that before it drops to £140 a year as per the standard pricing.

Reactions: Keef
Only on new cars registered after 1st April 2017, it's an increase to the first year rate aka showroom tax! £800 is only for the Avant. Preregisteted will still be subject to the first year rate at the 'current' rate. Second hand will have already taken the hit when new at first Reg.