S3 - What Milage Before New Tyres Are Required

Frizzley

Staff member
Reaction score
Local dealership did a health check on the wife's S3 yesterday when it was in for some warranty work and they reported that all four Bridgestone tyres were 55% worn (4.5mm remaining) which came as a bit of a surprise given the car is just 6 months old and has only done 3300 miles. Wear is even across each tyre and back and front.

In comparison after 14000 miles my S5 has 3mm remaining on the fronts and 4.5mm on the rears I know there are lots of variables impacting tyre life, but this seemed really excessive to me given the car isn’t driven hard.

What milage are other S3 owners getting before needing to change tyres.

I would go check them as well to see if the garage are right or just guessing.

I would go check them as well to see if the garage are right or just guessing.
unfortunately they are correct - they sent a video of the measurements being taken and the readings on the tread depth gauge

I've had 15k each off my 2 previous sets of P zeros on my S3 8V .
That wear seems excessive for the mileage and time you've had it

put a 20p coin in the grooves (and not on the wear indicator bumps), how much of the coin edge lip can you see? if you can see the inner edge of the lip, then yea it's 3mm or less. If you cannot see the inner lip at any angle, then it's def more than 3mm.

Wait, the car was from factory or you received it or it was bought from showroom / ex demo etc?

Generally these type of tyres on these type of cars can last to around 8-10k miles tyre wise if driven normally and not on a track

Last edited:
Just had my S3 in for it's 2 year service, done 10,500 miles.
It has Pirellis, and the measured tread depths are 3.8mm on the front, and 4.6mm on the back.

Reactions: Frizzley
Depends how you drive and the type of roads you drive on.
At my first service my tyres are at 2.8mm front mileage is 18000 the tyres are bridgestone on a 35 TDI
The Audi assistant said the wear was surprisingly good. I guess that means 1200-1800 would be typical?? on an S or RS i imaginge about half that but that's me guessing.
I travel on all types of roads and really poor condition tracks in the middle of nowhere extensively, but do long journeys most days.

I think what has happened is that the dealership has assumed the original tread was deeper than it was when new. I had Bridgestones on my ID3, they came from the factory with 5.9mm rather than 7.4 or 8mm you'd expect. If yours were the same, they've worn just 1.4mm,which still seems high for 3300 miles. Bridgestone tyres are abysmal anyway, I'd be looking to bin them at the earliest opportunity.

Is this a common theme for cars to come from the factory with less tread depth than a replacement tyre? I'm having to replace the front tyres (Pirelli) on my wife's A3 40e and on my Merc GLA (Michelin) after 8k miles - both just had 2nd service. Our previous cars S3 8V and BMW X1 both were 3 years old, similar mileage and traded in and both had plenty of tread left? I can't remember the last time I had to replace tyres on a brand new car.