S4 back at the dealers again

s4mark

Reaction score
Hi. About 6 weeks ago I had the power steering pump replaced at Audi at massive cost of £800, as it was very loud and they claimed it could fail at any time.

Well the S4 is back with them now as the new one screams even louder than before.

Had a call just after midday, it needs another new pump (under parts warranty obviously), but they can't get one for at least 7 working days.

So my car is stuck on their ramp in bits and I'm stuck in an 57 reg A3 S Line 1.8T.

The A3 is lovely but it's auto and with the 1.8T engine it just seems very hesitant. Maybe it's just me being used to the S4's power, but my old 1.8T A4 felt quicker.

I think the auto box is better suited to the 2.0T and upwards.

Anyway, lets hope that this is the last time i have to visit them as my experience of owning an S4 has proved to be a costly one lol

My S4 has always had something wrong with it and still does and unfortunatly is a costly process by not been able to get to things and so many sensors etc

s4mark said:
Hi. About 6 weeks ago I had the power steering pump replaced at Audi at massive cost of £800, as it was very loud and they claimed it could fail at any time.

Well the S4 is back with them now as the new one screams even louder than before.

Had a call just after midday, it needs another new pump (under parts warranty obviously), but they can't get one for at least 7 working days.

So my car is stuck on their ramp in bits and I'm stuck in an 57 reg A3 S Line 1.8T.

The A3 is lovely but it's auto and with the 1.8T engine it just seems very hesitant. Maybe it's just me being used to the S4's power, but my old 1.8T A4 felt quicker.

I think the auto box is better suited to the 2.0T and upwards.

Anyway, lets hope that this is the last time i have to visit them as my experience of owning an S4 has proved to be a costly one lol

****** hell Mark, you really haven't had much joy with this car have you :crying: I hope this is the end of your troubles for a good while.

Mine's just been in the garage (for the first time this year) as the alternator tensioner pulley bearings collapsed and threw the belt off. You guessed it, the whole front end had to come off again LOL!!!

Think someone should design a quick release system for the front end lol

lol i never have luck with my cars. I think the previous owner was well aware that there were a few problems lurking and wisely jumped ship lol

worst thing is that in 3000 miles time I need to get it serviced, cambelt replaced and waterpump. Not going to Audi for this but have found a small garage near my parents nr Salisbury called Frenchmoor Racing. He has a TT himself and says he services Audi's all the time however this will be his first B5 S4.

They have a very good reputation and with an all in price of £800 for the Service, belt and waterpump against Audi's quote of £1000 without the pump, I cannot say no

But its still worth every penny for those days when I have a clear road and its running perfect. Always makes me smile lol

s4mark said:
They have a very good reputation and with an all in price of £800 for the Service, belt and waterpump against Audi's quote of £1000 without the pump, I cannot say no

**** that, think I need to put you in touch with my mate Dean (ex-QST worker for 16 years),..............did mine for about half that :icon_thumright:

I think I have the biggest S4 sob story ever. Bought mine on October 10th last year. Since then it's had 4 engine pulls and 3 sets of turbos... the last ones being refurbed K04's which gave up the ghost after an unbelivable 150 miles(and £1050 refurb)!!!!

So, after costing me over £20k for a 9 year old car in the space of a year, 7 months of which it's not been right, i'm now faced with a HUGE 4-figure bill for an engine rebuild. Hoping AET will sort the turbos out, otherwise I will be on the warpath (they actually had to be sent back once before being fitted as well because they'd messed up the orientation of the shells).

Also, if it turns out that the engine internals have been ****** by the turbos blowing... I will be following up with some tasty legal action!

Beat that! I'm off to find a bottle of scotch and a tall building...

:crying:

Ouch dude,........very ouch :crying: :scared2:

You'll have to start selling hard drugs to pay for it all,...........by the kilo!!!!!!

Dan Gliballs said:
**** that, think I need to put you in touch with my mate Dean (ex-QST worker for 16 years),..............did mine for about half that :icon_thumright:

I would be very grateful if you could put me in touch with him if he fancies some private work. Girlfriend lives in Charlwood near Gatwick so over your neck of the woods often:icon_thumright:

s4mark said:
I would be very grateful if you could put me in touch with him if he fancies some private work. Girlfriend lives in Charlwood near Gatwick so over your neck of the woods often:icon_thumright:

Perfect, he lives in Crawley :)

I'll PM you his number ;)

Must phone him MYSELF soon actually................

Just had the cam belt kit done on mine this week, plus new plugs, flush, oil and filter. Oh and passenger side head stripped, all the tappets and lifters removed and cleaned, plus a replacement cam shaft fitted cos one was knackered after a stuck lifter wore a **** load of one of the cam lobes. All rebuilt and sweet as a nut for............£550 all in!!!! Hit the back pocket a bit hard but bit of a bargain I feel now!