S4 4.2 V8 questions

Snowplough

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and I have some questions regarding the S4 B6 as I'm toying with the idea of buying one.

What are the common issues and are they expensive to fix, I've read the V8 is slightly oil thirsty (more so than typical oil usage) looking on euro car parts servicing isn't cheap coming in at £420 for all the necessary gear!

How much do tyres cost on average? I wouldn't want to put ditchfinders on but wouldn't want to spend daft amounts per tyre.

Also read they do 21mpg which doesn't bother me as I drive for a living so would only be using it on weekends but is 21mpg average or is that spirited driving?

Which models came with that silver interior, is it just the Avants? Looks awesome!

Lastly, are they a good accessory for pulling fit chicks being an Audi? I'm often told I look like Sloth from the Goonies so some assistance is required LOL

I have one so i can comment... They do like a drink of oil and fuel, mine is running 370 Bhp with a JH Motorsport tune, piggy down pipes and de-cats. I have seen higher mpg (27 mpg) on the dis however it was me on my best behaviour - got 12 points on licence in short period of time... As a car is one of the most acomplished cars i got to date, agile, understated and makes a noise to die for ! I am running 20" forged s8 alloys, arguably the best looking standard wheel from audi. Tyres are a bit stretched- i used Falken fk452 and the grip they give is unbelievable for the price ! I will put mine for sale soon, sadly is no point to just look at it, my insurance company does not want to insure me no more...mine's a saloon though !

i service my car very often, the oil is the main cost it takes 8 litres of the golden stuff and i preffer a good quality 5w40 fully syn oil to stop the chains from stretching ! If the car you go for has a ratly engine just walk away ...

Thanks for the info! I have looked at videos of them on youtube and with the mufflers removed they sound amazing!

Fuel consumption is about the same as the works van then and that does 400~ miles to a tank, what are piggy pipes? Is that the brand name or style of pipes? 370 BHP is a nice figure as well I would be happy with that.

mine is now sold but i had it for 9 years
some cars do use a little oil , personally mine never did
£420 for the service parts ???? what are you using and replacing as thats sounds very high
good tyres will cost you on average £130 a corner
vredestein , continental , hankook , falken all have good tyres available at that kind of budget
mpg will vary according to how you drive it in and around twon expect 16-20 mpg
heavy boot and itll drop to single figures
cruise on the motorway and its possible to get nearer 30
the silver interior was an upgrade its called nappa leather and wasnt fitted to many cars

£420 included brakes all round, pollen filter (not important in my opinion), air filter,oil filter, spark plugs, oil and anything I've forgotten.

LOL at the single figure fuel consumption, that'll be fun! As for this Nappa leather, I'd hazard a guess if people were breaking an S4 this interior would be quite expensive with it being rare? There was one on ebay with this interior fitted and it was about £4000 for the car, 100,000 miles though :/

I would do the pollen filter regardless as they block up and create a lot of condensation come winter on the inside.....annual change keeps on top of it and a common poblem with the whole range.

yes if your going to that extent ....change the brake fluid if it aint been changed before makes a huge improvement
no point having new brakes if the fluid itself is past its sell by date

piggy pipes are when you remove the inner workings of the pre cats
makes a huge improvment to the s4 performance and allows the car to breath properly
avoid removing the back boxes and putting in straight pipes at all costs unless you wish to go deaf very shortly therafter
itll be great the first few times you start the car , but after that it will annoy you anywhere and everywhere you go

Didn't think the pollen filter would be that important, yeah brake fluid would be added to the list just something I forgot to add.

Will it still pass an MOT emissions test with the pre cat innards removed?

yes and no

if the pre cats are mapped out correctly , so as to give no warning lights then yes the normal cats are still good enough to pass a normal mot test

no if you dont map out the pre cats as within 20 miles you will get the check engine warning light
which im lead to believe is an mot failure