Facelift S3: What is your oil temp?

allanmb

Coming from a 3.2 A4 and a 2.0TDI A4, my oil temps were always bang on 90C. I've noticed in the S3 that the temp is usually between 100C and 107C. Is this normal? And that is not spirited driving either as I'm still running it in ;-)

azibux1

My S3 is regularly around 100 once warmed up

Shouldn't be anything to worry about

Don't have the page number to hand but it is actually mentioned in the manual as well that even over 100 (don't remember if it had a specific figure) is fine during spirited driving (I understand you said you're still driving steady), but even steady, about 90 is fine

Brasso

Mines usually between 103 and 109

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RS200Z

Does anyone know if adding an oil cooler would be a bad idea as it would be below this 3rd gen EA888 engine's optimal operating efficiency.

Svenedin

Just chanced upon this thread. Was wondering about my oil temp which is usually 100-105. Noticed a reduced in temp after changing the oil. Was running about 2 degrees hotter before change to fresh oil. They certainly do run quite hot these engines but it's normal.

AndyKnight

106 here, did drop to 96 when I was running an older racing line map but back to 106 now i'm on an updated map.

HertS3

Manual says between 80 and 120 C is normal operating temperature (PFL)

Boydie

S3 8V DSG
VCDS Map User
Flip I’ve never seen mine in the 100’s, most is 92 I think

Svenedin

Boydie

S3 8V DSG
VCDS Map User
Are you sure that's not water temp?

I will check but I use the lap timer option on the DIS to see temps unless there is another way I am not familiar with??

Svenedin

I will check but I use the lap timer option on the DIS to see temps unless there is another way I am not familiar with??

I'm not sure. I have VC and both oil and water temps are displayed.

Boydie

S3 8V DSG
VCDS Map User
I am PFL and its 100% oil temp that shows at the top of the lap timer on the DIS and I have never seen it above 95 degrees

Adam14

On long drives the most I've seen is around 95-97 degrees, never seen 100+

HertS3

Mine (PFL) was on 106 this morning on the school run. Surely it depends what oil you're running; mine's Petronas

ohmyaudi

I live in London and when I'm sat in traffic moving slowly it can reach 109 sometimes. Average 105 when driving hard.

Pook

108 in traffic, 104 ish spirited driving, high 90’s all other times (FL)