S4 (B6) Bonnet wouldn't open....Now wont stay closed...

Mark Cleland

Reaction score
Evening All

I`m back looking for assistance with this pesky s4 of mine.

Seems to be the most troublesome car i`ve owned but that's another story.

Been hibernating over the winter and after my starting issues getting resolved i have an issue with the bonnet.

Originally it would not open - after we got that resolved ( by swearing and waving my fist at it) it now wont stay closed.

Everything seems to line up okay, the bonnet release cable moves freely, the bonnet release inside the car is going back to original position and i have skooshed, cleaned and lubricated the catch on the bonnet and the mechanism on the front panel. All silly options have been explored ( bonnet is aligned and there is nothing fouling the closing of it)

But it still pops open no matter how little or how much force I use.

Seems to be a common problem, but is there a common fix that i am missing?

what catch?
I should clarify - i can get it to shut and stay shut ( for the purposes of locking the car over night etc) but so much as touch it and it pops open. When i get it shut i can often pop it open by the vibration of shutting the door before i even get to drive..

I still think it's faulty catch. It's obviously got problem with something inside not locking correctly and making strong hold. Does the catch look broken or like its moved at all?

It sounds broken to me .. You haven't adjusted it in any way have you