S4 B6

Romax

Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can help before I spend money on something that isn't the problem.
Not a thing I do often but I gave my car the beans from a standstill, hit second gear and something gave now it feels like something is wonky and holding it back. Had it up on the ramp and found the propshaft had been slightly rubbing but not necessarily in bad condition (I've bought another prop and it's no better in condition and sending back) we have checked all bushings that we suspected and nothing seems out of place,
The gearstick moves up and down in second and third under load but there's no noises coming from anywhere..... Flummoxed and hope one of my fellow B6 S4 owners can shed some light.
It's an 03 saloon manual

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: abyrne153
When you say something is holding you back, is that in terms of engine power or do you think more along the lines of drive train etc?

Def drive train....

It's not lost any power, feels like the trans ect is moving

I would be thinking an issue with the Dual mass flywheel perhaps. I would have thought if it was an issue with the diff and quattro system you would most probably have a nasty noise evident too. What condition and how old is the clutch and flywheel?

I've learnt the hard way that guessing with these cars is an expensive and unrewarding hobby lol do you have a good indy near you that you could have take a look at it.

It's just had the timing chain done so had all the usual done, clutch, inlet manifold gasket, front and rear seals ... I don't think it has a duel mass

Just on 100000m

It should be a dual mass if it was replaced as per oem. If they have recently been done then hard to say what else it could be. I've heard the gearboxes and diff etc are pretty much bulletproof on these. I'd take it to someone who is clued up on the S models and get them to diagnose the problem. I use an indy garage in the Camberley area and they are so knowledgeable with these cars where other garages just scratch their heads

The price on the bill for the clutch was about £180 so I can't imagine it being duel mass.
Camberley isn't massively far from me

I was advised to stay with the oem dual mass flywheel as the non dual mass ones struggle to deal with the low down torque. I will look at the receipts from when I had my chain service and clutch etc done and see how much they came out at.

OK so just checked my invoice. The clutch itself was 175 so about the same but the DMF was 465 so maybe yours wasn't changed. Still, may not have anything to do with your problem, hope you get to the bottom of it and it's nothing to serious

Reactions: Romax
Good Luck, hope its an easy fix.

Reactions: Romax
So do I.... Have never owned a more frustrating car in my life..... Love it though

Reactions: rjm180
Absolutely agree. Love my S4 to bits but it's at the age now where I'm chasing my tail keeping up with its little niggles etc. My brain tells me to sell it and cut my losses but I detailed it at the weekend and realised how much I still like it lol

Reactions: rjm180 and Romax
Started a page on Facebook called Audi S4 UK
Come and join and spread the word to all the S4 owners out there ....cheers guys