S4 Audi Drive Select - Engine Sound not changing

Dave Thornton

Reaction score
I took deliver of my 2021 S4 today. Nearly all is good, but when I select 'Pronounced' in the Engine Sound section of Audi Drive Select, there is no change in noise. In fact in either Subdued or Pronounced it sounds very quiet, just like my Q7 3.0 TDI. Am I doing something wrong, or maybe the sound actuator is faulty?

Also, the rear lights aren't animated when locking/unlocking - just the indicators not the tail lights. Is this buried away in the menus somewhere?

I took deliver of my 2021 S4 today. Nearly all is good, but when I select 'Pronounced' in the Engine Sound section of Audi Drive Select, there is no change in noise. In fact in either Subdued or Pronounced it sounds very quiet, just like my Q7 3.0 TDI. Am I doing something wrong, or maybe the sound actuator is faulty?

Also, the rear lights aren't animated when locking/unlocking - just the indicators not the tail lights. Is this buried away in the menus somewhere?
Which trim level do you have?

the animated rear lights previously came with the matrix / laser headlights but looking at configuratorthese now seem to have been dropped.

may be due to the current chip shortages - theres nothing in the mmi on my S5 to turn them on they just work

Which trim level do you have?

the animated rear lights previously came with the matrix / laser headlights but looking at configuratorthese now seem to have been dropped.

may be due to the current chip shortages - theres nothing in the mmi on my S5 to turn them on they just work
It's the Black Edition trim level. Quite possible that chip shortages have changed the spec. There's a few bits of penny pinching going on since my last new Audi in 2016.

It's the Black Edition trim level. Quite possible that chip shortages have changed the spec. There's a few bits of penny pinching going on since my last new Audi in 2016.
If you have the audi app you can check the exact spec of the car - both standard and and options fitted.

if it’s got the animated lights it should list LED Combination lamp, variable lighting functions

On the app it just says "LED rear combination lamp, dynamic turn signal", so I think you're right - the S5 and the S4 Vorsprung has the matrix LED lights which then add dynamic front indicators. I can live without them. Likewise the "reversible luggage compartment floor" which I suspect only applies to the A4 due to the 48v system underneath the S4/S5. The Audi Beam (4 ring puddle lights) were in a box in the glove compartment and I'll get the other 2 when I next visit the dealer.

But the sound actuator is 'hopefully' not connected/working. If it's been de-specced I'll be kicking off!

I’ve not tried changing the individual sound settings, just keep it in dynamic, its noticeably louder than in comfort mode.

Sounds dissapointing if you aren't hearing a change in sound, I should be picking up a 21 S4 in the next week or two and I'm expecting a sound actuator.

How's the new engine, guessing you test drove pre revised emission standards, good low down pull?

Sounds dissapointing if you aren't hearing a change in sound, I should be picking up a 21 S4 in the next week or two and I'm expecting a sound actuator.

How's the new engine, guessing you test drove pre revised emission standards, good low down pull?
Hi thanks for replying, there aren't many S4 TDI owners on forums, so it's hard to know how the car should be. But I start by saying that I think the car is almost brilliant. Bigger mirrors, no memory seat option and a crappy handbook are my only gripes so far. My spec is S4 Avant Black Edition, Daytona Grey, black interior, carbon fibre inlays and storage pack.

It's going back to the dealer on 25 May to be looked at. I've been in touch with another dealer who had a new one in stock (with a chassis number after mine) and it had got the correct engine sounds. I had Audi Assist out to my car and the laptop plugin found no issues, but then again he wasn't familiar with the S4. So I'm hopeful that it will be a software issue, something needing connecting, or an admittance that the part wasn't fitted and that they will address it.

Mine's a 21 MY, with 341PS (not 347PS) - not sure why they changed it but guess it's to do with emissions. The official figures now show maximum torque at 1750rpm (instead of 2500rpm). It does have fantastic low down pull but as some Youtube reviewers have commented, there's sometimes an irritating hesitancy. Yesterday I was town driving and the stop-start wasn't activating, without explanation, but no doubt due to a set of criteria not being met. And on the way home it was particularly hesitant. Today my wife drove it 50 miles (got 44mpg); I drove it after and the low down pull was pretty much instant. The demo car last Oct was a 347PS on a 69 plate and I didn't notice any hesitancy. I don't know how the 48V system works or the criteria for the coasting / engine off and would love to know. In the meantime, I'm yet to work out whether it can be minimised e.g. by forcing a downchange when accelerating. At the moment, my Drive Select is on 'Balanced' drive, 'Dynamic' steering and would be on 'Pronounced' for the engine sound.

Anyway, when (or even before) you get yours, I'd be grateful if you could confirm your Engine Sound. And let's share any other info that we may find useful.

Sounds good, mine was on a ship last week so hopeful I find it's been called up to dealer this week and collect week after.

I've gone for vorsprung Avant in Daytona, with carbon inlays and storage pack excited to see it after a 9 month wait.

I did a bunch of research around the revised engine and wrote a thread about it not sure of you caught it https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/2021-rde2-s4-engine-changes.422594/
Once I saw the details I was glad that my car was delayed. Could be the 48v battery was depleted and it could utilise the electric compressor as much, mpg sounds good for a fresh engine as well, the figures suggested better mpg faster 0-62 time and less lag.

I'll come back once I've got it and let you know on the exhaust sound.

my S5 TDI isnt that noisy inside even in dynamic and pronounced (individual). It does change though . I am assuming it’s outside is more pronounced . The rapid acceleration without sound or drama is quite frightening .
I also found that noise has changed as it’s loosened up over 1000 miles . near £70k car sat parked for 6 months and 1600 miles …