S3 won't start. Need help.

mnhobbes

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a 2000 S3 8L that i've had alot of fun with and that never let me down. Some two years ago the car was starting to "lag" when i was accelerating. This was an issue that came now and then for a couple of months before it eventually died on the highway after "lagging" up a long climb. Since then (cause of my economic situation etc.) the car has been sitting outside my house. I've tried the following things:

- changed the waterpump + timing belt (professional mechanic)
- changed all the coils
- changed all spark plugs
- changed the fuel pump
- checked the fuel pump relay
- changed the fuel filter
- checked all fuses
- checked the fault codes (nothing serious here) (getting a fault on the downpipe, that sensor has been changed)
- changed the crankshaft sensor (today)

Other than this, everything in the suspension is brand new, so yea. I know its really really bad that the car has been sitting for two years, but right now, the concern is to get it started.

After every step we've tried starting it with start gas, fully charged battery etc.

We even ran it on the starter without the spark plugs today and the engine sounds just fine. We also changed the oil and installed a new oil filter today because it has been sitting this long. Emptied the old fuel and filled up with new.

The next thing we're going to try is the spare key incase its an issue with the immobilizer.

Hope someone of you can lead us in the right direction.

(disclaimer: As you probably already noticed, english isnt my mother language. If any of the names or descriptions i used was wrong or hard to understand, please let me know so i can explain it further.)
- Marius
Hi guys. I have a 2000 S3 8L that i've had alot of fun with and that never let me down. Some two years ago the car was starting to "lag" when i was accelerating. This was an issue that came now and then for a couple of months before it eventually died on the highway after "lagging" up a long climb. Since then (cause of my economic situation etc.) the car has been sitting outside my house. I've tried the following things:

- changed the waterpump + timing belt (professional mechanic)
- changed all the coils
- changed all spark plugs
- changed the fuel pump
- changed the fuel filter
- checked all fuses
- checked the fault codes (nothing serious here) (getting a fault on the downpipe, that sensor has been changed)
- changed the crankshaft sensor (today)

Other than this, everything in the suspension is brand new, so yea. I know its really really bad that the car has been sitting for two years, but right now, the concern is to get it started.

After every step we've tried starting it with start gas, fully charged battery etc.

We even ran it on the starter without the spark plugs today and the engine sounds just fine. We also changed the oil and installed a new oil filter today because it has been sitting this long. Emptied the old fuel and filled up with new.

The next thing we're going to try is the spare key incase its an issue with the immobilizer.

Hope someone of you can lead us in the right direction.

(disclaimer: As you probably already noticed, english isnt my mother language. If any of the names or descriptions i used was wrong or hard to understand, please let me know so i can explain it further.)
- Marius

Last edited:
Could be any number of things I'm afraid, try cleaning the maf sensor, or try starting it with the maf unplugged, if it starts, then you have a bad maf, cam sensor could be at fault, even the ecu itself may be faulty, get it scanned with vcds, blocked cat or exhaust maybe, check there is power getting to the coils, the coil wiring loom could be broken down.

My mates car didn't start this week and the issue was the alternator had seized - that little extra friction stopped the engine turning over properly.

The engine is turning over just fine. It sounds like nothing is wrong when its turning. Its just not starting. Not even with start gas or anything. I've tried with and without the MAF sensor. Makes no difference.

Do you have a spark, remove coils one at a time, put a spark plug in the coil and hold it near the engine with a pair of insulated pliers, turn the car over to see if you have a spark at the plug end.

Maybe something is blocking the injectors after being stood still for so long? Or fuel pressure regulator stuck open?