S3 wheel colour change?

wab172uk

Now in an X3 M40i And a Yaris GR-Four
Reaction score
I've recently had 3 wheels refurbished. I kerbed one, and Audi paid for the rear 2 after it looked liked they were damaged while it was with them for 7 weeks while my new engine was awaiting fitting.

Upon collecting the car I noticed the refurbished wheels looked darker around the edges. Unfortunately my remaining wheel was covered in brake dust, and I was in a rush as I was leaving for my holiday that morning. Wheels washed, there is a difference in colour. Does anyone know if the standard S3 alloys changed colour slightly from 2015 to present? Some pics attached.

I'm sure they were never that dark, and surely wheel colours don't lighten over time?

What do people think?

Front wheel
Rear Wheel

Most refurb places struggle to match the factory colour and finish. They can get close but it’s never a perfect match.
I’m struggling to find anywhere to do my wheels. Tyre place scratched the inside of the wheels so paying to refurb 3 but I can’t seem to find anywhere that can get that factory finish. Don’t want 1 of my wheels to look different to the others. Might have to stump up and pay for the 4th.

Reactions: BrummieLad
I've recently had 3 wheels refurbished. I kerbed one, and Audi paid for the rear 2 after it looked liked they were damaged while it was with them for 7 weeks while my new engine was awaiting fitting.

Upon collecting the car I noticed the refurbished wheels looked darker around the edges. Unfortunately my remaining wheel was covered in brake dust, and I was in a rush as I was leaving for my holiday that morning. Wheels washed, there is a difference in colour. Does anyone know if the standard S3 alloys changed colour slightly from 2015 to present? Some pics attached.

I'm sure they were never that dark, and surely wheel colours don't lighten over time?

What do people think?

View attachment 190570 View attachment 190571

As @AlS3BE has said no one can match the OEM colour, not even if you have it to Audi themselves (most contract it out anyway) one of the reasons I bought a new unmarked set rather go for the refurb option.

It’s the same colour and shade from 2013- present.

I had no issue with colour on a wheel I had refurbished two years ago on the same style of alloy, it was spot on to my eyes. This refurb shop is huge and that is all they do and they disdain mobile repair shops work, as not up to their standards of finish repair and after seeing their refurbish shop area, I can understand why.

Well I'm not too happy. I was preparing the car for sale. Now I have an odd colour wheel.

Maybe it get's picked up by the potential new owner, maybe it doesn't. But if it does it's making (to me anyway) that the car is a wrong-un. New engine, 3 alloys refurbished, and one odd colour.

Really sick of the car now. Just want rid.