S3 wheel spacers. Have I gone too big?

Rrobson

Reaction score
Since buying my s3, I have always been a little disappointed by the wheels looking a little lost in the arches. I am happy with the height of the standard suspension but wasn't with the wheels.

So yesterday I made a pair of 20mm and a pair if 10mm spacers.

So I've fitted the rears today but I don't know if I've overdone it a bit.
Since fitting I've read that 12mm on the rear is the preferred size for oem wheels so I may take a bit off them.
Colleagues who have seen say it looks miles better but it may grow on me.

Anyway, here's some comparisons, see what you think.

Before

After

20mm is bang on. Matches the front now imho

I have a set of 12mm kicking around the garage, after seeing this im definatly getting some 20mms for the back too! Just right imo!

Reactions: Westy
looking good!!! i've got 12 all around. but after seeing this i wish i went at least for 15 for the back.

they do look good
but 25 would look even better

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to have a good look I the morning but I do t think the pics really do it justice... They looked totally different one side to the other while fitting.

Bez, 25's would probably take them right to the edge of the arch but I wouldn't expect to get any passengers in the back incase the wheels started rubbing on it!

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to have a good look I the morning but I do t think the pics really do it justice... They looked totally different one side to the other while fitting.

Bez, 25's would probably take them right to the edge of the arch but I wouldn't expect to get any passengers in the back incase the wheels started rubbing on it!

I done something different but it'll give you an idea... I put wider wheels on mine with a lower offset.. But mine stick out 17mm from the standard wheels and I think it is just right!

Reactions: Westy and warren_S5
As a safety thought, and I'm sure you've thought of it too but I hope you've got longer wheel bolts.

Jacko, that looks perfect. I think that's where I'd like mine to stop. Wheels really suit your car but I actually like the standard wheels on mine. Think 15mm would be better for me.

Smurfworth, I wouldn't even consider using standard bolts on any spacer. Not that standard bolts would even start...

I bought 50mm bolts, but got sent 60mm? Chopped them down at work but something to check when buying. Could you imagine if they were 10mm short...

By looking at the table in the pic of the spacer I guessed you were and engineer of some sort hence why I thought you'd had considered it, but you never know with some people haha.

But yea, I could imagine some daft person having them tightened by 2 or 3 threads.

My opinion on the matter is I'd prefer to do what jacko does, wide wheels and a low offset. Fills the space better. Bit looks fine otherwise.

Reactions: Westy
Standard bolts are 27mm length so just add the thickness to them, for the bolts you need.
Or if going 20mm use the spacers that bolt to the hub, then the wheel bolts to the spacer and means you use the original bolts and lockers

You made these yourself, If so, then very impressive, well done :)

Looks bang on m8!

And a little cheeky turning and drilling exercise lol

I've done exactly what Jacko did, same wheels (they're 8j et43) and added a 5mm spacer in the back. Getting a set of pss10s on the car next week, so it 'll look pretty much how his car does, which is great. Thanks for sharing the pic Jacko,I now know I made the right choice.

That said, I get some rubbing at the back but that's probably down to the spacer, but since I like the poke, I'll try to trim the little screw that's responsible for it and hopefully it'll be gone.

I reckon an 8j et42-45 wheel, or equal with spacers, will give no rubbing and most aftermarket wheel makers recommend this spec for our cars.