S3 windscreen problem - opinions please

Supa Koopa

Reaction score
So this is a long story and I apologise for it now.

I picked up my S3 on 31 July 2015 and after a while I started to notice a weird anomoly with the windscreen. On the nearside edge of the screen there is a distortion where a straight line dips and can be very distracting. It's difficult to explain and looking at complex scene is hard to see, but as soon as there are any horizontal lines it's clearly evident, hopefully this might help -----_----- it's like that the whole way down the screen. I asked the wife to look through my side of the screen to see if there was any distortion and she said there was, so I thought it was normal and left it for a couple of months.

It finally annoyed me enough to go to the dealers. At first they couldn't see it until I moved the car so it was alongside their building where it was completely obvious. The senior tech came out and agreed it was a fault. Role on 2 weeks for a replacement screen and a phone call to tell me it was cracked on delivery so they would have to get another one. This was fitted and I drove away. 2 days later they called to ask if everything was okay, to which I replied no it still does it, not as bad but its there. A week later back to the dealers for the senior tech to have another look. He agreed it was faulty but would need to confirm with Audi.

Role on another week and Audi confirmed that there should be no distortion on any screens manufactured after July 2015 which mine was and they approved another change. A week went by and a replacement arrived to be told this one was also cracked and they would have to get another. Audi were out of stock and so it was on back order. 4 weeks went by and no contact so I started to chase. I won't go in to the full details as the failings of the dealership are not really the problem here. I was supposed to get phone call on the 4th of January for a replacement again, this didn't happen but it finally went in to the workshop on Thursday of last week. So Friday I go to pick up my car, new screen fitted, new wiper blades fitted, heat shield on the exhaust moved to stop the rattling, dent taken out of the rear quarter and all software checked. The lady in service was all exceited that everything was finally sorted. I sit in the car and yup another knackered screen. I sat in a S3 saloon in the showroom and this does not have the same problem so it seems to be my car. They assured me that my worries of a bent frame were not possible but I can't see how I can be that unlucky to get 3 dodgy screens.

So the ball is in my court and they are happy to order yet another replacement, but I'm sick of going in for the same thing now. I can live with it but not sure I should be doing so, but I don't know what my choices are.

Can anyone with a 3 door S3 with comfort pack and therefore the acoustic windscreen let me know if they see the same thing I do? I need to phone Audi and speak to them...! :(

So this is a long story and I apologise for it now.

I picked up my S3 on 31 July 2015 and after a while I started to notice a weird anomoly with the windscreen. On the nearside edge of the screen there is a distortion where a straight line dips and can be very distracting. It's difficult to explain and looking at complex scene is hard to see, but as soon as there are any horizontal lines it's clearly evident, hopefully this might help -----_----- it's like that the whole way down the screen. I asked the wife to look through my side of the screen to see if there was any distortion and she said there was, so I thought it was normal and left it for a couple of months.

It finally annoyed me enough to go to the dealers. At first they couldn't see it until I moved the car so it was alongside their building where it was completely obvious. The senior tech came out and agreed it was a fault. Role on 2 weeks for a replacement screen and a phone call to tell me it was cracked on delivery so they would have to get another one. This was fitted and I drove away. 2 days later they called to ask if everything was okay, to which I replied no it still does it, not as bad but its there. A week later back to the dealers for the senior tech to have another look. He agreed it was faulty but would need to confirm with Audi.

Role on another week and Audi confirmed that there should be no distortion on any screens manufactured after July 2015 which mine was and they approved another change. A week went by and a replacement arrived to be told this one was also cracked and they would have to get another. Audi were out of stock and so it was on back order. 4 weeks went by and no contact so I started to chase. I won't go in to the full details as the failings of the dealership are not really the problem here. I was supposed to get phone call on the 4th of January for a replacement again, this didn't happen but it finally went in to the workshop on Thursday of last week. So Friday I go to pick up my car, new screen fitted, new wiper blades fitted, heat shield on the exhaust moved to stop the rattling, dent taken out of the rear quarter and all software checked. The lady in service was all exceited that everything was finally sorted. I sit in the car and yup another knackered screen. I sat in a S3 saloon in the showroom and this does not have the same problem so it seems to be my car. They assured me that my worries of a bent frame were not possible but I can't see how I can be that unlucky to get 3 dodgy screens.

So the ball is in my court and they are happy to order yet another replacement, but I'm sick of going in for the same thing now. I can live with it but not sure I should be doing so, but I don't know what my choices are.

Can anyone with a 3 door S3 with comfort pack and therefore the acoustic windscreen let me know if they see the same thing I do? I need to phone Audi and speak to them...! :(

I haven't noticed anything, i'll have a look when i'm driving back later

Reactions: Supa Koopa
I haven't noticed anything, i'll have a look when i'm driving back later

Thank you.

A good place to spot it is on the motorway, inside lane and look at a barrier. Don't focus on the glass look at the object and mine bends. Really off-putting as you go round a corner as your eye is drawn to it. :(

Well I would call customer services, if they weren't constantly engaged with people complaining about their diesels. :)

Bifocal Audi Acoustic windscreens - whatever next :)

Reactions: pburv and Supa Koopa
Thanks V8.

To be honest, I did not expect it to be completely distortion free as that is where the curve of the screen is but this does not appear to be that normal type of distortion and it's very hard to describe by text.

I would expect there to be a bulge where the screen curves so would give this effect ooo00oooo if you get my meaning.

Mine is the opposite so there is a dip in the line not a bulge so 0000oo0000, sorry as that's the best I can do with numbers and letters. Lol

So is this what others notice? The service department clearly stated they were faulty as did Audi who were sent pictures by the senior tech.

Park up facing a brick wall and take a photo from the inside ...... :)

I notice corner/edge distortions when driving along - either the white lines in the centre of the road go all wobbly, or driving past railings on the nearside!

Then I remember I paid extra to have the wider screen on the Tech Pack, so I look at that instead to get my money's worth ;)

Will do, but I might be struggling to do so for a few days. It's the weekend car and by the time I get home it's dark. :(

I've looked at everything seems normal to me. I don't want to look to much as if I see it I'll never stop being annoyed by it

Reactions: Supa Koopa
My sister noticed that the windscreen seems distorted on the passenger side in my car - and it was pre-July 2015 build :blink:

I didn't notice anything but will check again...

Well here's a couple of pictures that I hope will demonstrate the problem I'm having. Maybe this is normal, but if so I would have thought I'd have read a lot more posts about it.

IMG 0551 IMG 0552

Really is lots of fun when driving. :)

Reactions: JohnM100 and veeeight
Looks like one of those badly photoshopped celebrity selfies.

Or who ever built that barrier needs a spirit level.

What I don't understand is, if this is normal for a A3/S3 then why was it not evident in the 2 I sat in in the showroom? Very poor show if it is right though.

@Ignition1 - I don't think the council round here even know what a spirit level is. But for once it's actually not their fault. lol

we have the same problem in our RS3 and the same distortion :)

Our S3 has not this issue , matter of bad QC.

regards

Well the issue is currently with Audi Customer Service, so let's see what outcome that brings. :)

So a brief update and I just had to share this nuggett with you.

It's still with Audi customer service and they contacted me yesterday. And the solution they have come up with after 4 weeks of waiting is....! Fit another windscreen. Hooray what a solution, why didn't I think of it? But this time it's different because they are going to check it first, surely this is part of quality control and why we pay extra for so called premium brands, but hey ho. They will then track it from the factory to the dealer to ensure it's not been damaged in transit and then fit it to my car. Am I happy and positive of this solution, you bet your **** I'm not. :)

So the classic bit. After a few phone calls with Audi customer service I decided to send my contact some pictures so he can appreciate what I'm discussing. So yesterday half way through the conversation, he mentioned the pictureas so here's what happened.

Me - 'So, you've seen the pictures then as you never confirmed you'd received them'
Him - 'Yes Mr jones, we have them and I've had a look. But to be honest I can't see the problem you're having as the fence is so crooked it's difficult to see the dip you described. But as you said it's harder to see in a picture'
Me - 'No, you don't get it. That fence is perfectly straight. The fence post that looks like it's falling over is perfectly verticle. This is the effect I'm seeing and is what the windscreen is causing'
Him - 'Oh I see. Wow that is really bad then and I can see why it would be driving you mad'

Oh ***....! No wonder I'm not getting anywhere, they think I've deliberately driven around my home town to find the most crooked fence to take a picture of. :wtf:

Reactions: Simon L and veeeight