S4 4.2 Fuel Consumption

Sulli69

Reaction score
So it's a 4.2 V8 with an AMD remap running over 350BHP, and look what it can do:

04102011207.jpg

Done a few thousand miles now and regularly manage 30-34mpg on a run, amazed at the fuel consumption. Significantly better than my old E39 M5, M3, Scooby etc - in fact it's as good as my Focus ST2!!! To think it is so much more car, the S4 4.2 must be the perfect car :)

What sort of runs are those?

In only takes a bit of town driving to hit the late teens; get stuck in traffic and it's barely double figures.

50 mile motorway, reasonable traffic, with some town driving either side. Never get in teens really unless I am constantly ragging it.

Mid- to late-twenties is pretty normal for that kind of driving.

I get 17-18 on a 20 minute urban drive to work but, if there's queuing (like there has been at roadworks recently), it's more like 14-15.

as said on a longer run theyre not too bad but round town we get teens out of ours

thats amazing! Dont think I have seen more than 24 on mine, and i was impressed at that! may have to have mine mapped. Its running standard 344 at the min with a cat back Milltek. Did you notice the difference on having it mapped??

Top your oil up!! I only manage about 19-22mpg and that's half A roads and half motorway. Cruised up the M3 once at 60mph and got 28mpg but as soon as I hit a hill it dropped. Around town I get 14-16mpg. I personally put it down to the exhaust sounding so badass I end up just doing it to listen to it

Oh, by the way, Sam - I just got the JHM short shifter installed (took IGS hours to adjust it right by the sound of it).

It's pretty stiff but it's ridiculously short. The stiffness in shifting is far more desirable than the notchiness of the OEM one - I hated it when it 'stuck' and then suddenly released itself. I made me want an auto (!).

Oh, by the way, Sam - I just got the JHM short shifter installed (took IGS hours to adjust it right by the sound of it).

It's pretty stiff but it's ridiculously short. The stiffness in shifting is far more desirable than the notchiness of the OEM one - I hated it when it 'stuck' and then suddenly released itself. I made me want an auto (!).

So its sorted now? I wouldn't mind checking that out sometime as I was thinking of getting the short shifter. but had one in my last audi but didn't think it was worth the hassle (an ebay cheapy mind). Also that cover in my boot won't stay on now! is yours still playing up? yours worked on mine if I remember and mine worked on yours so we should maybe swap them?!

Also that cover in my boot won't stay on now! is yours still playing up? yours worked on mine if I remember and mine worked on yours so we should maybe swap them?!

Ha! Sorry about that.

I can't remember what happened now; I do remember going into Audi for a price afterwards and walking straight out again when they told me how it was.

Do you know what colour your trim is? I think mine's 'Soul Grey' or something like that.

You can see from the comparison video on the JHM web page that the construction of the shifter is legit. If I wiggle it in neutral it knocks against solid material; not the jelly feel you get from the OEM setup.

204b5bc4.jpg

This was mine on the way home today! By the time I got home it at 22mpg

Had mine at knockhill for a track day and managed an average of 8mpg round the track. But normally average 28 on my 50 mile round trip to work which I think is ok.

What's that warning light on your display?

Yeah it's for the auto level sensor. It's been on every since I had the coilovers fitted, I think they damaged the wiring as both sensors are shorting to earth. It's on my to do list before mot time