S3 V Golf R

kev-s

Reaction score
Hi guys

Currently driving a 2006 B7 A4 avant 2.0T special edition (220bhp)

Thinking of getting something newer and a little smaller

Like the idea of a 2013 onwards S3 or a 2014 Golf R

Anyone tried both and then decided on the S3?

What made you choose the S3?

Hoping to test drive both in the near future but want to get some feedback from other beforehand

Back then the golf R was the better drive ie handling performance was the same though

I looked at the golf r but as soon as I sat in one I knew it was not for me, never drove it but I couldn’t live with the interior. Maybe if your 20 it will suit you and there pretty much an S3 in all non astatic ways. I ended up with a saloon and never regretted it...

Before I got my s3 I looked at the golf r, focus rs and civic type r. All more or less similar priced.
I decided on the s3 as it just felt that bit more special inside. The finish and in general all the bits just felt that bit higher quality. Golf r was nice too just that wee bit behind the s3. Focus and civic drove really well, I especially loved that civic but the interior just didn’t do it for me and similarly the focus. I would say if you a hot hatch these 2 are the best out there.
Back to the vag cars.
Wasn’t a huge amount between the golf and s3, although I felt like I sat lower to the ground in the golf than the s3. Could be just a perception thing.
In the end I got the s3 as I managed to get the most discount on it, vw garage wasn’t offering much discount to sticker price.
This is all on the current facelift and the golf 7.5.
Think the golf was only a 6 speed dsg as well compared to the 7 speed on the s3 but if you are looking at a 2013/14 then the s3 I think would be the same 6 speed.

Cheers for the replies guys

Looks like Ive hit a snag with the Golf R and the S3

So im a mountain biker with an E-mtb which currently goes in the back of my B7 A4 Avant

So not to get the new car dirty/ruined by lifting in a 50lb bike every few days i was going to get a towbar fitted for a towbar bike rack

But it seems towbars cant be fitted to the Golf R or the S3 and due to the weight of the bike a roof rack or tailgate mounted rack are out of the question

A 2nd car/van for bike duties is out of the question due to parking/running cost of two vehicles

So it looks like ill have to have a re think

Why not just get a boot liner so the bike doesn't dirty the car? Would be easier to get into the sportback then the saloon mind.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I originally looked at the golf R, but after looking at the S3 and then driving both numerous times, I chose the Audi... the fit & finish on the Audi is much nicer, it handles better (less body roll)..all in all it’s just a nicer car

Will be a sportback S3 although the saloons do look nice

Did think about boot liners but even with one fitted you can still damage the roof lining and the mud/water seems to find away out

Much rather keep the bike outside of the car to minimise any chance of damage, plus lifting a 50lb bike in and out after doing a 30 odd mile ride is getting to be a pain in the back (literately)

Still going to try and test drive both, read somewhere last night the Golf R can physically have a towbar fitted but cant be used for towing anything as it has a zero load rating but a bike rack is fine

Presume this is true also for the S3 so going to do a bit of research and see what i can find out

Reactions: Adam14
I think the exhaust is the problem in the s3 and golf r. All other models don’t have the quad exhaust with big back box.

Had a test drive in both (5 door versions) before going for the S3. I found the Golf just felt that bit smaller and I didn’t take to the interior personally.

Also found the R’s brakes a bit grabby but I was coming out of an E90 M3 so may have just been the sensation of actually having some brakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had Audi's for the last number of years and a 8P S3 for 5 years so my decision was simple lol don't think I even considered the Golf as there were/are sooooooo many on the roads here in Northern Ireland

Or you could go for something like this

Reactions: Jimbob76
Cheers for the replies guys

Looks like Ive hit a snag with the Golf R and the S3

So im a mountain biker with an E-mtb which currently goes in the back of my B7 A4 Avant

So not to get the new car dirty/ruined by lifting in a 50lb bike every few days i was going to get a towbar fitted for a towbar bike rack

But it seems towbars cant be fitted to the Golf R or the S3 and due to the weight of the bike a roof rack or tailgate mounted rack are out of the question

A 2nd car/van for bike duties is out of the question due to parking/running cost of two vehicles

So it looks like ill have to have a re think

S3 Sportback with roof-rails and cycle carrier = problem solved! Roof rails will support up to 75kg, so capable of supporting 3 x 50lb bikes. Also offers the opportunity of roof box which can give you more load space than an A6 Avant. I faced the same dilemma as you - wanted hot hatch but needed practicality of an estate. Roof rails give me the best of both worlds.

7CEFCD9C 5FAC 4094 8C67 4839E1EF0B14

Reactions: SPIKE_, Starry, Boydie and 1 other person
S3 Sportback with roof-rails and cycle carrier = problem solved! Roof rails will support up to 75kg, so capable of supporting 3 x 50lb bikes. Also offers the opportunity of roof box which can give you more load space than an A6 Avant. I faced the same dilemma as you - wanted hot hatch but needed practicality of an estate. Roof rails give me the best of both worlds.

View attachment 164142
Very very nice @Jimbob76 :icon thumright:

View attachment 164142

Looks good. I have the roof rails on mine so might look into the bars and box. Rare to see them actually in use.
Is there any limits other than weight for the bars/box? Like speed?
I just have visions that the box is gonna come flying off when I’m doing 70+ mph or when I take a corner too enthusiastically

Can’t help on the space issue for bikes but can say that having owned a 2016 Golf R and now a 2018 S3 the S3 is slightly better although there really isn’t much in it at all the Golf has more standard kit the S3 feels a little more upmarket otherwise same car loads of both around so rarity between one or the other is minimal
For me though I didn’t get another Golf and got the S3 make of that what you will

Looks good. I have the roof rails on mine so might look into the bars and box. Rare to see them actually in use.
I just have visions that the box is gonna come flying off when I’m doing 70+ mph or when I take a corner too enthusiastically

Without incriminating myself I am highly confident that the roof box set-up I have would be completely secure at 90mph :whistle2:and no problem with cornering, just make sure it’s packed sensibly and stuff is strapped down inside.

Reactions: NevMan
go for decent aerodynamic bars and box, no issues

Reactions: AlS3BE, Adam14 and Jimbob76
Recommendations for roof bar on an S3 saloon? Noob question but how would they fit to the car, as I can't see anchoring points or anything.

Recommendations for roof bar on an S3 saloon? Noob question but how would they fit to the car, as I can't see anchoring points or anything.
Don’t think it’s an option on the saloon mate.

Definitely possible. You should be able to go for most types of bar. Thule and Whispbar are good brands - it’s then down to the fitting kit (i.e the feet that clamp to your roof). Best to do a bit of homework online. Check out The Roofbox Company and The Journey Centre.

68C3EF92 EF5A 4000 BA51 EF68A9616BA7

Reactions: Starry and NevMan
Definitely possible. You should be able to go for most types of bar. Thule and Whispbar are good brands - it’s then down to the fitting kit (i.e the feet that clamp to your roof). Best to do a bit of homework online. Check out The Roofbox Company and The Journey Centre.

View attachment 164149
Thanks for the reply mate, will give me something to do this weekend :whistle2:

View attachment 164149
+1 - Worth speaking to guys at roofbox company, very helpful as there are so many options. Thing I like about the Whispbar are: a) very quiet b) feet/adapters very reasonable, so when you change cars, just buy the correct adapters. I have used by current Whispbars on Ford S-Max (i know), A6 Avant

View attachment 164142
LOVE it :icon thumright:

Just looks great....I've got into the look of the roof box for some reason!

Cheers guys but a roof mounted rack and a tailgate mounted rack a big no no's im afraid

My back cant take lifting a 50lb bike on and off the roof 4 times on each ride and i average 4 rides a week, so that's 20 times per per week, its bad enough at the moment having to lift the bike up sideways and sliding it into the boot

Tailgate racks will just end up damaging the car due the nature of them (had them before with lighter bikes) plus the weight of a 50lb bike will do some damage im sure

Tow bar mount is the only way for me, im going to try and test drive a S3 and Golf R in the next couple of weeks and contact a few tow bar companies and see what they say with regards fitting one for bike rack use only

Tow bar mount is the only way for me, im going to try and test drive a S3 and Golf R in the next couple of weeks and contact a few tow bar companies and see what they say with regards fitting one for bike rack use only

Be good to know what they say as I was hoping to fit a tow bar mounted bike rack to my car. Just hadnt got that far yet having only had the car a couple of months and not being able to ride my bikes (broken collarbone)

Never seen anything like your describing before

My other main concern with roof racks is that most of the car parks i park in to go riding have height restrictions

If somehow i managed to get the bike on and off the roof without causing aggro to my back i know id be a dumbass and forget the bike was on the roof as i drove into the car park
75822 569373866424249 998180839 n

Reactions: NevMan, Jimbob76, JohnBarsby1 and 1 other person
I've done this before with a bike we had literally bought brand new 20 mins before. Cost my a couple of hundred pounds to get the roof filled and sprayed by a dent company. Luckily only damage to the bike was a bent seat post.

Should be a crime to fit roof bars / tow bar to an s or rs Audi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know its a bit different but is a Golf R estate feasible for the bike?

The Golf R estate is the same length as my B7 A4 Special edition Avant and im looking for something a little shorter/smaller

Gotta love a Gumball 3000 car @oli356 !

Clearly some extreme pix @JohnBarsby1 - but tongue in cheek making the point that roof bars allow me to drive the car I want to drive instead of a having to own a massive floaty barge for the 2% of occasions when I need the space. I have a box hoist in the garage, so the bars and box can be taken off/put on in 10 mins. 98% of the time I just drive my S3 Sportback without ‘em on, with a big Cheshire Cat grin on my face.

And when the bars and box are on, I reckon it still looks pretty damn fine. Each to their own I guess pal.

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan, oli356 and JohnBarsby1