S3 vs TT

Chris4410

Reaction score
Hey all,

I’ve always liked the current generation TT, in fact I did have one briefly (long story) before I bought my current S3.

My S3 will be 3 years old in March and as always I am getting itchy feet to change it, I still really enjoy the car but it’s coming up on 40k miles and if I keep it I will need to extend the warranty etc.

I called into the launch of the face lift TT last week and instantly loved the look of a turbo blue car they have as a demo, it’s the new 245bhp sline model (which is the one I would be ordering).

I am calling down this coming Saturday to take a test drive, unfortunately I think the new TTS will be beyond my budget but I have already been give some figures on the sline model and it actually seems like a good deal.

My main worry is it won’t have the sense of occasion or feel as special now I have had the S model car, I’m curious to know if anyone else has made a similar change or is considering one.

Cheers,
Chris

Reactions: Audi Bairn and KenL
Hey all,

I’ve always liked the current generation TT, in fact I did have one briefly (long story) before I bought my current S3.

My S3 will be 3 years old in March and as always I am getting itchy feet to change it, I still really enjoy the car but it’s coming up on 40k miles and if I keep it I will need to extend the warranty etc.

I called into the launch of the face lift TT last week and instantly loved the look of a turbo blue car they have as a demo, it’s the new 245bhp sline model (which is the one I would be ordering).

I am calling down this coming Saturday to take a test drive, unfortunately I think the new TTS will be beyond my budget but I have already been give some figures on the sline model and it actually seems like a good deal.

My main worry is it won’t have the sense of occasion or feel as special now I have had the S model car, I’m curious to know if anyone else has made a similar change or is considering one.

Cheers,
Chris
I went from an S3 to an S-line A5 coupe, I prefer the looks of the A5 but do miss the quattro at times...but not enough to switch back and pay more.

As for the FL TT :):):) I like it and would change if the price was right...but not for the S-line!!! How about the Black Edition???? ;)

Reactions: Bristle Hound, DW81, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
245bhp TT. That should be a great car to own. Go for it. You can always go back to a new model S3 in another 3 years.

I went from an S3 to an S-line A5 coupe, I prefer the looks of the A5 but do miss the quattro at times...but not enough to switch back and pay more.

As for the FL TT :):):) I like it and would change if the price was right...but not for the S-line!!! How about the Black Edition???? ;)

View attachment 174943 View attachment 174944 View attachment 174945

I had actually went in the intention of getting a black edition, but after seeing the turbo blue with the silver accents on it I thought it really suited it.

And the BE is 2k more than the sline, I don’t think it’s worth that based on what you get.

And the BE is 2k more than the sline, I don’t think it’s worth that based on what you get.
Don't let the 2k extra put you off, I recall doing a quote on an S3 and a BE S3, the BE came in not much more per month, as the future value was higher.

As an example using the set figures from Audi (TT isn't up to compare):

A3sline
A3be

Problem is the TT needs several options ticked in order to have the spec I want, adding another 2k for a BE isn’t really an option and TBH I would rather have the other options vs some black trim parts and I’m actually not a fan of the BE wheels either.

Reactions: Kondax
Problem is the TT needs several options ticked in order to have the spec I want, adding another 2k for a BE isn’t really an option and TBH I would rather have the other options vs some black trim parts and I’m actually not a fan of the BE wheels either.
Yeah I know what you're saying and that's your choice ;)

But my point is for anyone looking at a BE (any car) the BE costs a couple of k more on average, but it's not as much more extra pm as you would expect!!! Going on the example above for an extra £5 per month you get-

In addition to S line, the Black Edition trim highlights include:
  • 18” ‘10-spoke’ design alloy wheels in matt titanium look
  • Black Styling Pack
  • Privacy Glass
  • Audi Sound System
I bet if you added those onto a non BE car it would bump the price up by more than £5 per month :)

Yeah but the basic price of the sline TT is about 11k more than those A3s, put the options on it I want and it’s more like 43k a BE with same options will be touching 46k, on a PCP deal that is way more than 5pm, every 1k is around 25pm.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I came from the pre facelift 3rd gen TT, it was a manual TDI ultra, loved it and would happily go back to the TT. Make sure you upgrade the stereo though, the basic one was terrible.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Chris4410
One word go for it................ av seen Turbo Blue with own eyes and this colour with chrome on a TT....is ok as theres only the grille surround in chrome,TT is more of a drivers car....but **** me they are over priced especially when you start adding options

Ps laugh you may but the TT cab is the better looking car

Yeah but the basic price of the sline TT is about 11k more than those A3s, put the options on it I want and it’s more like 43k a BE with same options will be touching 46k, on a PCP deal that is way more than 5pm, every 1k is around 25pm.
Yeah I know every £1k of extras adds around £25 to the monthly price, but you are still missing my point about a BE vs a non BE!

OK NOT YOU someone else thinks I'd like the Black Edition of an A3, A4, A5, TT etc. without any other options, but they think the extra £££ for the BE over the non BE will make it out of their monthly spends...not always the case!

*Using their basic site figure:

A basic S-line A4 2.0 petrol s-tronic = £35,255
A basic Black Edition A4 2.0 petrol s-tronic = £36,755 so you'd assume this cars monthly payments would be more as it costs an extra £1,500 yes?

Wrong, you would pay an extra £150 deposit for the BE, but the monthly payments are £1.65 less, x 35 = £57.75 over the term.

Now take that saving away from your initial £150 extra deposit for the BE £150-£57.75 = £92.25

So having the BE which is a more expensive car by £1,500 has only cost you £92.25 over 35 months = £2.63 per month.

A4sline
A4be

It's all about how much the car loses over the time you have it!!! It's like the S3, you could have an S3 for almost the same price as a top end normal A3, as the S3 holds its price better! :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Chris4410 and KenL
Buy the car and enjoy it, options are not a necessity.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
This is a tough call.

S3 is a great practical powerful car with Quattro.

The TT is a great looking & handling car.

You WILL miss 4 wheel drive for sure. On those damp wet days when you can easily get the power down ... but you will enjoy the great handling & fuel economy of the TT.

As long as you go in knowing the pros & cons you should really enjoy the TT. Looks great in turbo blue too.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and KenL
My wife has the mk3 Quattro s tronic tt and I have the 310 S3 so can make pretty direct comparisons.

TT is more composed at speed and turns in better.
Exhaust and dsg farts are much louder on the tt (although new setup with ppf apparently is really quiet and has lost the surge of torque at low revs)
Throttle response and performance from the smaller turbo engine is better under normal driving. (again ppf may have changed that)
Insurance is half what the s3 is

S3 has much nicer steering feel, I like the heavy feel and the tt is much lighter
I prefer the interior on the s3 although they are both stunning imo
S3 is quicker when you're above 4k
Much better standard spec on the s3. Tech pack and comfort pack which you need on the tt cost approx 3-4k and the b&o is better with the sub in the s3.
S3 gets more attention

They're both great cars and I enjoy driving both but for me I'd take the s3 every time if I could only have one

Reactions: Chris4410
One word go for it................ av seen Turbo Blue with own eyes and this colour with chrome on a TT....is ok as theres only the grille surround in chrome,TT is more of a drivers car....but **** me they are over priced especially when you start adding options

Ps laugh you may but the TT cab is the better looking car

It’s going to be the same monthly as the S3 plus a fairly small deposit, it’s the only reason I am considering it to be honest.

This is a tough call.

S3 is a great practical powerful car with Quattro.

The TT is a great looking & handling car.

You WILL miss 4 wheel drive for sure. On those damp wet days when you can easily get the power down ... but you will enjoy the great handling & fuel economy of the TT.

As long as you go in knowing the pros & cons you should really enjoy the TT. Looks great in turbo blue too.

It will be a Quattro stronic TT so pretty much the same drive train as the S3.

My wife has the mk3 Quattro s tronic tt and I have the 310 S3 so can make pretty direct comparisons.

TT is more composed at speed and turns in better.
Exhaust and dsg farts are much louder on the tt (although new setup with ppf apparently is really quiet and has lost the surge of torque at low revs)
Throttle response and performance from the smaller turbo engine is better under normal driving. (again ppf may have changed that)
Insurance is half what the s3 is

S3 has much nicer steering feel, I like the heavy feel and the tt is much lighter
I prefer the interior on the s3 although they are both stunning imo
S3 is quicker when you're above 4k
Much better standard spec on the s3. Tech pack and comfort pack which you need on the tt cost approx 3-4k and the b&o is better with the sub in the s3.
S3 gets more attention

They're both great cars and I enjoy driving both but for me I'd take the s3 every time if I could only have one

I have read the sound in the TT (and all other cars) has been affected by this new emissions regulation, one of the reason I am going to drive one before I make any decisions. I actually prefer the interior of the TT, it even seems to be better put together than the S3.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I agree with @S32B - when you take out PCP it's much better to get a higher spec base model than adding individual options on. I've got a Mini Cooper Countryman where I added almost every option going and they mean diddly squat at the end of the lease. I ended up buying the car early anyway so didn't matter as much, but I learned that it works out much cheaper to get the packs rather than individual options. I probably could've got the Cooper S with Chilli pack etc for similar monthly payments if I'd have checked properly, but obviously the final (balloon) payment would have been higher, which is only a consideration if you're thinking of owning the car at the end of the lease.

Reactions: S32B
Problem is it’s the comfort & sound pack plus the tech pack I want, these are not standard with The sline or BE so either way I would be adding them. IMO the car needs them, I have both packs on my S3.

Problem is it’s the comfort & sound pack plus the tech pack I want, these are not standard with The sline or BE so either way I would be adding them. IMO the car needs them, I have both packs on my S3.

They are both a must, I didn’t have comfort and sound on mine, the sound system really was terrible, so bad that a friend thought the speakers had blown.

Tech Pack is v expensive considering the TT has VC as standard but again is a must for the nav etc.

I agree with @S32B - when you take out PCP it's much better to get a higher spec base model than adding individual options on. I've got a Mini Cooper Countryman where I added almost every option going and they mean diddly squat at the end of the lease. I ended up buying the car early anyway so didn't matter as much, but I learned that it works out much cheaper to get the packs rather than individual options. I probably could've got the Cooper S with Chilli pack etc for similar monthly payments if I'd have checked properly, but obviously the final (balloon) payment would have been higher, which is only a consideration if you're thinking of owning the car at the end of the lease.
Exactly mate :) When I took my pcp S3 for a px price they didn't even ask what options it had, they just used the BCA price on a basic S3.

I've found if you are doing a straight lease and add an option/s, the monthly price increases to cover the cost of that option/s over the term, so the only person benefiting is the second buyer, as you are just handing the car back at the end.

Fair play and I agree the TT does need a few things to get it right, as you have already said expect to pay £25 extra for each £1,000 but I still say adding the same options to both the s-line and BE, the total amount per month to pay on both wouldn't be far from each other!

Reactions: HertS3 and Chris4410
Just go for it, it is better looking than an S3 and handles better. Screw the Audi sat/nav and use Android Auto displayed on the MMI, it is way better navigation system with frequent updates.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and TYb
Like most has said already the TT needs a few options.
I was looking for a tts when I got the s3.
Tech pack was a must and whatever the other option it is you get the climate controls within the vents. I found it very cool with the digital display in the vent.
By the time I was finished the TTS was quite a few grand more to equivalent s3 and payments was over £100 more per month with same deposit. It was s5 money which I think is a bit better.
Also Sensible side of me said get the s3 as with a young child I need a boot that can carry his stuff but I did like the tt.
At the time the TTS only came with the older 6 speed dsg so not sure if that’s changed to the 7 speed. Don’t know which is better as never driven the 6 speed only the 7 speed in the s3.

Just go for it, it is better looking than an S3 and handles better. Screw the Audi sat/nav and use Android Auto displayed on the MMI, it is way better navigation system with frequent updates.

That was my plan, however Audi being dicks you cannot spec the smart phone interface without the tech pack. This means being able to use android auto or apple CarPlay will cost you £1800.

Like most has said already the TT needs a few options.
I was looking for a tts when I got the s3.
Tech pack was a must and whatever the other option it is you get the climate controls within the vents. I found it very cool with the digital display in the vent.
By the time I was finished the TTS was quite a few grand more to equivalent s3 and payments was over £100 more per month with same deposit. It was s5 money which I think is a bit better.
Also Sensible side of me said get the s3 as with a young child I need a boot that can carry his stuff but I did like the tt.
At the time the TTS only came with the older 6 speed dsg so not sure if that’s changed to the 7 speed. Don’t know which is better as never driven the 6 speed only the 7 speed in the s3.

The TT now has the 7 speed as well, the practicality does concern me a bit. There are rarely more than 2 people in the car but occasionally there would be a third.

The TT now has the 7 speed as well, the practicality does concern me a bit. There are rarely more than 2 people in the car but occasionally there would be a third.

Never had a 3rd person in the tt, it would be cruel to put someone in there. Def a 2 seater. The boot is massive though and seats drop completely flat in an instant so is a great load carrier

Reactions: Chris4410 and TYb
Never had a 3rd person in the tt, it would be cruel to put someone in there. Def a 2 seater. The boot is massive though and seats drop completely flat in an instant so is a great load carrier

For 2 people it’s essily big enough? As above the boot is huge with seats down.

That was my plan, however Audi being dicks you cannot spec the smart phone interface without the tech pack. This means being able to use android auto or apple CarPlay will cost you £1800.

Audi UK really know how to screw you on their packages and dealer servicing costs. :wtf:

Reactions: Ron240

Really! Android Auto and carplay interface are standard on a1 and a3.

Really! Android Auto and carplay interface are standard on a1 and a3.

Yes, really.

The smart phone interface is £400, however when you tick the option it tells you in order to select it you must also add the tech pack which is £1400.

Yes, really.

The smart phone interface is £400, however when you tick the option it tells you in order to select it you must also add the tech pack which is £1400.
Well that is a total joke and enough to put me off buying one.

You don’t get climate unless you pay £550 for dials or £1500 Ish for comfort pack. I did read you can have CarPlay activated by the clever retrofitters

You don’t get climate unless you pay £550 for dials or £1500 Ish for comfort pack. I did read you can have CarPlay activated by the clever retrofitters

Audi really do take the pi** with some of the prices they charge for options.

Climate control in an S Line TT costing nearly £40k should be standard :whip:

Reactions: Ron240 and TYb

Re the climate the aircon as standard works perfectly well, you just don’t have the digital controls but you almost have to tick the sound and comfort option as the stereo really is that bad, it’s the worst I’ve heard in a modern car.

When we looked at the TT my wife tried getting into the back with the passenger seat forward...no chance....she's 5ft 8 and size 10-12 so not massive. The salesguy came over and said you are only allowed (and I'm sure he said ) a person weighing no more than 35kg in the back anyway!!! Not sure how true that is?!?!

When we looked at the TT my wife tried getting into the back with the passenger seat forward...no chance....she's 5ft 8 and size 10-12 so not massive. The salesguy came over and said you are only allowed (and I'm sure he said ) a person weighing no more than 35kg in the back anyway!!! Not sure how true that is?!?!
35kg!! My leg probably weighs more than that :wink:

Reactions: MikeParkin and S32B

I got in the back and I’m 5 ft 8 as well, not saying I would want to spend more than 15 minutes in it but I was able to get in and out.

I got in the back and I’m 5 ft 8 as well, not saying I would want to spend more than 15 minutes in it but I was able to get in and out.
Must have been her clothes and shoes restricting her then lol.