S3 xenon swap

southylad

Reaction score
Hi i have ordered new d1s 6000k bulbs led drl bulbs and led sidlight bulbs my question is best way of fitting is it possible to fit from under the bonnet behind the lights or do i have to stripoff the front end any help would be great thanks in advance

AFAIK can either take bumper off or I've seen many on here just remove the wheel arch lining and fit their hands through there.

Reactions: southylad
I assume you have a pre-facelift S3 since ordering D1S bulbs? I had the bumper off anyway so removed the entire light clusters to replace the bulbs. I believe this is the easiest way on a pre-facelift as the bulb holder is a completely different design compared to the facelift D3S bulb. Facelift use a plastic twist-type bulb holder while the pre-facelift has two retainer springs to hold the bulb in place. I used a flathead screwdriver to pry the connector off, then used needle-nose pliers to remove the spring clips, all of which would have been impossible from behind the arch liner, at least for me :p

Reactions: southylad
I assume you have a pre-facelift S3 since ordering D1S bulbs? I had the bumper off anyway so removed the entire light clusters to replace the bulbs. I believe this is the easiest way on a pre-facelift as the bulb holder is a completely different design compared to the facelift D3S bulb. Facelift use a plastic twist-type bulb holder while the pre-facelift has two retainer springs to hold the bulb in place. I used a flathead screwdriver to pry the connector off, then used needle-nose pliers to remove the spring clips, all of which would have been impossible from behind the arch liner, at least for me :p
Yeh pre facelift mate i was thinking it might be hard the drl and sides dont look too bad but the d1s look hard work