S3 wheel change, compatibility?

Jud

Reaction score
Morning all,

My S3 has 19's on it, which all require refurbishing so instead of messing about I was going to buy a replacement set, fit them then refurb mine and sell.

Mine are currently 8Jx19, ET49, 5x112 (I think) with 235/35/19 tyres

I've found a set off of a TT which are E9Jx19H2, ET52 with 245/35/19 tyres on

Will these fit also will I get any problems due to the wheels being slightly different?

Thanks

That new set would be almost 2cm closer to the suspension, I would suggest a test before purchase. Of course a spacer would keep you in the clear. The tire size difference is minimal so no worries there

Reactions: Jud
That new set would be almost 2cm closer to the suspension, I would suggest a test before purchase. Of course a spacer would keep you in the clear. The tire size difference is minimal so no worries there

Thanks for the information, last thing I wanted was to pull the wheels in more, was hoping for the opposite effect.

Keep looking for a mint same spec set I guess, or bite the bullet on the £360 cost to refurb mine

Use THIS SITE which should give you and idea what the difference will be.

Reactions: Lehn
That new set would be almost 2cm closer to the suspension
Wrong.

The wheels will be 3mm closer to the suspension 52 vs 49 ET.

My winter wheels are ET 51 with no contact so ET52 should be fine.

I assume the OP intends to use 235/35/19 tyres so that will give a nice little stretch.

No. The new wheel is also 1 inch wider than the original. So that makes already 12, 5mm and then there is the 3mm in ET. That comes 15,5mm and then there is the 10mm in the tire width. So that calculates very close to 20mm.
But also the outer rim will also stick out 12,5mm plus tire.
My point is that it could touch the suspension.
In Mike's link it is correct without the tire.

Wider yes but what you stated was wrong with regard to the wheel being closer to the suspension

Anyway 9" TT rims with fit a saloon on the same tyre size as the originals (235/35s)

Wider yes but what you stated was wrong with regard to the wheel being closer to the suspension

Anyway 9" TT rims with fit a saloon on the same tyre size as the originals (235/35s)

The wheel, both rim and rubber, will be closer to the suspension. ET is from the centreline and not from the inside of the rim. The rim will be exactly 15,5mm closer to the suspension with both the wheel offset and rim width taken into account, as @makelja also describes.

Check this: https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...ct2=35&wheel_size=19&wheel_width=9&offset2=52

48480FBD 98DD 44CF 96BD 89FB90AC1637

Last edited:
Reactions: makelja