S3 vs Punto GT - Some opinions on what the S3 had pls

Reaction score
Hi

I am a punto owner who was registered to find out about S3's and more about them. Since then I have seen the buyers guide and spoken to a few more people about it and it has all been helpful for me.

The reason why I am posting is because I had a blat with an S3 owner a few weeks ago who claimed his was chipped with a superchip.

During our conversation he said that he had nothing else apart from the chip and that he was running 275hp. After looking at the specs on some other cars here I think that he may have been lying. Has anyone here got a superchip and have any idea on what his torque / bhp figures could have been? He claimed he had only done the chip and nothing else.

We level pegging when on a rolling start upto about 110 - 115, hence why I am disputing his power claim.

Any comments would be greatly appeciated as after this blat I am considering keeping the Punto for a few years before I upgrade to a bigger car.

Pummy

He's certainly telling porkies, although he might not know it. 260BHP would be more realistic. Is your car modified? Although the S3 is a bloater, it should still beat a standard Punto GT even without a superchip.

My car is modified. With pressure @ 18psi, without an aftermarket exhaust, chip, front mount IC I got 160hp / ~180ft/lbs weighing in at 1000kg. Have yet to get it checked on an RR but would guess a little higher bhp but larger torque increase.

I am interested in what the superchip gains would have been. Assuming 260 hp as you say, I would still of expected it to have given me a hard time but it was not as harsh as I had expected. Standing start I can totally understand since I cannot get power down but when rolling? Surely that high a transmission loss is not possible or the weight of the car has that much of an impact when we are accelerating?

I have looked around and thought that the 250hp mark is what S3's are getting to with an average map / chip / modification plan.

I was chuffed that night to say the least but would like to know if that feeling was well deserved or not.

My S3 weighs over 1400kg. As you say, 250bhp is more realistic so with the weight and the transmission loss with 4wd probably means that (as you proved) the cars are quite evenly matched in a straight line and from a rolling start.

The S3 is a quick car but I would not say it was a really fast car. The thing that makes the S3 so special is the combination of decent performance, safety, comfort and quality that makes it a great all rounder.

The decent all rounder is the part that appeals to me. I am very happy with my car BUT it would be nice to have a comfortable car, esp electric recaros on smoe models I am led to believe.

Thanks for the input, it has cleared this up. If you ever see a light blue Punto GT around the A4 between Heathrow / Brentford, do toot!

Pummy

Electric recaros are standard on all s3's.
Like everyone has been saying there a resonable fast car with great build quality and interior.If you want performance bargains then go for something japanese like a scooby sti or mr2 turbo.