S3 vs TQ alignment

Drill

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
What's the difference between the S3 and the TQ alignment settings? I'm getting Bilstein B8's, H&R Sport Springs and Forge rear control arms fitted to the TQ on Thursday and was wondering if things might handle better if I have the alignment set to as close to S3 spec as possible.

Any ideas?

Thx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

i have just fitted that exact set up as it is Glen's recommended set up. he said to put all the spec as normal but put 1 degree negative camber on the front and 0.5 neg on the rear

Nope, just the rears, but I was hoping he could get it close /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif Just not sure if I should even ask him to try and get it to S3 spec /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

didnt change the fronts, just got it as close to. its at about 3/4 of a degree so im happy..

OK, cool. Thx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm going in tonight (Got about US$1300 worth of suspension bits in the boot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) So I'll ask him to get the rears to S3 spec and the fronts as close as possible.

Sound about right?

Sure will /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Dropped her off last night so that Dude can start working this morning. He's also putting in some Poly Bushes in the front control arms, tossing in a 20mm front ARB (1mm increase) and while he's at it, changing the steering rack bush for the Powerflex one that Rich hooked me up with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif So once everything's done.... I expect her to handle BETTER than new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh yeah, and pics will definately be posted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

"Catching up" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Dude, please.... All I did was get the suspension sorted, still no Samco's. Intake, Downpipe, Cats and transmission are all std.... should I go on?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif (Me..Jealous??? Noooo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

WTF!!??? The Frau just got the bill and it's €800 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

And that's mostly LABOR??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

We went to this guy cause they said they only charged €40 / Hour and yet the Bill comes out to be 2X what Audi wanted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Any ideas??

Apparently, the front ARB was a PITA to fit. The drivers side front brake rotor retaining screw was sheared, so the had to replace it, etc. etc. But it's alright I guess. We went in and the mechanic showed me all that they did, and (Unfortunately) it was all required work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The short drive home felt friggin SWEET though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Gonna give it a bit of go this weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

The weather's been crap dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif But that's OK, I have 112kms in the morning to see what I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Something just doesn't look right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif The driver's side rear spring seems "Wrong" somehow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Here's the passenger side (Looks OK to my untrained eye)

467527-EPSN0014.JPG

The 3 center coils are together, with a slight gap on top and bottom.

Now here's the Driver's side....

467527-EPSN0009.JPG

It looks a bit "off", so I took a closer pic....

467527-EPSN0016.JPG

And it looks like there are FOUR coils together in the center, and the top (smaller) coil appears to be dropped down into the center /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Could this just be because the springs aren't both facing the same way?? Or could this be a problem? I noticed on Friday once I got home, that one side seemed lower in the rear than the other, but that has since settled (as best I can tell)

Anyway, should I stress this? Or does it look OK?

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Checked the H&R site and got:
29438-1 Audi A3 Quattro (8L) incl. S3
color red, lowering [mm] 25, year: from: 03.1999

So the part number is correct?? I've PM'ed David R to see what he thinks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thx again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Drill - mine are similar, but I'm away from the car currently.

I'll try and have a proper look tommorrow and if I can get a picture for you I'll post it up.

Right I have had a look at mine - sorry no pictures.

As I thought from the last time I had them out the springs sit in the same position R + L - that is to say that whilst you would image them to sit side specifically, in real terms they are exactly the same each side so that on the passenger side spring I see 3 coils and drivers side 4 (approx).

When I had them out last time (due to uneven ride height) I remember looking at them and thinking that the spring must have twisted - but on removal and reinstallation there really is only one way.

The centre coils are pretty much on top of each other too, with air seen only at the smaller coils at the end. Pretty much as your's look drill except mine are powerdercoated and covered in mud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So in summary your's look much the same as those of my car, but given the conderable euro abuse on the Frau's CC - I would still be tempted to get the grease monkey to check if you thought the handling was out or ride height uneven. Assuming they work well (as they should) then relax and enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

David.

Well, they FEEL great dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif
And the € abuse turned out to be justified /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif It turns out that the little stuff (i.e. rear ball joints, front control arm bushes, 20mm front ARB, etc) added up to about 3-4 hours more than expected. The mechanics were actually nice enough to stay after closing and show us exactly what they did and why it was so much more than we expected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

My main worry was that the springs didn't look quite right to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif So thank you very much for some "Peace of Mind" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now I can worry about getting the damned engine running properly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif