S4 Auto or Manual?

Kiwi79

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm currently in an 8P S3 (manual) with a stage 1 map but being a 2008 car the time is coming to move to something a little newer plus it never sounded good even with a sports exhaust (inline 4 pots I guess)

I like anonymous looking cars with plenty of poke so an S4 with the smaller wheels debadged and a map is one possibility but what do people think of auto vs manual for this gen S4?

I have heard a few people say the auto used is a little dated compared to say a a ZF in a 140i.

B8 S4 2009-2016 has a dual clutch s-tronic gearbox and a supercharged 3.0V6
B9 S4 2016-current has a ZF torque converter gearbox and a turbocharged 3.0V6 (the latest models are diesel)
Which years are you considering?

"A little dated" is such a subjective opinion. But whilst it might be fair to use it to describe a car's interior design, it seems bizarre to use it to describe a transmission. Technically the ZF torque converter gearbox is based on technology that is far older than that of the s-tronic dual clutch gearbox. If anything it is the recent improvements made by ZF which finally allows their torque converter gearbox to compete with the performance of a dual clutch gearbox (which ZF also make).

Reactions: JohnS3 and 45bvtc
I'm looking at probably 2015 or so whatever circa 18k would get without intergalactic mileage - ideally estate but not many for sale. I hadn't released they changed to turbo for later later versions. Not driven supercharged before does this still have a turbo style kick or is it more linear? Also wondering if the manual is any good? My S3 was a bit wooly feeling on the box until I got some bushings fitted and now it has a lovely feel.

I'm looking at probably 2015 or so whatever circa 18k would get without intergalactic mileage - ideally estate but not many for sale. I hadn't released they changed to turbo for later later versions. Not driven supercharged before does this still have a turbo style kick or is it more linear? Also wondering if the manual is any good? My S3 was a bit wooly feeling on the box until I got some bushings fitted and now it has a lovely feel.
I had the manual for 3 years and loved it. The clutches are hit and miss though, some people are tuned on the standard clutch and have no issues whilst others have had then starting to slip on a standard car. I put a new flywheel and sachs x tend clutch in mine and it handled 400lbft and 460hp no problems. The dsg versions can be a whole other mine field! Lol. From 2014 onwards though I think the dsgs are more reliable.
The power delivery is very linear, no turbocharged kick, which can be underwhelming but the car certainly moves, when its tuned anyway.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Can't answer ya question as my spec had to be auto for the missus (and myself tbh, not driven a manual for too long). I got a 64 plate with 48k miles and a few extras (tech pack and super sports seats mainly) for around your price bracket which I picked a couple of weeks ago. Really aren't many around, I was lucky there was one round the corner from me and got a decent deal on part exchange.
Just wanted to chip in coming from an 8V S3 with a Res delete and valves disabled that this is MUCH quieter than what I'm used to, not sure what your 8P sounded like but I'm sure it'll be a step down in noise, these cars are seriously dampened for 'refinement' so you'll probably have to invest in some modifications to the exhaust / supercharger if you want some noise out of this thing!

I had the manual for 3 years and loved it. The clutches are hit and miss though, some people are tuned on the standard clutch and have no issues whilst others have had then starting to slip on a standard car. I put a new flywheel and sachs x tend clutch in mine and it handled 400lbft and 460hp no problems. The dsg versions can be a whole other mine field! Lol.

Thanks for the info. That brings back fond memories of driving away from my remap on the S3 standard clutch with a fair few miles on it putting my foot down in 3rd and instantly experiencing a world of clutch slip! I suppose a better question is does the auto handle remaps comfortably or is the manual with uprated clutch a bit more robust - did you end up with a concrete clutch only suitable for powerlifters? (launch control in the auto does appeal tho)

Thanks for the info. That brings back fond memories of driving away from my remap on the S3 standard clutch with a fair few miles on it putting my foot down in 3rd and instantly experiencing a world of clutch slip! I suppose a better question is does the auto handle remaps comfortably or is the manual with uprated clutch a bit more robust - did you end up with a concrete clutch only suitable for powerlifters? (launch control in the auto does appeal tho)
The sachs x tend clutch feels factory. I had it in the car for 3 years with no issues. I would assume a dsg that has been serviced regularly from day 1 would be the cheaper option as it should handle the power. Have you drove an S4? I will say don't be put off when you do. When I test drove mine standard I was totally underwhelmed. It actually felt slower than the tuned 3.0 tdi A5 I was trading in! This is just the way the power is on these being supercharged, the torque curve is so flat. Tuned with an exhaust the car is awesome though. My best memory was showing up a Maserati Granturismo Mc stradale haha

The brochure I have from April '14 doesn't show a manual option for any S4 models...

@Kiwi79 note this, you can't get a '15 manual, if you want manual you'll have to go pre-facelift

Reactions: Ginge247
@Kiwi79 - you need to test drive a B8/B8.5 because the characteristics of the supercharged engine are so different from turbo. I came from a stage 2 B5 biturbo S4 and so that "turbo kick" was really noticeable, and totally absent in my B8.5. However I love the linearity of the supercharged engine coupled with the s-tronic DSG, such that I felt that even stock my B8.5 S5 was better than my stage 2 B5. Now that my S5 is stage 2 it is in a different league. I have read comments from some people who moved from B8 to B9 and appreciated the turbo characteristics again. It is a personal thing.

A 2015 S4 will be a good year to buy (unless you want a manual gearbox of course). It will have the latest version of the s-tronic gearbox, and also the latest version of the engine (code CREC). That engine was introduced mid-2014 so a late 2014 S4 would be good too.

Reactions: Ginge247 and HertS3