S3 wont rev past 4.5k Revs Help!!!!!

Jonse

Reaction score
Hi All,

I need some help. Just been driving my car today after letting it rest for 4 days. Its started to act strange everytime i go to 4.5K revs it feels as though im hitting the limiter and the car jolts. Car is running revo stage 2+, never had any issue before. but now worried it might be in limp mode or something bad is wrong. This happens while driving and is in all gears.

I have added a video to show what happens

[video]http://s701.photobucket.com/user/Jonse_14/media/IMG_0622_zpsbf757a94.mp4.html[/video]

That doesnt look healthy! However i have no idea whats causing that, got VCDS or know anyone local who can check for you? They may give you a starting point. I would refrain from replicating the problem until you have had it looked at. Could be a potential fueling problem.

Yeah i have some one who has VCDS but not till monday. im off this week so could also pop down Audi. but that might cost me alot.

whats valet mode? No i dont have an SPS. Audi have just done a MOT on it

ahh maybe i should get one. Would it be worth taking it to the nearest Revo dealer and having them take a look at it?

Don't know much tbh but did Audi upgrade the ecu or anything while it was in ? Could they have done some updates or something that's effected ur map? Maybe me being stupid but if it was fine before it went in,

Sounds like your air mass (MAF) is playing up, although get it read to be sure, where abouts are you?

Sounds like your air mass (MAF) is playing up, although get it read to be sure, where abouts are you?

That's what I was thinking. Unplug your maf sensor and see if it will rev higher. That's if you can unplug them in an Audi with no issues?

You can unplug them, they should just run on default settings then.

Agree with the above mate (MAF), looks exactly what was happening to my old 20vt, once i unplugged the MAF it ran fine until i got a new one.

So just tried removing the MAF and issue is still happening. One thin i have noticed though. The car pops on gear change and small pops when the car slows down in gear. Could it be a fuelling issue.

Just looked at your vid and it looks pretty bad.
too bad for a maf issue and I'd say too bad for a fueling issue.
you'd need it plugged in to check for error codes but could it be a timing sensor fault?
i wouldn't be driving it until you get it resolved.

one idea would be to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes this would revert your Revo back to stock settings and would help you diagnose it.
the only problem is you'd need to go to your Revo dealer to put your map settings back on or buy an sps switch.

Hi everyone,

Can I add my experience with this revving issue, it may help you or someone else.

I've been following this thread intently, as I've been having the exact same problem with my Octavia VRS (2.0 TFSI AXX engine code). Initially no error codes from vagcom, either.

After searching all over the internet for different solutions to this common issue, I changed the Cam Follower, the fuel filter and checked my DV for splits (i was shocked to find it was the later revision type D, which was nice!). But still had the same problem.

Then after another VCDS scan, it threw up an error code for the Crankshaft speed sensor (AKA engine speed sensor G28). Changed this today and all is great again!

The old one had been on there from new (7 years) and looked completely knackered.

So I would suggest you check this, as it maybe the answer?

Good luck, let us know how you get on, as this thread will help others in the future

Rog :thumbsup:

Hi everyone,

Can I add my experience with this revving issue, it may help you or someone else.

I've been following this thread intently, as I've been having the exact same problem with my Octavia VRS (2.0 TFSI AXX engine code). Initially no error codes from vagcom, either.

After searching all over the internet for different solutions to this common issue, I changed the Cam Follower, the fuel filter and checked my DV for splits (i was shocked to find it was the later revision type D, which was nice!). But still had the same problem.

Then after another VCDS scan, it threw up an error code for the Crankshaft speed sensor (AKA engine speed sensor G28). Changed this today and all is great again!

The old one had been on there from new (7 years) and looked completely knackered.

So I would suggest you check this, as it maybe the answer?

Good luck, let us know how you get on, as this thread will help others in the future

Rog :thumbsup:

Hi There, I have taken my car to the garage today and my luck have it. it hasnt happened today. They did mention about the crankshaft.

So what do you recommend? Checking both the DV and Crankshaft?

Thanks

Hi jonse,

Yes, I would recommend checking/replacing the crankshaft sensor, as a split DV won't give you those symptoms you have.

I've had a split DV on my last A3. The powerloss is less violent, you just don't have any umph! So to speak.

With the crankshaft sensor, the problem may start off very intermittent, then become more frequent. But if it isn't doing it at moment then leave it. It may have been a glitch! If it does come back you know what to check first.

:icon_thumright:

Sorry for all the questions but just need my bad *** car back :(

As its in the garage now is it worth them checking the sensor while its in?

Is that something easy for them to check?

Thanks

Ryan

They would need run the car at high revs to see if the fault returns, if it does, then they need to scan it to check for error codes. If the codes come up showing a fault with the G28 sensor, then I would say have it replaced. Not cheap £120 from Tps! But worth it if it cures your problem.

You guys were bang one with the timing sensor. Changed and now works brilliant again :)

Reactions: Audi-Rog and S3_Mat